1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MD lenses on OMD

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chonbhoy, Apr 23, 2013.

1. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I was wondering if anyone here has experience with Minolta MD lenses on an OMD or any other m43 body actually. I have a couple from my old SLR and wonder if they are worth keeping to use ?

2. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    minolta lenses are great on m43 and nex! of course it all depends on what lenses you're talking about but in general they are very good.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Primes, yes. Zooms, not so much. This applies to most legacy lenses.

4. sugarbaker

sugarbaker Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    I agree. Minolta primes on my omd are among my favorite adapted lenses. I especially like the 45mm f2 that I purchased for $10... And regularly see online for around $30.

IMG_0014.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Depends on the zoom. The main problem I seem to discover is that a zoom range for film is not so useful for m4/3 with the crop factor. I know Minolta made one constant zoom that was picked up by/co-designed by Leica (depending on what rumor you read). I have several MD primes, and they probably see more use on my body than the m4/3 lenses.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I bought one of the Minolta 45mm primes and an adaptor. The 45mm is cheap, easy to find and very compact so it adapts to m4/3 well. I found it was easy to focus and relatively sharp. I was not real impressed with the odd bokeh it has because of the 5 bladed iris.

Any old SLR lens can be adapted if there is an adaptor that is{or you make your own}. Primes are better candidates for adapting for several reasons. First off old zooms are not as good as modern zooms in area of IQ. Second, older zooms tended to be big and heavy. Lastly zooms, old and new usually have small maximum apertures.

The exception to this are tele and super tele zooms. There is only one 200mm in m4/3 and two 300mm and all are slow{aperture wise}. You can easily and cheaply pick up an older tele zoom that is faster and for little money{unless you want really fast}.

There are a couple of things to watch for with adapted lenses. First is that some adaptors are off and you either can't focus to infinity or more often they focus just beyond. Some adaptors are also loose and that can be very annoying. Older lenses will not have the wonderful glass and coatings we have today so may not perform as well. Chromatic aberration is especially bad in old lenses.

7. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Great stuff, thanks for all the feedback, unfortunately all three MD lenses are zooms but I'd still like to try them, especially the 22-35! I'll hunt down an adapter and check that it is a decent one that can focus to infinity :)

8. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Sugar baker she's looking good with the grip and MD rokkor x, mines silver too but I ain't decided on a grip yet!

9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I have had good luck with the Fotasy and Fotodiox adapters. Both let me focus to infinity (the Fotodiox I have is slightly (maybe .5mm) shorter, which insures I get infinity, but on some will go slightly past). Is it a 22-35 or a 24-35? If the latter, looks like people seem to like the view, and says it is almost as good as a slower prime. Overall, MD lenses seem to have a certain color glow that is different than the m43 lenses (not better/worse, just a bit different). I have found that most of my MD lenses need a bit more contrast PP than the m4/3, but nothing that is hard to fix.

10. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    I have 3 MD/MC lenses, Minolta 55/1.9, Vivitar 35/2.8 and a Vivitar 80-200/4.5.

I'm using a fotodiox adapter from amazon for under $30 and it does seem to focus past infinity. Taking that pic of the moon was kind of difficult because of that but still lots of fun.

I really enjoy these lenses and the very minimal price for an adapter is worth it.

11. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Cruzan it is a 22-35
    Great suggestions for the adapter I can order one for when I get back home
    Almanst your photo of the moon is really good, you could easily crop that photo by a big margin :) The OMD gear is looking mean btw

12. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    Thanks.

The moon was already cropped to about 5/8 of the original size.

13. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I had quite a collection of MD lenses, and one of the main reasons I was attracted to the ยต4/3 system was the possibility to use them. However...

I've only kept two, the 50mm f3.5 MD macro and 100mm f4 ditto, with their extension tubes.

I also didn't like the bokeh of the 45mm, and found the sharpness of the 50s wanting - I prefer the Zeiss Planar T* f1.7 which I've now got. The 85mm f1.7 I adored when I was shooting film but for some reason I prefer my Jupiter-9 for digital. Zooms not really useful (and unwieldy), and I never got good results with my ancient 200mm f3.5. Wide-angles slightly pointless. Fish-eye totally pointless. So they've all gone...

but Minolta did make fantastic lenses, no question.

14. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Not long now! Some time next week ill get to try my MD lenses out & if im lucky ill get a shot of a Sigma 400 with a 2 or 1.4x Tele-Convertor. I'll post shots.