1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Media Pro and Capture One with Olympus .ORF files

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jziegler, Dec 15, 2012.

1. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Is there anyone here using Media Pro for cataloging and Capture One for RAW processing? I'm using this setup (and have been for some time with my Nikon setup), but I've been running into some difficulties using it for the Olympus files. It seems that Media Pro is unable to save annotations to the .ORF file format. The means that any annotations that I make in Media Pro do not move into Capture One, which is pretty annoying. For .NEF and .RW2, it can annotate, so ratings, keywords, etc that I add to the RAW file appear in the processed file.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this? I contacted Phase One support, and they don't know if they will support .ORF files in Media Pro (they work great in Capture One), so if anyone else uses their software, please take the time to enter a support ticket so they see there is demand for adding this support.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    Hi

I'm having a few problems with Media Pro updating files as well, but have had a problem uploading files on a support ticket. Did you get anywhere with your support request before I try and work out why I can't upload the files?

Andrew

3. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Andrew,

No, I got nowhere. They replied that .ORF files are not supported, and that they would enter a feature request to support it in the future, but did not know if or when the support would be added. Combined with some other moves that they have made recently (check small camera, big picture about adding EOS-M support for tethering before the E-M5 and GH3) makes me think they have no real interest in supporting m43 cameras in any serious way.

I've also noticed since my original post that .RW2 support is not great overall, although that is more C1 related. I can't apply distortion correction to my G3 files (not good on the P14 lens...)

If you get anywhere with their support, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Jim

4. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    Fife
    I was sent the MP 1.4 beta (now officially issued). It looks like MP 1.4 and C1 7.02 seems to work at getting my metadata talking to each other. My workflow is MP for metadata and sorting, export to a C1 catalogue for adjustments and then to Aperture for sharing on Photostream.

I haven't got a G3, but my old GF1 files with Panasonic lenses do seem to have their lens data read by C1 (see embedded data in the lens correction tool). However, this isn't the case for ORF files. I have submitted a feature request.

Andrew

5. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Good to see them making some progress, but for me it is too little, too late. I'm doing a Lightroom trial right now, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be buying it rather than upgrading to C1 7. The integration of Lightroom is winning me over, even if there can be better image quality in C1. I'll certainly keep C1 on my PC, but I doubt that I'll upgrade from version 6.

Jim