MeFoto Tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Wasabi Bob, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

While visiting the WPPI show, I discovered the MeFoto tripods. They offer 3 sizes: The Back Packer, The Road Trip and The Globe Trotter. I ordered the Road Trip that folds down to only 15.4" and extends to 61.6". It weighs 3.6 lbs and can support up to 17.6 lbs. They are constructed of anodized aluminum, and available in several colors.

The best part of the design is that one leg disconnects, and pairs with the center section to form a sturdy monopod. This neat little package (MSRP $189) fits in my back pack and fills all my needs. If weight is important, it's also available in a carbon fiber version at a higher cost.

MeFOTO RoadTrip Travel Tripod Kits | Available in Eight Colors | Converts to Monopod

2. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    I have the backpacker. Thing can fold down to about 12 inches but it lacks the monopod feature that the Road Trip model has. None the less, still an awesome tripod :thumbup:

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    From MeFoto site "Great for point & shoot, mirrorless, micro 4/3 and DSLR cameras with larger lenses. ".
    they differentiate :43: from the mirrorless crowd and put it in an higher place.:smile:

4. Totoro

Totoro Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    I got the backpacker version about two weeks ago from a lightning deal on Amazon ($110 shipped), and I'm very happy with it.

5. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Wow, that may be what I have been looking for..I like to hike but hate taking my tripod

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  7. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I'm intrigued by these. What makes me nervous about the BackPacker is that the center column is always extended. Seems like it would sway around during long exposures. Any thoughts?

8. Wasabi Bob

Cost $175 does not include the head. Add that and you are basically the same as the mefoto in carbon fiber version

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yes and no. I picked up a head for 50 bucks that works fine for me. So yeah, at 225 its more money, but not as expensive as the mefoto carbon fiber version, which I think is running 330. The thing I like though is that its only 4 section instead of 5. For those who need more compactness, obviously 5 section probably would be better at the expensense of stability.

I wish I had a good camera store here, but I don't, and when I started doing some searching into some of these tripods, like benro, mefoto, sirui, and a few others for traveling, they all seemed extremly similar and I had no idea what the build quality differences are.

10. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Im not sure if theres a new version of this tripod but the version I have can retract and extend the center column

Edit: I see what you mean now. the center column is always extended about 6 inches. I was referring to the center column being able to extend a couple extra inches beyond that.

11. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Very similar to the Benro Angel I had years ago, very compact and stable for the price. Just not a fan of twist locks so I had to sell.

12. Wasabi Bob

The mefoto is made by Benro, according to the carton

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    From what I've read the MeFoto line slots in just below Benro's "Travel Angel" line. From the specs the size difference between the MeFoto Road Trip and the smallest Transfunctional Travel Angel I have are pretty minimal. The MeFoto is actually a bit taller and supports more weight than the small TTA while collapsing to a shorter length.

I've been really happy with my TTA and I love the monopod capability. I suspect the MeFoto would perform similarly.

14. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Looking at my previous PMs here, DeeJayK, I sold you your Benro! lol. unless you have (down)upgraded since.

15. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    I'm thinking about getting a Capture Clip system and using its quick release plate on my Backpacker tripod. I need to confirm if I can replace the Backpacker's quick release plate with a Capture quick release plate.

Apparently the quick release plate that comes with the Backpacker is a "Q" series Arca-Swiss Style Benro PU50 Quick Release Plate. Benro doesn't actually have a "Q" series ballhead on their website, but their "B" heads are known to be compatible with the Capture Clip system, and in Benro's tech specs, the "B" series heads are also called the PU50. Can anyone confirm that a Capture Clip plate will work with the Benro/MeFOTO Backpacker tripod?

I snagged one on the same sale. Reviews were really great and I needed a light tripod so I pulled the trigger. Of the available colors, I chose hot red. :smile:

The Backpacker has a hook on the bottom of that center column so you can hang a backpack for added stability.

My sense using it a bit was it's pretty sensitive and has to be used with a remote trigger or timer. The camera moved with pretty much any light touch. Don't have enough experience with tripods to compare, maybe this is just the nature of light travel tripods.

16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Guilty as charged. :smile:

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I was just looking at the Sirui tripods and their small ones seem similar in that that center column doesn't collapse all the way down.

18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

IMO, the best backpack tripod is by far the Gitzo 5 section carbon traveler (1510 was the old model). But.... there's one problem. The price. If you can afford it and use a tripod a lot, its worth the price. IMO.

I got to see both the meFoto and the Sirui T-005 in person at my local camera shop to make a decision on these two pretty well priced options. Right off the bat, one of the meFoto tripods on display was broken... so that didn't help the Benro product too much. Both are similar in design... reversible legs... including ball head.. multiple available colors.. twist locks.. aluminum material. The Sirui folds shorter than the MeFOTO. Sirui is also lighter. Both have a fixed center column that can only extend further up. The center column didn't bother me much as I would rather bring a full sized tripod for ultimate stability. These tripods are meant to be portable first and stable second.

I also took a quick look at the carbon verson of the Sirui (T-025) and I wasn't really impressed by it. Basically the same tripod as the T-005 but with carbon tubes for the legs. Its kinda gimmicky... more for marketing and attention. In comparison, the Gitzo 5 section traveler was designed as the most compact of the Gitzo traveler series from the get-go... including the magnesium ball head and other magnesium hardware. The T-025 is also LONGER folded than the T-005 and only a "tad" lighter. The ball head is the same as the T-005 as well.

With that, I decided to go with the Sirui T-005. The biggest selling point, was that it was shorter when collapsed. Short enough to fit inside most of my bags (not all are camera designed bags). Second, its price. So far so good except the included arca swiss baseplate doesn't have much surface area and doesn't have a built in handle to twist on tight. Does slow you down when attaching the plate AND if you put some leverage into twisting the camera, it can come loose. Its ok since I rely mostly on L brackets anyways.

My previous "travel" tripod is a Culmann Magic 2. Its a pretty nifty flat folding design and worked well over the years. Its not the most stable but it fits well into most bags including a backpack.

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yep. I have one (T-005). Very nice tripod. I use it for long exposures with remote release. I set focus point via touchscreen though. I use the RRS plate for my EM5 and a Kirk P&S plate for my EPM2. I'm a fair weather photog, so I don't need a heavy duty tripod. :biggrin:

--
    Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Please pardon my brevity!

20. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    MeFoto Travel Tripod is compatible with Capture Clip system

Just wanted to follow up on this and in case anyone else is interested, the Capture Clip quick release plate for m4/3 is compatible with the MeFoto Travel Tripod. Hooray!