Mega Video Camera Shootout at Zacuto.com - Episode I: Dynamic Range

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    1001 Noisy Cameras points the way to a massive video camera shootout at Zacuto.com. Episode one of the shootout deals with dynamic range.

The shootout pits the Micro 4/3 Panasonic AG-AF100 against some heavy competition including the 35mm Kodak 5213 & 5219 film cameras, Arri Alexa, RED ONE M-X, Weisscam HS-2, Phantom Flex, Sony F-35, Sony F3, Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 1D Mark IV and Nikon D7000.

Very interesting shootout, even for a still photography guy like me who is never going to buy any of these cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks. That was very interesting.

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Very interesting...my favorite was the guy emphasizing the importance of the script and the cast and the story. It's easy for that nugget of info to get lost in all of the tests, in video and in stills...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yep, I definitely had a kevinparis moment there. A nice reminder that all that they were measuring was not going to make the difference between a great film and a poor one.

Also, they mentioned several times that they were choosing and lighting the scenes to illustrate the limitations of the cameras but could otherwise have applied their technical and lighting expertise to give the desired results using any of those cameras. Pixel peeping with perspective :2thumbs:.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The other interesting thing that might be lost is that you need to work within the limits of your equipment. This test does not show which camera is the "best." It simply shows response.

Posted with Amin's.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a great link... on all sort of levels, including the documentary itself which was both educational and entertaining.

also thanks to Amin.... i've never had a moment named after me... I am both humbled and honored :)

K

• Like Like x 1
  7. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Indeed, a great documentary, and, to some level, even strictly micro4/3 !
    If I'm not mistaken, our micro4/3 cameras share the sensor with the Panasonic AG-AF100 !

I'm looking forward to the next episodes !

C U,
    Rafael

8. compositor20

compositor20 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2010
    Arri alexa won then to me came sony f35

9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Just did a quick bit of googling to find out the price of the Arri Alexa..... beleive it to be in the region of 60,000 dollars... as for the f35... well sony wont give a price.... though I did find the cost of a powersupply....1500 dollars.... oh and 300 bucks for a power cable.

Oh and that arri price doesn't include a lens.... you can get a nice set of Leica primes for a mere 178000 dollars for the set :)

these are definately big boys toys......

K

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    A Sony SRW-9000PL HDCAM-SR Camcorder is $82,350.

11. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 1