1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MC-14 purchasing question

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kpp80202, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Colorado
    Kevin
    I just bought a 40-150pro from a fellow member, and am thinking about buying the MC-14 teleconverter. Being frugal, I am looking for something on the used market. On the big auction site, there is little used stock, but several new options that ship from Japan from vendors with 100% feedback and lengthy tenures. Anyone have any luck with those or have any thoughts? I just don't want to get burned. Thanks.

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Any time you purchase from eBay you risk getting burned. For that reason I just shell out a bit more and go with one of the reputable used sellers that at least give a guarantee that it works when you get it. For $100-200 I'll risk eBay, but when putting up more cash it's just not worth the risk to me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    As with most people, I prefer to purchase locally. But with Olympus having huge price increases in Canada due to currency swings, the savings for gray market can be huge. I don't view buying a new product from a gray market ebay seller in Japan with thousands of positive feedback ratings as any more risky than buying used from some random person over the internet in North America or off of Craigslist. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've bought several things from Japan and Korea (NIB after carefully looking at seller feedback, tenure, etc.) and always gotten exactly what I've ordered with prompt shipment and no issues. I recently bought a new lens for $300 Canadian that would have cost $500 locally and would have cost $350 to buy used. If I do get cheated on a transaction at some point, I figure I have saved more than enough money by now to cover it. YMMV!

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    My Dad has bought several Oly lenses and his EM1 from a Japanese ebay seller and has had no issues. I buy/sell lenses and bodies on ebay frequently. I wouldn't hesitate. There are some used ones that pop up now and then, but the Japanese ones are the next best option price-wise. Some people are still living in the 90s who are afraid of ebay. They have buyer protection and most sellers are reputable. I could rant against ebay for other things, but I never hesitate to buy there and I am also a reputable seller. Just use common sense obviously.

I buy/sell here when I can, but frankly ebay has more protection/recourse than here.

5. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Colorado
    Kevin
    Thanks all. I ended up buying from a forum member for less than the auction price.

6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    My only experience with a Japanese seller on eBay was for a used MMF-3 adaptor. The product came in like-new condition, well packed, and very quickly, in fact, quicker than from the US sellers I bought the EC-14 and 50-200 SWD from. The Japanese seller also contacted me by email right away to confirm the order and followed through as well. It was a very satisfactory experience. I would not hesitate to buy from a Japanese seller with good ratings again.

7. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Good to know that you picked one up at a good price.

Just for future knowledge, I have purchased two new lenses successfully from a Japanese retailer on eBay (winktokyo), and haven't had an issue. The prices for the lenses were in line with used prices here in the US, but were brand new lenses, and arrived to my door step in less than a week (I live in PA).

The two lenses I purchased were a PL15mm, and a P45.2mm. Both are excellent lenses and arrived as expected (brand spankin' new). I wouldn't hesitate to purchase lenses or accessories from them again in the future, as they were an excellent retailer with excellent pricing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kpp80202

Kpp80202 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2013
    Colorado
    Kevin
    Than you for listing the seller. If I ever have money/need to buy another lens (this 40-150 was a whopper...) I'll look that retailer up.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    No problem. Yes I would not hesitate to buy from that seller again, very good prices, communication, and shipping speed.

Enjoy the 40-150 & MC-14