1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

MeFoto tripod - anyone used one.?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by winnie123, Sep 3, 2013.

1. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    I recently saw a thread that had a link pointing to a page with pictures and information on the MeFoto range of tripods. Really liked the look of them as I love the little flashes of colour but also the fact that they fold up small enough to fit in a backpack.

I read in another review that they may not be that sturdy, although are considered suitable for :43:cameras.

Does anyone have any experience of them that they can share or any information on other brands that produce tripods that fold up to under 15" in length.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have a Sirui T-005 that I really like, and it also comes in colors like the MeFoto. I chose the Sirui because it folds up even smaller than the MeFoto and has three leg angles instead of two.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I was already to buy one of the tiny MeFoto tripods and as I was operating it, it came apart. That might not have kept me from buying, but the camera shop salesman couldn't get it back together so that it was stay together! I moved on.

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
  5. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    I also got a Sirui T-005 because it was cheaper than the MeFoto and on top of that it folds smaller.

But I consider the backpacker to be very much similar to the T-005. I am very satisfied with it.

My number one criteria was that it needed to be small and light while being decently sturdy. So far, I must say it is great because of its size I never have the excuse to leave it at home. I do try not to use the tripod fully extended when I can, usually its not a problem... But whenever I have the need for something that goes higher, its there. Its not the studiest, but definitively works for m43.

6. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I've got a MeFoto and I really like it. It even gets occassional duty holding my FF rig, so it's more than suitable for anything a m4/3 rig can throw at it. I haven't used the other tripods being mentioned in this thread, but I'll give a thumbs up to the MeFoto anyhow.

7. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I've got a bright green MeFoto, it folds up very compact and it's nice and light which makes it a good match for my micro 4/3rds gear.

No it's not as stable as my full size Manfrotto tripod and no I wouldn't use it with my DSLR gear but for a travel tripod it suits me fine.

I took some quick shots to show the size of the MeFoto tripod compared to an OMD and bag (the bag normally has a 12-50 and a 75-300 II in it) and some closer shots so the original poster can get an idea of the build.

DSC_0021-M.

DSC_0028-M.

DSC_0027-M.

DSC_0023-M.

Attached Files:

8. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Forgot the me foto and go for a Slik compact instead. Here's why:
    - similar deminsions but 1/5 the cost. Yes, that's right.
    - the Slik can be configured to shoot at heights lower than its smallest size.

Another biggie: the Slik has clip locks to lock the legs; the me foto had twist locks. The clips are more durable, not subject to getting dirt in the threads AND they require less effort and less time to set up.

I've used a Slik compact for about 12 years and it's been a joy.
    Quick release plates are available if you want one.

9. cueball

cueball Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Oklahoma
    My wife has a MeFoto and I think it's perfect for u43-sized setups.

10. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I have the Road Trip, Back Packer and Globe Trotter. All three good tripods for the money. My fav is the Road Trip which is a good combo of size, performance for M43 cameras. Mine is in red which I love and one leg can become a monopod which I sometimes use as a boom for a mic or light.

IMG_6006.JPG

Attached Files:

11. sonicxpx

sonicxpx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    HCMC, Vietnam
    Linh Vo
  12. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Thanks for this, the photo's are helpful as they do confirm the size & style is what i want. Its looks quite sturdy and the green is a nice touch. :smile:

Attached Files:

13. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Thanks for the photo G - it reminds me of one of the other things I like about these tripods, the fact that it has a hook for your bag to help stabalise the tripod.
    Loving the Red combo - must get you noticed:thumbup:

Attached Files:

14. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I never thought I'd call the green on my MeFoto subtle but compared to the red with red camera strap it's actually rather staid looking :biggrin:

(PS love that red combo of tripod and strap!)

15. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M

Attached Files:

16. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    That looks smart & is the right size & a good price. I'll take a look on amazon uk (we can't use amazon.com in the uk) to see if they have it over here & what price it is - we always pay more!

17. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    I have the Backpacker from Mefoto. Really very nice for the micro four thirds systems. I have found it to be worth the $. And the head that it comes with seems fine.

18. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Yeah I def draw attention on the street. It's a good thing though. I find that often people come to me to ask about photography and my gear. It's a great way to break the ice and allows me the opp to take their portrait.

If I do make their portrait I WiFi to my iPhone and send them a copy on the spot with an app called Handle Share which gives them all my social feeds.

• Like Like x 1
  19. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I don't have the MeFoto but a ProMaster copy (or it might be made in the same factory) that is just like the MeFoto and even the same price (bought it locally at a camera store that doesn't have the MeFoto).

It's an excellent tripod and if the MeFoto is even better than it's worth having since the ProMaster is excellent. My urbex work makes travelling compact and light a necessity (especially at my age) and the lightweight tripod fills the bill for me with micro four thirds and the X100. Presumably with the X-E1 I have now as well.

It was Giulio's site that first turned me on to the quality possible with the small travel tripods. I was going for a MeFoto but took what I could get on short notice and it has worked out -- but I'm sure the MeFoto is a better idea.

• Like Like x 1
  20. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Isn't technology great - I bet they love that - an instant Facebook profile pic :biggrin:.

I remember how we felt in the eighties when our company purchased some of the first small Apple Mac's - thought we were the bee's knee's. We've come a long way since then :wink: