Me and My Nexus 7

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This is not a review, and there isn't much point in reading this if you're looking to learn more about the Nexus 7. For that, I recommend Ars Technica or The Verge. This is just a brief note to express some personal satisfaction and see if anyone else can relate.

I've been a gadget geek as long as I can remember. When calculator watches first hit the scene, I was pumped. When the original Palm and Win CE devices came out, I adopted early and often. In the past two decades, I probably bought over 100 such devices, from Clies to Treos, Newton to Ipaq, iPods Touches to iPhones, Android phones of every stripe, Nooks, Kindles, a Xoom, and a "New iPad".

Tinkering was always part of the fun. I themed and skinned, jailbroke and unlocked, rooted and ROMd, overclocked a few, and bricked at least a couple. Along the way, I enjoyed each and every one of them. I always felt like I was using devices which pointed in an exciting direction, and there was always a sense that the next device was out there waiting.

The Nexus 7 is different. When I use it, I get the feeling that this is the device I was waiting for the past 18 years. I'm Goldilocks, and the Nexus 7 is - finally - just right .

I'm not saying that this is it, and I'm sticking with the Nexus 7 for the long run. I'm just saying that right now, everything about this device - size, shape, build, performance, software - is just right.

As always, each of the statements above comes with an implied "for me" appended. I think that should be obvious, but I know it isn't always received that way!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 4
  2. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    One of the guys at work brought theirs in. I must say it's pretty nice. The screen is nice and bright and the size is just about right. I did like the responsiveness which is attributed by the tegra 3 chip. I have the acer iconia 500 and I'm looking at off loading that for the nexus 7. The only problem I have is there is no sd card slot ... So storage capacity is limited unless you go the "cloud".

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think you mean NEX 7, right.....I never heard of a camera called a Nexus

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Now that you mention it, the front-facing camera on the Nexus is awful. Just right for videoconferencing - kind of like a glamour filter :smile:.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Classic.:biggrin:

I picked one up two days ago. I may actually exceed Amin in Nerd/Geek status. I still have my Palm III, Treo 600, iPaq 930 and a Caseopea hidden in amongst my treasures.

I picked up the Nexus for three reasons. Firstly to see how the hardware/software has improved since my last device, the original Galaxy Tab and to have a good look at android so i can make an informed decision as to what my next phone will be. My contract is up in September and I'll be deciding between an iP5, Galaxy Note or SGS3. Lastly I really wanted a 7-8" device to carry around instead of an iPad. If Apple made an 7-8" iPad I'd be all over it. I want to be able to throw it in my camera bag with all my clients paperwork on it for weddings and events. The Nexus will be absolutely perfect for that. I have a decent monthly data allowance on my iPhone so I just tether when I need to, which works natively on the Nexus (it needed the Galaxy tab to be rooted).

On the release of the Nexus 7 the price of the Samsung 7.7 halved overnight. And it had to. The Nexus is some very nice hardware. Fast and nicely made. No rear camera or external storage without Jailbreaking it though. ICS is much better than Honeycomb and the Google Apps work great, although I did replace Chrome with Dolphin as my default browser. I really like the grippy back and the size. Although I do prefer the 4:3 ratio screen of the iPad. The screen is very very good.

The photo apps and "ink" apps are still far superior on iOS though. And whereas I can really use the iPad as a creation device (Documents etc.) The Nexus is just a bit small for this. That's not a criticism. I don't intend for the Nexus to be a creation machine and it's fine for emails etc. But I do wish there had been a version with more memory. I love the 64GB in my iPad as I can have all my stuff on it and still back up a memory card or two.

For the money the Nexus 7 with ICS is an outstanding device. It's so good that the next iPhone is going to have to be fantastic if Apple are going to get my money in September.

Gordon

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yep, the screen is excellent. Plenty of resolution for a 7" display without going so high res that the phone apps look bad. Nice color and viewing angles as well.

The responsiveness is as much software tweaks as the hardware. Other Tegra 3 Android tabs are more sluggish and should get more responsive with the Android 4.1 update. My Nexus phone became more responsive when I put a 4.1 ROM on it.

Yes, that's a real problem if you want the local storage. I'm all in the cloud at this point, but I know a lot of people will find this to be a sticking point. I don't know why they don't have card slots in the Nexus S, G-Nex, and Nexus 7. Maybe their vision is all in the cloud, but I'd prefer that they give us the choice instead of delivering their vision.

The other sticking point for many people is the lack of an model with integrated data access (eg, LTE). I actually prefer it as Wifi only, because as soon as Verizon and company get their hands in the pie, the Android updates start to lag months and months behind. My solution is to have an LTE phone with a massive (3800mAh) battery that can serve as a Wifi hotspot for the tablet as needed. It's been working beautifully - would never be able to tell that the Nexus 7 doesn't have built in LTE.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Gordon, you can pull photography rank on me all day long, but I'm not sure you want to see me on the PDAs. Off the top of my head, I know I put all of these through their paces, and at least half of them are boxed up somewhere in our basement right now:
    • Palm Pilot, Handspring Visor, III/c, V, m500, m505, Tungsten C, Tungsten T, Treo 600
    • Sony Clie: T415, T615, T665, TG50, N760, NR70V
    • iPAQ 3630, 4700, 1900
    • Cassiopeia E-115, EM500
    • HP 620lx

Quick note: The Nexus 7 has Jelly Bean, not ICS.

I guess the A-word was inescapable in this thread :smile:. I'm gonna do my best (no promises!) to stay out of that comparison, because it can get almost political very easily.

• Like Like x 1
  8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    With that list, you may just be right. :biggrin: but not by as much as you think.

And yes, it's jelly bean, of course. My bad. I get my sweets and lollies confused sometimes. Probably the sugar rush.

Gordon

9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Just received mine, but it's going back unfortunately. My unit was affected by the well-documented screen looseness/coming off the case flaw. Shoddy workmanship, especially compared to products from Apple, Samsung, and Blackberry. Will see if the replacement has the same problem.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My $2500 15-inch MacBook Pro (2008 model) did this periodically: MacBook Pro (Early 2008): Dark bands showing intermittently on built-in display

Others in the MacRumors forum at the time who had the same problem had their display replaced under Apple Care only to have the same problem with the new display, so I didn't bother. They then said 10.5.3 would fix it, and it didn't. To this day, that MBP does that whenever it feels like it. I hit Control-Shift-Eject, and it goes away, until the next time. Interestingly, it never happens when running Windows 7 in Boot Camp.

My 2010 iPod Touch came with screen separation at a corner, straight out of the box. My wife's iPhone had yellow blotches on the screen that subsequently went away, apparently due to the glue not yet having dried as Apple struggled to get new product out to meet demand, and my mom's iPhone pretty much isn't a phone at all unless she holds it the way Steve told her to hold it or uses a "bumper".

My Samsung-made Nexus S had some give when you squeezed it. I didn't mind it, but my brother always said it felt cheap. Lots of Android users think that Samsung phones are cheaply made, compared to HTC for example.

My Nook Color clicked audibly when squeezed gently along the left bezel. It was annoying, so I exchanged it, and the replacement clicked in the exact same spot.

My Nexus 7 has no problems so far. Very solid, no creaking or give anywhere. I knocked it off a 6 foot shelf to a hardwood floor with no case, and there isn't the faintest mark on it.

Now I'm not arguing that the Nexus 7 is unaffected by QC issues. The problem you're describing has been well documented. What I don't believe is that Apple or Samsung are free of issues. I haven't owned a Blackberry.

I do believe, after buying lots and lots of Apple products, that their build and workmanship is well above average. It should be, because their prices are well above average.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I had an Atari Portfolio (first pocket/handheld PC). :cool:

G

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's not shoddy workmanship, it seems to be more poor QC. Mine suffers a little bit and I'm getting it swapped, but my brother's 8GB he just got is perfect.

Now, if in 6 months everyone's screen starts falling off... that'll be a different issue.

13. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Amin

Reviving an old thread.

Bought 32gig Nexus today to replace Kindle and I totally agree with your assessment.

The Mu-43 app is a nice touch. This message was sent using that - but I need a stylus my fingers are too big for the Nexus keyboard :biggrin:.

It's been 6 months - how are you doing with yours?

Regards

Jim

14. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
    I still do :smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Five years later I had the HP 200LX (with later, updated iterations of the gadget) and I still miss that machine.

Hooked up to a modem it would download user group messages overnight, for responses before going to work in the a.m. Lotus 123 spreadsheet program built in. I kept my last one until it absolutely, positively couldn't/wouldn't interface with the software apps at my employer.

(Of course I'm a command line junkie and the HP series were DOS based :biggrin:).

And the later HP's had an expansion slot for memory, something the Nexus sadly lacks.

This new Nexus is somewhat more complicated than my Kindle Keyboard; the Princess of the Exchequer is off visiting the grandkids so I'm taking the day off of painting to play with the new gadget...and figure out how to break the expenditure to her...:rofl:.

I suppose I'll just have to accidentally have the dog chew on the Kindle.

16. ReallyBadPictures

ReallyBadPictures Mu-43 Regular

Jan 12, 2013
    If you buy a stylus check Amazon. I picked up 10 for ~$10 shipped.

If you want to use it as a GPS check out NavFree.

If you want to read a lot of magazines for cheap check out Next Issue.

17. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I would think the iPad and iPad Mini would be the m43 shooters tablets of choice - the screen ratio is 4x3.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I checked out the iPad Mini; the screen isn't as good as the Nexus and the Nexus has a lower retail price.

The iPad is beyond my means. It's all about the money :)

The Nexus will, I think be sufficient for my needs, although the iPad is very nice indeed.

Regards,

Jim

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Still love it. It's just the right size and shape for me to use often.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I had the Atari handheld before my Cassiopeia ... haven't decided why I posted this, a toss-up between trying to out-nerd you, Gordon, or showing my true age...

• Like Like x 1