MD-M4/3 Adapter Help Needed

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tkc9789, Mar 26, 2014.

1. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Are there any tricks to put the MD-M4/3 adapter on a Pana GX7? I purchased a use MD-M4/3 adapter from another forum member and is having no luck putting this on. I lined up the red dot, it'll turn less than 4/1 turn clockwise then stopped and does not lock in place. And the camera has a display "this lens is not attached properly....". Obviously, I can't use the legacy Minolta lens that came with it. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

OK ... well first off your problem with the error message is that the camera is not set to "shoot with out lens" .
    You need to first set the camera to that. I do not own a GX-7. I am a GH-2 owner so I can not really say for sure where in the Menu that is set. Plus i did it once long time ago when i 1st got the camera so I cant remember right now ..lol , So, you need to google it or look it up or just search the menus. The setting will allow you to attach lenses without electrical contacts. The "Lens not attached" minder is a safety feature that prevents the shutter from firing for the novices that might not attach the native lens properly.

As for the adapter attaching Legacy glass, I don't know why your having trouble if your aligning the red dots correctly there should be no problem, unless the mount is defective.
    Well .. I am a user of Minolta legacy Glass myself, so I shall make a video tutorial for you and post it a little later..

• Like Like x 2
  3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    That is it! OP - see why i said to ask here? RDM, I sold him the lens with the adapter, but couldn't figure out the issue for him over PM. Thanks!!!!!!!!

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Should turn 1/4 turn and click, locking there. The aperture reading shows as facing up. Looking at the camera (into the sensor), once installed, the red dot on the mount is at 10am, and the adapter should have a second dot at 12 (where you orient the lens itself). The adapter goes from 10-12, the lens goes from 12-2. Make sure you are looking at the right dot (some adapters have two, one for the m43 side, another for the MD side.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    I have an MD-m4/3 adapter that doesn't seem to let the lens fully lock, but there's no movement so it's fine in my book.

6. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks guys for jumping in. I do have "shoot without lens" set to on. The adapter just doesn't make the click and lock in place. I'm attaching couple of pics to show you how things look. Thanks again for your assistance.

7. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Looks like the entire adapter+lens needs to turn just a bit more. Should be fully vertical once it is done (my guess is between the two mic inputs). Sometimes it is a tight fit, and you feel like you are forcing it the first few times. Looking at the last picture, the M in M43 needs to be where the M in MD is.

Easy to see how you could get the two M's mixed up :rolleyes:.

8. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    The adapter stops at the point shown. I was afraid that I may break something if I apply more force. Then I'll be out $800 trying to put a $10 adapter on.:redface:

9. ian779

ian779 New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2013
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Hi, first reply on this forum so sorry if I'm stating something obvious. I have several MD-M4/3 adapters. some turn, click and lock, some don't. The trick with the ones that don't is to keep the lens release button depressed when turning the adapter. I sometimes have the same issue on the lens side of the adapter so again, just keep the release button depressed and they then seem to work and fit nice and tight. All mine are flea bay chinese jobs. Cheers, ian

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have the same adapter, there is a small screw on the adapter mount. Make sure that screw has not come loose, it MIGHT get caught in the camera mount and prevent it from turning. My other guess is your adapter is somehow bent and catching the camera mount as you are turning.

11. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    As I run my finger along the adapter, I noticed that there's a small silver screw sort of sticks out 0.5mm or so.
    Could this be what's keeping the adapter from clicking in place?

UPDATE: that wasn't it. I removed the screw issue remains. At this point, I'll have to believe the adapter is defective.

12. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Tried that too. No joy.

13. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    It worked fine on 3 of my olympus cameras. The adapter was attached to the lens the whole time I had them, except for when I took pictures of it to sell. This lens was used less than 5 times, just around the house. I loved the results, but I learned that I am not a manual focus type of guy.

14. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Screw it in. It should be tight, nut sticking out.

15. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    It's getting late. I'll try tomorrow and report back. But I did take that screw out which made no difference.....