MC14 teleconverter compatibility ? - just wondering ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by 3dpan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. 3dpan

3dpan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2017
    Far North, New Zealand
    Alec
    According to Olympus the MC14 is compatible with only the 40-150 PRO and 300/2.8 PRO lenses.
    I'm wondering if that restriction is based purely on mechanical reasons, i.e. the MC14 lens elements protrude beyond the bayonet mount, and will touch the rear elements of any other lens in the m4/3 lineup.
    And therefore, if so, could you not attach a smart adapter, 4/3 to m4/3, to the MC14, and use any 4/3 lens, complete with AF etc ?
    And similarly, why not a dumb adapter to any legacy lens ?
    The reason for this thought train is that I also suspect the best teleconverter optics would be when the TC lens elements are closest to the camera sensor.
    Along that line, consider the Metabones focal reducers. Their optics are at the camera-end of the focal reducer, and just the gap at the lens-end varies for different brands of lenses.

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    The answer is yes upto mechanical issues. This was discussed on the forum in the past. IIRC, MMF-3 does not work, but MMF-1 can work. Please see my post here: 3 New Leica Branded F2.8-F4 Lenses coming from Panasonic and the few posts which follow.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. 3dpan

3dpan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2017
    Far North, New Zealand
    Alec
    Thank you, that link certainly answers a few questions.
    My other reason for favoring the MC14 is that it has (presumably) been designed to take into account the IR Filter block that sits in front of the sensor.
    I have read on other forums the claim that this filter block is the reason adapted legacy lenses don't always perform as well as expected. i.e. legacy lenses are designed to focus directly on to the film plane, without any intervening glass surfaces.
    I'm surprised though that the 4/3 lens data is not transferred through the active 4/3 to m4/3 adapter (referring again to your link).

4. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    My initial interest in this topic was because I thought that by getting an MC-14, I would be able to use it both on my 50-200SWD and any future m43 tele purchases I make. Once I realized that it could not be done, I did not pursue it any further. I can confirm that the MC-14 worked with my dumb Nikon adapter, though.

I do recall being surprised that 4/3 lens data was not being transmitted through correctly and I think that this may have to do with data being transmitted through the extra pins in native m43 lenses.

As regards sensor stack, my instinctive thought would be that it should not be a meaningful impact for tele lenses because it is easier to ensure that the light path is close to perpendicular (to the sensor plane) even at the edge of the frame. How much legacy long lens designs took this into consideration, I do not know. I imagine that it may not have been accounted for in at least some of them since film was not directionally sensitive.

Here are a couple of LensRentals blogs on sensor thickness which I found informative.
    The Glass in the Path: Sensor Stacks and Adapted Lenses
    Sensor Stack Thickness: When Does It Matter?

Just speculating, I would think that using a TC on a legacy lens may run into resolution issues since you are using an even smaller part of the original image circle. But there is no substitute for actual experimentation.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The 4/3 teleconverters can be found fairly cheap nowadays, if that helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. 3dpan

3dpan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2017
    Far North, New Zealand
    Alec
    Thank you @barry13@barry13 , but when you add shipping and convert to NZ dollars the price doesn't look so good.
    Cheers,