Meet the Panasonic GX1

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Shown below are 3 of the 17 leaked photos of the upcoming Panasonic GX1 from Mobile01.com:

6290004063_5151aebf2b_z.

6290521462_9af2ed7faa_z.

6290521496_94ae964089_z.

Looks like a cross between a Panasonic LC1 and a GF1/2.

According to Digicame-info, the Panasonic GX1 will be announced on November 8. Rumored specs are here: https://www.mu-43.com/f92/panasonic-gx1-announced-november-8-a-17636/

Still unclear whether this has the old GF1 sensor, the G3 sensor, or something else. Those who have been biding their time looking for a GF1 replacement are likely going to want to see an improved sensor, at least on par with the G3.

[Thanks Holmes375]

2. creezalird

creezalird Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    looks like e-p3 to my eyes..lols

3. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Seems like all 'leaked' shots are taken with some super duper wide angle that distorts everything and everyone is allergic to shoot stuff head on.

Looks like they're going for a GF1 successor. Still no dual control dials, and if it retains the old 12mpix sensor then I'll be forced to use an e-p3.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I know they're going to cop it for leaving out the viewfinder and articulated screen, but to my eyes this just seems like a very solid, no bulls*#t replacement for GF1.

My guess, dpr-lurkers will rant endlessly, enthusiasts/users will love it :smile:

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks good! I wonder what the sensor will be? If they release a new EVF, this thing will be solid. Too bad it doesn't have IBIS!

6. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    It looks a little off to me, I wonder if it's the real deal. I can't put my finger on it, but something looks a bit doctored. Maybe it's just the weird angles, but I can't shake the feeling that it's either a mock up or fake ;)

I like the look of the grip, I missed that more than anything when I owned a GF1 for a short stint as a backup to my GH2. Here's hoping for a G3 sensor!

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think it looks solid - dig on the big knob. :biggrin:

Seriously, it will be interesting to see if you can control everything w/o diving into the touchscreen and I am extremely curious to see what the processor and sensor end up being.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, definitely a spycam. :) It's actually rather good quality for a spycam though. I'm impressed. I wonder where it was hidden?

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think we can pretty much tell how much reliance you'll have to the touch screen by the amount of external controls on the back of the camera... I'd say it looks like a decent amount of button/wheel control but nothing special, good or bad.

10. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Heeeeeeeeello Wanna-Be-E-P3 :)

11. thon410

thon410 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Malaysia
    I want one.

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    eh, I was annoyed at first, but then I realized it was a true direct replacement of the GF1. Why would it have a built in VF? I would gladly upgrade my GF1 if I could afford it, heh. There is still a place for a "p&s" like camera for me.

Honestly, after using the G3, I'd just like a less bulky hump if they can do it, or match the NEX7's EVF, raise the Fn1 button (i put sugru on it, makes it 100x easier), add ae/af lock button back, and give me a stop or two of dynamic range improvement and I'll be happy. Yeah, "just" those things =P

13. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Tempting to upgrade from a GF1! Can't wait to see/hear more about the sensor and other details.

Time to start saving my pennies (and hiding them from the wife!)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums

14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Without a built in viewfinder a tilt and swivel LCD becomes crucial for me. Except for a better sensor there is nothing that attracts me over my GF1 and GF2.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Nice to see a Palm user making use of our Tapatalk installation. I'll always have a soft spot for Palm.

16. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    I agree with zpierce. Something looks off. If this is it, I'm just not feeling it. I'm with Amin's comment from the other day that what is important is the connection you feel to a camera. That feeling is there with my GF1. No it doesn't have the latest sensor or processor, but you know what, I'm happy with the results I get from it and with the Squinno leather half case it fits perfectly in my hand and hearkens back to the old rangefinders I'm to young to have used in their heyday. I'm content with my GF1. Think I'll go out and shoot a bunch of pictures this weekend. :)

17. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    There's no way the grip in the first picture is OEM.

If it does have the G3 (or better) sensor, it will be a hit, depending on the price.

18. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I think I've asked this about 50 times when I see it happen, but are you thinking of the G3?
    People complain about the viewfinder bump seemingly without realising that it must take up space. It's either raise the entire height of the camera to remove a bump, or just let it have a bump. Either way it has to add volume to it, and there's always a compromise.

panasonic-dmc-g3.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The pricing will be interesting. Without viewfinder and tilty screen like the G3, it would HAVE to be cheaper, right?

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    But how do we know this screen isn't a vibrant OLED or something?