Showcase Meike 35mm f/1.4

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
I find myself shooting in 30mm range a lot on zooms. I picked this one for some manual focus fooling around. Could not find a review for mft mount online, so excuse a brief one of my own. It may help someone.

Build quality surprised me a bit for so cheap lens. All metal. Very smooth focusing and aperture rings. Aperture ring is declicked and a little close to the mount. Correct distance markings, with closest focusing distance of 40cm. Observable focus breathing for vid use. Lens extends externally a bit when focusing, so a bit of a worry regarding that in the elements and dust. Aperture ring is a little quirky and has a lot of travel from f1.4 to f2.8, then later goes very quickly from f5.6 to max of f18. Annoying, and rare 49mm thread, compared to 46mm on a lot of first party lenses. Last element protrudes a little, but I think I could fit 49mm to 46mm step-down ring if I wanted to without problems. Came with quality metal lens cap that just slides over the lens, but since it does not lock I already nearly lost it in the woods. No hood. Fringes like mad at f1.4 on contrasting scenes, a bit of nice soft glow there as well. Performs decently when closed down to around f4, still never rally goes away. Centre sharpness is quite good, but corner sharpness and barrel distortions remain a problem even at f8 and past. Vignettes surprisingly little, being hardly noticeable even wide open. There's also a bit of that purple and green glare when shooting into bright lights that's often seen on mft lenses. Still, coating does it's job well.

All in all a fun, flawed lens. Corner performance and fringing are main drawbacks that make it tricky at times. Still need to try it at far and mid landscape, but I don't think it'll work well there. Until I take it somewhere, here are some fairly heavily edited close ups to start the thread.

200 1-320 s-sharpen-sharpen.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

200 1-1250 s-sharpen-sharpen.jpg

200 1-320 s3.jpg

Razvito-S1214370001-001.jpg

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Thanks. I really like the 35mm FOV on M43. I have a Rokkor MD50 1.7 that gives me 35mm on a speed-booster, but loses corner sharpness (lovely combination otherwise). I bought a big Samyang/Rokinon 35mm 1.4 which is fantastic - but it is a very big and heavy lens, ok o the E-M1, not so much on the small E-PL7 - so was wondering how the little 35mm options including this and the 7artisans 1.2 perform. Would love to see more images with some comments about aperture to see how it performs - only if you have a chance, please do not go out of your way with that.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks. I really like the 35mm FOV on M43. I have a Rokkor MD50 1.7 that gives me 35mm on a speed-booster, but loses corner sharpness (lovely combination otherwise). I bought a big Samyang/Rokinon 35mm 1.4 which is fantastic - but it is a very big and heavy lens, ok o the E-M1, not so much on the small E-PL7 - so was wondering how the little 35mm options including this and the 7artisans 1.2 perform. Would love to see more images with some comments about aperture to see how it performs - only if you have a chance, please do not go out of your way with that.
I have the f/1.7 Meike and the f/1.2 7artisans 35mm lenses. I got the Meike because the 7artisans is small and fiddly with gloves on in the winter. But despite that I still grab the 7artisans most of the time. Both are sharp enough when stopped down that I am happy submitting images made with them to clients/editors and have had a couple of shots published with the 7artisans 35mm lens wide open.

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not in the habit of noting apertures, but I can deduce from few images of the same set that leaf one was taken at f1.4 or close.

Aperture test of a wall at close distance:

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
Few taken recently. Both in a range of f5-f8.

Top uncropped, bottom cropped only on the sky.

G85 + MK35

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular
Apple tree blooming

S-Osolin

Mu-43 Regular

Stumbled on some comparisons that I did. No precise way to know which aperture I was on, but it's roughly wide open, then closed down. Shutter speed is in the file name.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom