Mechanical Fun

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by OzRay, Apr 9, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Whenever I'm working on my vehicle, I often take photos to record the processes involved. But sometimes one gets so grubby, that you'd rather not grab the camera and get it looking like your hands.

At the moment I'm trying to fine the source of a very horrible noise that suddenly developed at the start of this week and I've been trying to eliminate things step by step. The cause of the noise seemed very obvious at first, a blown turbo hose, but that was not the case.

I'm currently seeing if a leaking exhaust gasket is causing the noise and so have removed the turbo in the hope of finding the source. The turbo looks sound and nothing obvious.

The turbo hoses, intercooler etc are all fine. The exhaust manifold looks sound as well, though the dump pipe and exhaust to turbo gaskets look like there may have been a leak (though very difficult to tell).

Once I get the new exhaust and turbo gaskets, all I can do is put everything back together again and see if the noise problem has been fixed. I sure hope that it's not a manifold gasket leak, in a spot that I couldn't check well enough, as that would be a headache.

This even had the local mechanic slightly baffled.