1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MeFoto Tripod and OMD?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Heavy Doody, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I typically keep my tripod mount plate attached to the bottom of the camera so it's quick and easy to attach to and remove from the tripod. Since I'm a Black Rapid strap user, it's a perfect fit to be able to attach my strap to the loop under the plate that you use to tighten it.

[​IMG]

The problem I have is that my tripod plate is a little too deep (front-to-back) and interferes with the flip screen. I'm able to get the screen open if I remember to lift from the bottom first, but if I pull the top out first, then try to pull the bottom, it buts up against the plate and won't open.

[​IMG]

I wonder if either of the MeFoto tripod heads...

A. Function the same way with the detachable plate with the loop on the bottom.

B. Has a little more breathing room so you can move the flip screen freely.

Anyone have a MeFoto and an OMD so they can test this for me? If so, let me know which MeFoto you have. I don't know if the RoadTrip and BackPacker have the same head or not.

Thanks.

2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    The OM-D flip screen generally doesn't play well with tripod plates. The solution is to use one of the grips. The OEM grip creates enough space for the screen to flip, and some of the 3rd party grips function as qr plates.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I would consider the Peak Microplate, which is compatible with ARCA tripod mounts (believe that's what the Mefoto uses, but please double-check) and of course Peak's Capture clip, Leash & Cuff systems.

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=56

I've got one along with the Capture Clip, Leash and Cuff- and love the flexibility it offers. I don't recall having any issue opening up the flip screen, but I don't have the camera on me now to confirm.

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    There's also the RRS plate for the E-M5:

BOEM5: Plate for OM-D E-M5 - BOEM5

You'd have to buy the Fastenr FR-3 from Black Rapid, but I think it would work with the RRS plate.

I really like the RRS plate. Always stays on the camera, doesn't inhibit battery access and the camera sits flat.

5. kponds

kponds Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2013
    Tennessee
    Hey, I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to say that you should not be doing what you're doing by attaching the blackrapid to the manfrotto tripod screw. The thumb ring on the tripod screw is not designed to be weight-bearing like that. Blackrapid makes a replacement screw that works great with the manfrotto plate. Just don't want to have it break and your camera fall to the ground.

6. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD

Second this setup.
    Have a Black Rapid Sport and do not need any additional fastener.
    The screen swings out perfectly.

No issues!!!
    :smile:

7. jjviegas

jjviegas Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    I have no problem with the MeFoto plate and the flip screen, it's just right. I'm also considering the L-Bracket for the OM-D from RRS.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    +1 on the Peak, the micro plate (and leash and cuff and capture) work(s) very well. Although I would not feel secure attaching a) a metal fastener that could damage body or lens and b) attachng it to the bolt, which could potentially loosen and allow the camera to, well, fall.