MC-14 bloody useless Christmas present to myself

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ardy, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Hi All - just received an Olympus MC-14 (1.4x teleconverter) to use with my M4/3rds lenses and it doesn't fit either of them! I was expecting it to fit the 75-300 as my EC-14 did on my E520 + 70-300. It doesn't fit my 12-50 or 60mm macro either. The lump at the front means it won't fit.

This is due to my assumption that it would be a generic T/C, but to me it is just a piece of junk to sell on.

2. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    I think it can only fit the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens and the coming Olympus 300mm f4.0 PRO lens at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    M.Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter MC-14 | Olympus

Since the only two lenses they ever mention or list as compatible I'm a little surprised this comes as a surprise to anyone...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    That's because you read this stuff with some interest most probably. I just made an assumption that no company would be so stupid as to spend all that R&D and engineering on a bloody stupid thing that is only compatible with one lens and one coming.

I cannot imagine any other company doing that..

• Like Like x 1
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I'm just going to leave this here, it's actually the norm rather than a deviation from standard practice...

Fujifilm XF 1.4x TC WR Teleconverter 16481892 B&H Photo Video
    Canon Extender EF 2X III 4410B002 B&H Photo Video
    Sigma TC-1401 1.4x Teleconverter for Nikon F 879306 B&H Photo
    Sigma 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter for Nikon AF Lenses 824306
    Sigma TC-2001 2x Teleconverter for Canon EF 870101 B&H Photo
    Sony SAL-20TC 2x AF Teleconverter - for Select Sony SAL20TC B&H
    Mamiya Schneider Kreuznach 2x Teleconverter 73022 B&H Photo
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en_INC/IMG/...eleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    ardy, I feel your pain. It was barely over a year ago when I was swearing to come out of m43 because of some similar fury inducing misfortune.

7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)

The reason why it is designed for and only fits the 1 current and 1 future lens is that it is designed to match the optical characteristics of those lenses and as a result maintains the highest possible light transmission and image quality.
    If you had a very expensive lens like the 40 - 150 f2.8 and the only teleconverter available was a generic one which degraded the IQ then you would be very disappointed.
    That is why they spent so much on R and D on this product - to quite rightly optimise it for two of their highest quality lenses ! (A la Nikon, canon et al)
    Only a bare minimum of research and a simple click on Google to the Olympus Website would have made you better informed and able to make a better purchasing decision
    By all means come on here and mention that you were a bit hasty and bought an item without much thought and feel a bit stupid but personally I don't think it appropriate to make a mistake like this and then criticise the manufacturer
    Take it on the chin and use it as a learning curve thing ..... I must not order items online without finding out what they do and what they fit.....
    Rob

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

But to assume just makes an 'ass' out of 'u' (you) & 'me' (but not me this time)! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The solution is not to sell it on but instead buy the 40-150 f/2.8 to go with it.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Robstar and Rob the fiddle - I understand that being slightly anal, you cannot understand someone who is not.

I owned the EC-14 which was an excellent teleconverter and worked on most lens I believe. There was some drop off but good enough for me to get some excellent shots of birds I could not have got close to without a hide.

Stuff it all its Christmas. Let's forget it?

• Like Like x 1
  11. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

GAS pressure...

12. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    My MC-14 will also work when I'm using my old adapted Olympus lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Should be returnable if you only opened the box and saw it didn't fit. No real harm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ross the fiddler

That's right. Merry Christmas. Enjoy it. :dance4: :drinks:

I'm not sure how? Remember 'the thing out the front'. BTW, I noticed that Fuji's latest 1.4 X teleconverter is very similar in design too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    The front protrusion will fit into the opening on the Olympus to M4/3 adapter, at least it does on my adapter.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. ardy

ardy Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    Yes I know and 'generalisations are a mere plateau where a tired mind tarries to rest'

17. Ross the fiddler

I know it won't make you feel any better, but I have also given myself a useless Christmas present too (it only arrived Christmas Eve). It was cheap 3-way tripod head (AU$42 worth) that looked like it should have been OK, but it doesn't pay to buy cheap as it generally costs more in the long run. I'll probably just chuck it in the bin later on, especially since my wife wrapped it up to give me because she mistook it for the much better ball tripod head (for my heavier tripod) that I had to wrap for myself.

18. teesquare

teesquare New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2015
    Tim Tucker
    We live and play in a complex and technically specific world. That does require us to read more....and be a bit more responsible for finding what will work four needs. But I sense you felt it should fit everything that you wanted it to...just because you "thought" it should.How amusing and...a bit naive. READ before you buy. Ask questions. Olympus has great toll free tech support folks.....

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Newsflash!
    Unbelievably stupid customer gets just desserts.
    Every description I've seen stresses the point this adapter is for the 40-150Pro alone.
    Don't let the door hit you on your way out ... Merry Yule.

Edit : by the way, if you keep calling people "anal", which is a great insult, some of them might just hunt you down and wreak their revenge.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Prolly shouldn't drink and post bro...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.