1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mecablitz 36 AF-5

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by xdayv, Nov 9, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    anybody has this? any thoughts? i'm planning to add external flash. before jumping in to the Olympus FL36....

2. Flash Recommendations

As noted in my posts and posts from others, the Panasonic and Olympus FL36 flashes are flawed with a slow cycle time. If you pay more and get the LF50 the cycle time is much better. I'm not sure if Mecablitz follows the same pattern but I'd look for a flash that holds four AA batteries or uses an (optional) external battery pack if you want 'wedding grade' cycle times.

That said, good NiMH batteries help but the real solution is a fast lens. Cycle times with an Olympus FL-36 were in the 3 to 7 second range with my 14-140 f4-5.6 lens but drop to sub second using the f1.7/20.

Give some consideration to what you will typically be shooting and how distant it will be. More light needed equals more power needed equals longer cycle time. If you need a lot of power and fast cycle time, you'll probably want a more powerful unit, Mecablitz or any other brand.

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Boatman, thanks for your thoughts.... yes indeed the FL36's slow recycle time as i read in previous threads in this forum is what is holding me off to get one. not that i'll be shooting a lot of continuous flash.

the 4 slot battery of the metz might yield shorter recycle times. :biggrin: