Mega OIS on or off?

Barking

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jeff
Hi all.... hope someone can help?

I use an EM5.... have just picked up a Panasonic 45-200 with MEGA OIS.

Q. Should I have this on or off? Does it contradict with any stabilisation in the body?

It will be a multi purpose lens..

Thanks Jeff

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob

Q. Should I have this on or off? Does it contradict with any stabilisation in the body?

Thanks Jeff
I know with older Olympus cameras you turn off the lens and rely on the IBIS or turn of the IBIS and use the lens stabilization. Newer Panasonic cameras work with the lens stabilization but I don't know if Olympus ever added that capability.

Barking

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jeff
I know with older Olympus cameras you turn off the lens and rely on the IBIS or turn of the IBIS and use the lens stabilization. Newer Panasonic cameras work with the lens stabilization but I don't know if Olympus ever added that capability.
Many thanks... I've had a read through the manual and it looks like it's one of the other... I'll have to try the various methods...have also learnt a few more things about the focusing options .. must read some more 😁

Real Name
Butch Oakey
Many thanks... I've had a read through the manual and it looks like it's one of the other... I'll have to try the various methods...have also learnt a few more things about the focusing options .. must read some more 😁
Have you found out about making the focusing spot smaller on your E-M5? Didn't find out about it myself until after having it for a long time and it sure makes things better.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
It is pretty well established that when you use a non-Olympus lens, you should turn OFF the lens' stabilization and just use the IBIS. As RevBob says, you could do the opposite - turn the IBIS off and turn on the lens stabilization, but it's easier to just leave the IBIS on all the time and the lens IS off all the time.

Some of the newest Olympus lenses have IS in them that will work in conjunction with the IS in the body of some of the newest Oly cameras (E-M5III, etc), but that's something pretty new. So, in other words, don't think about it, don't test it. Just turn off the IS in any non-Oly lens attached to an Oly camera.

Barking

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jeff
It is pretty well established that when you use a non-Olympus lens, you should turn OFF the lens' stabilization and just use the IBIS. As RevBob says, you could do the opposite - turn the IBIS off and turn on the lens stabilization, but it's easier to just leave the IBIS on all the time and the lens IS off all the time.

Some of the newest Olympus lenses have IS in them that will work in conjunction with the IS in the body of some of the newest Oly cameras (E-M5III, etc), but that's something pretty new. So, in other words, don't think about it, don't test it. Just turn off the IS in any non-Oly lens attached to an Oly camera.
Thanks...I have tested it by turning off the lens IOS...Seems fine in fact when I also altered the focusing to allow manual tweaking, together with auto focus, I'm quite impressed with this lens...

Think my question has now been resolved... thanks to everyone who chipped in 😁😁

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As of NOW, there are only TWO Olympus lenses that do Sync IS, the 12-100/4 and 300/4.
It is hoped/expected that the "to be released" new lenses have OIS, and support Sync IS. But the OIS will also raise the price of the lenses.

As I recall, general concensus is that for LONG lenses, OIS works better than IBIS.
Having said that, IBIS seems to work just fine with my 75-300, at 300mm.

JeffWorsnop

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Jeff

Thanks Jeff
iOS on 35-100 f2.8 very blurred if used with Olympus ibis switched on. It's one or the other but not both together.

Jeff

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
First and foremost - body and lenses only work together when they are the same brand, Panasonic/Panasonic or Olympus/Olympus.

Second - assuming this is the 45-200 version 1 and E-M5 mkI your options my be even more limited. The version I of the 45-200 was never updated (to my knowledge) to support Panasonic's Dual IS system, it's one of the reasons Panasonic released version II. If you have the mkI of the E-M5 than I'm not sure you have the option for to select "lens priority" for IBIS. That's the setting on the body that determines if the lens has OIS active and then automatically turns the body IBIS on/off.

For simplicity I would turn the lens OIS off and use IBIS. If you know you're always going to be at 150-200mm than you might want to try it both ways. Some find OIS better at longer ranges.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
As I recall, general consensus is that for LONG lenses, OIS works better than IBIS.
Yes and no. I think what all of the posts in this thread are attempting to speak to is stabilization's ability to correct camera motion about the roll, pitch, and yaw axes plus translations in the x and y directions. Five axis IBIS does all of these where OIS does only pitch and yaw. So, as a general default, if one has to choose between either IBIS or OIS, IBIS is probably going to be preferable. If a visual is helpful, various videos of IBIS operation like this one for the E-M5 II are around.

IBIS sensor movement.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

However, for a given amount of pitch or yaw rotation the compensating x or y sensor movement required is proportional to the focal length and the usual trivial angle of view maths yield the figure above. Thus, the longer a lens is, the more useful it is for IBIS to receive pitch and yaw support from OIS. I'm not aware of any actual measurements of how far IBIS can shift sensors but a total range of motion in the vicinity of 1 mm, and therefore ±500 μm from the sensor's centre position, is probably appropriate. In practice, the exposure probably doesn't start with the sensor centred. So the available range of motion may also be greater or smaller than the nominal amount, depending the position of the sensor and directions of camera movements. (Olympus has some menu options offering some control over recentring.)

The focal length range where OIS becomes valuable depends on the amount of camera movement relative to IBIS shift ability and the size of the lens's image circle, so it (potentially) depends on the lens-body combination as well as photographer/camera/monopod/tripod stability and the circumstances. As a result, there's a fairly wide range for where dual IS becomes a noticeable improvement. It's anecdotal but, based on various observations on various threads here, I'd suggest somewhere between 150 and 300 mm. Particularly towards the longer end of this, there might be cases where OIS only becomes preferable to IBIS only.

I feel some of the other posts above oversimplify and would encourage folks interested in getting the most from their equipment to do some testing.

As a bit of an aside, another corollary of the angle of view geometry is the importance of x and y axis IBIS increases with increasing magnification. However, as magnification approaches and exceeds 1x z axis stabilization becomes increasingly valuable, particularly when focus bracketing, and neither IBIS or OIS helps with that.

Last edited:

Barking

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the response (having a few issues accessing the site!)...a lot of the technical stuff goes over my head, but I get the point. Whilst I was more than happy with the 'plastic fantastic' this lens seems a notch above. I have turned off the lens IOS... and everything seems fine... still in test mode...cheers

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom