MEGA O.I.S. Optical Image Stabilizer settings

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sprinke, May 13, 2011.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Has anyone played around with the three OIS settings on the GH2? Does anyone have any recommendations for the best settings? I've read the manual but it's not very enlightening.

For example, the manual states:

Do you think that this implies that if the jitter alert is NOT displayed, that one should turn off OIS?

Also, I understand the specific application of MODE3 (panning side to side) but I am unclear on the practical differences between MODE1 and MODE2.

In MODE1, does that mean that the OIS is trying to stabilize everything that it sees all the time, even when the shutter is not pressed? What are the implications of switching between MODE1 and MODE2?
  2. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Mode 1 stabilizes the image all the time, so you see a stabilized image on your screen. This is helpful when trying to focus manually and is always on when in movie mode.

Mode 2 only stabilizes when the shutter is pressed. That means you don't see the stabilized image on your screen. But Panasonic says the M.O.I.S. gives the best results in Mode 2.
  3. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    I use only Mode 2. I think it saves a bit of juice too... but the main reason is I don't think those little gymbal mechanicals in the lens need to be swinging aorund all the time like that:)

Bokeh D
  4. Trigeek

Trigeek Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 3