Medium format lesn on mirroless?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by battleaxe, Jul 29, 2014.

1. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I am thinking about getting a mamiya to use on my GF3 and Fuji X-E1, but I don't see to much info on medium format lenses on a mirrorless. I am looking for opinions and experiences from people who have. Thank you.
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The focal length is exactly the same as if were you using a FF, half-frame, APS-C etc lens, only the lens would be larger. You could work out a tilt/shift gadget, as the lens has a much larger area of coverage on the sensor.
  3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    They don't work so well. Too much light being brought in to the body flattens the contrast.
  4. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Just Jim is right. The wide image circle of MF lenses means that light will be hitting the sides of the camera next to the sensor and then spill over on the sensor, degrading the image quality. I have seen somewhere a guy who used some step-down rings on such a lens in order to reduce the light from entering the lens at angles that would not be hitting the sensor anyway. This was trial and error but when the right size of the stepdown ring is found, then it stays on the lens and all is OK. It all seems to me like a lot of work for not much gain. A MF normal lens is 75 or 80 mm. It is much cheaper and easier to just use a FF 85 mm and have a lot less ''calibration'' problems.
  5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Obviously you'd need different adapters for the Fuji & µ4/3.
    I've seen a few homemade tilt/shift systems using medium format lenses where a baffle has been added to the adapter to block the excess light. In at least one case this was just black card, cut to fit.
    If your not planning on using movements with the lens, the extra weight will be a severe disadvantage. Even for tilt/shift medium format lenses are often bigger than needed for µ4/3. I've used old 35mm SLR on a tilt adapter as well as a DIY mount for a enlarger lens and had no issues with coverage without extreme tilts (The enlarger lens was on APS-C). I think interchangable medium format lenses will be at least 3x the weight, though some of the older fixed lens 120 film cameras with fixed lenses have quite small lenses.
    I've found medium format lenses to be quite expensive too If you trade your lens in for a film era SLR lens you should be able to get equivalent quality, whilst saving money & weight.
  6. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well I was looking at the Mamiya 300mm f5.6 as it can be had for under $120 on ebay, and the size doesn't look to be that big(but pictures could be deceiving). I am told the lens is pretty good(though there is a pricier model with less CA).
  7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would not go out and get one to try ... if I already had some laying about and only needed a $20-40 adapter I'd probably do it. Save the $ for a system lens.
  8. Bromo

Bromo New to Mu-43

Aug 20, 2014
    You could go out and try it though i wouldnt spend too much money on it. I own one medium format lens, though its an old Russian Volna 3 80mm f2.8. I quite like it though its size is naturally a bit bigger though not unmanageable on a m43 camera with a grip of some sort. Its certainly no Oly 75mm or Rokinon 85mm but still quite nice in its own way. I can provide a few samples if there is any interest :)
  9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The lens itself might not be so big, but the adapter would add considerable size, because the register distance is about 2 inches long for most medium format cameras. If you put a baffle on the back to block out much of the extraneous image circle that wouldn't hit the sensor anyways, the issue that Just Jim mentioned could be mitigated. But I agree that practicality would suggest not spending a bunch of money to try this - again, if you had the lens and could just buy a reasonably cheap adapter, it's a worth playing with, but not if you had to buy the lens.

Another issue is that most MF lenses - especially the longer telephotos - don't have the acuity needed for the size of enlargement demanded by a small sensor.
  10. rendition

rendition Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Blasphemy :smile:. I used pentax 6x7 fine on m43 also using speedbooster (pentax67-to-AI, and then AI-to-m43 speedbooster) . Pictures below are setup and sample shots

Unedit picture of daylight Takumar 6x7 55mm f/3.5 with speedbooster

unedit picture of takumar 300mm 6x7 f/4

taken on pentax 67 55mm f/3.5 + m43 + mitakon speedbooster wide open at f/3.5
  11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    a pentax 6x7... holy cow those things are the tanks of the camera world. They can double as a mace to beat attackers.