Medium-weight tripods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave Reynell, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

As a enthusiastic landscape photographer, I have learned that to get the best out of one's camera lens, it is always advisable to use a tripod.

I suppose that this is what you folk on the western side of the Atlantic ocean would call a no-brainer.

For several years I have owned and used a compact Manfrotto tripod which has served me well, but have noticed that when using it with a medium telephoto (Pentax 135/f2.5) on my Panasonic G1, it is not ideal. Legacy lenses need to be manually focussed and to do this effectively one has to enlarge the image in the viewfinder/or on the flip-out screen. It is here where I have noticed just how "wobbly" this image becomes as one rotates the focussing ring.

Presumably, I need a heavier tripod. Any tips ? Preferably Manfrotto.
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    I bought a few week ago a Sirui N-1004X tripod it is very sturdy with a superb ball head the G10X. I highly recommend it I have used it with the P100-300 and also used the mono pod option.
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I can't think of many tripods that won't wobble a little when you turn the MF ring zoomed in 10x. I'm perfectly happy with my RedGed TS424 (4-section carbon fibre travel tripod) with RedGed RNB-1 (I think) ball-head. The trick to keeping this one working ideally is keeping it low, center column down and hanging something heavy (daypack) from the hook on the center column. Adds weight to the entire setup without adding mass.

And use either a 10 second delay and/or remote shutter release (cheapies on eBay for not much money work fine).

BTW, jealous of your location. I have very fond memories of my months in the Western Cape (did a research internship in Cape Town, and loved exploring the surroundings - fresh oysters and wreck diving in Knysna, for instance. I've been back once, and will definitely be back again...)