Meike 3.5mm review from Micro Four Nerds

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
Thanks for the video. Looks like it could be fun. I haven't used my Rokinon 7.5mm a whole lot which is not as crazy as this one. It's cool there are oddball lenses for particular creative endeavors.

I was thinking of getting this but I have a E-M1.2 and with a 3.5mm wouldn't it be slightly worse then the 4mm?
In Richard Wong's video, he explains that the Meike 3.5mm is bigger (the front element is farther away from the sensor). In the case of the G85, this meant that the front element was in front of the grip, so the grip wouldn't be in the shot.

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
In Richard Wong's video, he explains that the Meike 3.5mm is bigger (the front element is farther away from the sensor). In the case of the G85, this meant that the front element was in front of the grip, so the grip wouldn't be in the shot.
Thanks, I'll have to have a look at Robin's video.

My Meike arrived from Hong Kong on Friday. Like the other Meike fisheye I have, the all-metal construction feels really nice, especially given the price. I haven't had much time to play with it, but I thought the traffic circle in the center of town would be a fitting subject for a test.

This lens is WIDE. The E-M1iii handgrip shows up in frame, so I used the E-M5II and you've got to keep your fingers behind the camera or they show up in the shot!

E-M5II Meike 3.5mm at f/5.6. I think this one is an in-camera HDR. Cropped and reduced to 2000px.
P7120113-edit-resize.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BJC1982

Mu-43 Regular
Steve,
Nice shot. Please update this thread with your thoughts as you gain more experience with this lens. This is the first time I'm actually interested in a fisheye lens. It looks like a fun lens.

Real Name
Paul
Got my copy on Friday as well. It seems well built with a surprising amount of heft for it's size. The lens cap is awkward and ineffective; it drops right off the lens fairly easily if you turn it upside down. Admittedly, there's not much you could do at this price point with style of lens, but it's still a little annoying. It is the only manual focus lens in my collection, so most of my shots so far have missed focus (obviously my fault). Image quality is ok; some of the microcontrast transitions are a little weird but again- it's a cheap lens. It will be fun to experiment further. Here's a couple I took while fishing off the Oregon coast on Saturday...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom