1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Maybe time to give Chrome a break

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've been using Chrome as my internet browser of choice for a long time. It's hard to leave, because it has all my bookmarks, passwords, favorite sites, etc.

But lately it just seems a bit slower and less steady than before. The "He's dead, Jim" and "Aw, snap" pages are coming up a bit more often than before. No extensions installed to blame.

Maybe time to try Firefox again, or maybe even IE? Anything else to consider? Opera?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use both IE11 and Firefox. IE11 is set so that few things can get through (cookies, ads, pop ups etc), which means that often some web sites won't open as they usually want to add all sorts of crap on my computer, in order to view the page. I use Firefox for sites that insist on black backgrounds and white writing (which saves me from having to change IE11 settings) and occasionally to view a site that won't load because IE won't accept their crap. The latter aren't necessarily dangerous, but annoying. I then clear the crap with CCleaner.

I've lately found that Firefox is woefully slow in loading just about any website, far slower that IE11, which is odd, because it was always proclaimed as being faster. Maybe it's the settings I have for IE, plus my extras, that speeds up IE by ignoring a lot of crap that some web sites try to load; whereas, Firefox allows it in and so slows down. Many may say that IE is unsafe, but the only time I have ever had an issue was some years back when I somehow allowed a Google redirect malware in, but once I realised what was happening, it was easy to remove.

I now have software that prevents all of that, in both IE and Firefox.

3. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I agree, I've found Chrome has become frustratingly slow to load pages in recent months. I too am thinking of dumping it, but have a lot "invested" in it for want of a better expression. I'll probably go for Firefox.

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I'm running W8.1 and IE. I read somewhere that IE (likely to be the latest) and the operating system are optimised for each other. The combination works fine for me, but response time is mainly dominated by the server.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I read about Vivaldi - doesn't sound very appealing to me.

For about 10 minutes now, I've been playing with Firefox, Chrome, and IE11 open side by side on my desktop. Early impressions are that IE11 is way faster than the other two. I'm having trouble believing how much faster. Don't know what is going on, here, but that's what I'm seeing.

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Firefox!

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I think things are changing at Microsoft and IE doesn't deserve to be maligned like it used to and here's an interesting infographic (note the first line in table showing browsers built for privacy): http://tech.co/secure-browser-infographic-2015-01.

9. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Amin, do you have Adblock Plus installed in Chrome? It made a huge difference for me on many sites.

Usually, a page that loads slowly is waiting for an advertising service to send its junk to the page.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Thanks for the link, Ray. I didn't know about ABP's built-in whitelist. However, the product has cured my worst annoyances at sites I visit frequently, such as eliminating the long commercial I previously had to watch before seeing a video clip on my local newspaper website. I see now that the built-in whitelist is enabled by default, but I have the option to disable it, so ABP gets credit for giving me that option if the whitelisted ads become annoying.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If you're using Windows, I'd recommend installing this: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm, stops a lot of crap cold.

13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am running Chrome in W7, and it has been taking forever to initially load up at first launch. It seems to be better afterwards, but I am still wondering how much of this is the OS, how much is Chrome, and how much is due to other factors.

Very frustrating,

--Ken

14. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    After years have been using Firefox, Chrome took over and has been my favourite now for about two years, I noticed some performance and steadiness degradation issues after a few recent updates. But I just don't want to jump back to Firefox too soon but I'm glad that we still have a few to choose from, which in my opinion IE isn't one of due to too many reasons. Chrome still is the best browser for me.

15. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Just consider that Chrome is actually not just a browser, but an OS. it sure would do better on SSD and large RAM.

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    What puts me off Chrome is that it's a Google product. Google, invading every corner of every PC wherever possible.

And consider this: http://www.newscientist.com/article...es-based-on-facts-not-links.html#.VPs1xy6yRmE.

Buy what criteria are they measuring 'truthfulness', 'trustworthiness' or 'facts'? Who is actually making these judgement calls? It can become a very slippery slope when such a search giant starts on the road to controlling knowledge, and access to knowledge, opinions and views.

We're starting to diverge here, but these things are very important and the more people that are aware of them, the better.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  17. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I made that switch recently myself. My experience with Chrome has been that immediately after a "clean" install, it runs great - and fast. Then it starts to slow down from so much crap being added in the background. After a few months it is noticeable slower and after a year it has become aggravating as h*ll. For the last few years I would just uninstall, clean out the remnants and reinstall the latest version. This time I had just had enough so after the latest uninstall I just installed Firefox and ran it in parallel with IE. I have found IE to be faster but it seems more susceptible to ads and other unwanted stuff so I have been using Firefox almost exclusively of late. Still not as nice to use as a new, clean Chrome but I am tired of constantly having to delete and reinstall. Have to see how it holds up over a longer term.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    As I listed earlier, load the Hosts file and keep it updated and you'll rarely, if ever, see an in-line ad.

19. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Opera looks good nowadays. Worth a look.

20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use both Chrome (actually Chromium for Linux) and Firefox. Chrome seems like more of a hog because of its separate process for everything design. There is also some dodgy behaviour in Chrome like keeping per session data active despite 'closing' the browser.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.