1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Meike TTL Off-Camera Flash Remote Shoe Cord Issue

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by SVENS1, Apr 14, 2016.

1. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    I bought this off ebay for my E-pl5 and Meike Speedlite MK320
    Meike TTL Off-Camera Flash Remote Shoe Cord CB05 f Olympus E620 E3 E1 Evolt E510

According to the description, I assumed it would work, it does not.

"Compatible with ALL Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 and 4/3 with a hot shoe flash, with tripod.
    COMPATIBLE with flashes Olympus (since 'FL20 FL36 / FL40 FL50 R / R) Panasonic DMW-FL360 and FL500 ALL other compatible flash for Olympus / Panasonic (sigma, yongnuo, Tumax, vivitar, metz, etc. etc.)."

Did I misinterpret the description? Today I contacted the seller and he said, it would not work with my flash according to the description. Too bad as it's really nice quality......

Any suggestions exactly which Off-Camera cord will work with my set-up?

2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I do not have this combination, but I ran into an odd problem trying to find an off-camera cable for my EM1 and FL600R flash. I bought two off-camera cables, one was a Canon compatible one that was reputed to be Olympus compatible and the other was an Olympus specific cable, both 3rd party. Both cables supported TTL communication was working, but neither would trigger the flash to go off when the shutter was released. I tested the cables on my EM5 with the FL600R flash and both worked fine, but refused to trigger with the EM1. I tried scraping paint off part of the contacts on the EM1 hotshoe, but still haven't got it to work. What da heck?

Sorry I can't help you, but I can't understand why we have these problems.

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    It looks like it should work. Right number of pins in what looks like the correct positions. Could it be when you put it on your are not pushing one side or the other all the way on so the pins line up properly with the mating contacts?

As mentioned in holoholo55's post, did the cord not work at all? Or did it do things like seem to be communicating with the camera but wouldn't fire the flash? For example, if your flash has a zoom head, when you change your lens's zoom, if TTL communication is working the flash head should zoom with the lens.

4. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    You mess around buying cheap .... does not work .... get an Olympus FL-CB05 ..... You will save money in the long run

5. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    All contacts mated. No TTL communication, Flash would only fire when the flash was set at M mode
    Checked cable ends continuity with a multimeter, all pins beep but, the large center pin where I get a resistance reading.
    I don't know if this is normal or not for a cable.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ..... some cords have diodes on the center pin ...... like the previous poster said, save yourself a lot of grief, time and money, get the proper Olympus cable ......

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks Sammyboy, looked inside the ends and did find a rectifying M7 Diode attached to the triggering pin.
    This prevents the triggering pin from making the same direct contact the flash would have when attached to the hotshoe of the camera.
    I do play around with electronics and build metal detectors......so I am looking into the diode being the culprit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I guess you could try jumping around the diode and see if it works.

9. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Did some more research and found many had similar problems.
    I did check the contact points, they are round, looked like the all made contact with the camera.
    Jumping the Diode may not make a difference, basically there to protect a high voltage spike from going back to the camera using older high voltage flashes.
    As some have removed the Diode and saw no improvement.
    A clue may be the length of the cable, too high of resistance so the camera cannot communicate with the camera.

10. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Rather than waste time and energy, I could sell my flash and buy the proper one and be done with it.
    But, at the time who knew I would have liked to try insect etc. macro shots out doors with a remote flash..........