1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Maybe it was just me.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by PhotoPat, Sep 8, 2012.

1. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    I Rushed into a purchase of my GX1. Being all excited I overlooked so many specs. So many that I Just sold my gx1 today. All in all it was a horrible and expensive experiment. I bought the kit for 525. A week later the price drops to just over 400. Video controls, or lack there of, is a joke. It was almost impossible to get a stable shot off of a tripod due to no IS. I'm happy to have gotten rid of it. And I can't wait to get a dslr back in my hand. M43 is just not for me.

And shameless plug. Someone please go to the market place and buy my lenses and adapters to help me out of the $150 loss I incurred in this experiment. They're very cheap. And I will ship immediately upon payment.

• Like Like x 1
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    So you've never shot without some sort of IS then?

3. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    I shot whith canon dslrs before with no IS. Maybe it was just the size of camera body's??

4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    any new discipline takes time to master. sorry your experience was so rotten. sometimes I wonder how any of us ever got off a good shot without ALL of the computer aided technology that's jammed into our "cameras" these days. my first REAL camera was a Pentax K1000. at the time i figured that no one took me seriously because it didn't have a self timer... :rofl:

5. Donsantos

Donsantos Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2012
    It's just you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Oh thank you for clearing that up! Still can't wait to get a dslr back in my hand :)

7. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Er, yeah, uh, hmm...

• Like Like x 2
  8. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Lol never thought people would get so offended over someone having something negative to say about a camera. Even after admitting it was user error lolololol.

9. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Well, to say the "Video controls, or lack there of, is a joke" on a camera geared towards still photography - and not videography is the joke. Your assumption that a DSLR will do better with video might disappoint you. I have an Olympus E-620 DSLR, and it's not too good at video. If you want a video camera, buy a Panasonic AG-AF100. If you want a camera that does great video, buy the Panasonic GH3 or cheaper G5 [after checking out the spec's].

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sorry to hear that mate. Maybe you had a dud camera if you were having trouble getting a shot with camera shake similarities. I own a GX1 I get good results. Just curious to know what lens you were using?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/7101313879/" title="Tayla by iconindustries, on Flickr">"800" height="601" alt="Tayla"></a>

• Like Like x 6
  11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Great picture BTW :thumbup: Love the girl's natural expression, the lighting, composition and processing (guessing you had to lighten up the face). As I said, great!

• Like Like x 1
  12. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    Pat....

You've learned what a lot of us learned that old legacy glass is fun to buy because it's "the hunt" to find it and it's cheap when we did, but lacks the creature comforts of Lumix lenses. Some, not all, Lumix lenses (the ones with OIS) would have helped with that handheld video, but not like real stabilization would have. "Stabilize that camera" was the first thing that was driven into my head, when I began shooting video 5 or more years ago. Firmware stabilization helps, but you won't get "good" video doing it handheld.

The lack of controls, like you said, shoulda scoped out specs better ahead of time. Not surprising you missed them though. The typical controls most people want for video just aren't touted on the spec list. I bought a Nikon D5100 after having my GH1s and didn't catch lots of stuff I "assumed" would be there, that wasn't. I bought my D5100 after doing a bunch of online research and after I owned it, was the first time I got to hold it and see what I bought. That sounds similar to your experience, so I can relate wholeheartedly.

I wish you well with your next camera purchase and am sure I don't have to suggest that next time you go to a store and hold it in your hands first. :)

Good luck !!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I think the thing that stands out in the original post is that the GX1 is being heavily and wrongly criticised for shortfalls in performance it wasn't designed for and for poor choices being made by the OP
    The GX1 is predominantly a high quality stills camera which can also do video as a secondary function
    It would appear to me that the OP bought the wrong M4/3 camera to try out and compare to DSLRs if video was a high priority
    I can personally vouch for the video performance of the GH1/2 range as can thousands of others including semi pro and pro users who tout the very high quality video that can be achieved from these cameras
    I would therefore say that the OP made a very bad choice in where to invest his cash
    The GX1 is a very accomplished performer and one of he very best M4/3 cameras yet produced
    I would support the view that there are very few affordable DSLRs which perform well with video - noisy lenses -poor or no auto focus during video being some of the common problems with lower cost DSLRs with which you would have to compare in the price range referred to
    A D5100 for example would be nowhere near as good with video as a GH2
    Panasonic design and sell some very high quality lenses with inbuilt OIS which are optimised for video - something that very few DSLR products can match - and also produce a high quality dedicated stereo boom microphone for the GH range
    The OP has attracted the reactions received because of the way he blamed the camera for his very poor choice and research and because readers of his post can see that it was unfair in the way it was written (as do I)
    Rob

• Like Like x 1
  14. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I can't understand why you can't get stable shots. When in doubt, dial up the ISO.

15. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    It's always easier to blame the equipment than it is to blame one's own shortcomings...

16. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    maybe i should rephrase... with the kit lens i never had issues. In fact the images were top notch. But.... using legacy glass, which is what i used 95% of the time, i had a lot of issues with camera shake. It was mostly all user error, im sure. This was just a rant, about how i am happy to just go back to a camera that emphasizes on its video capabilities. Hahaha I didnt intend to offend anyones taste in M43 cameras.

17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    yeah, sometimes folks get worked up over stuff...I think if video is something you're focused on (pun intended) then a GH2, G5 or the soon to be announced GH3 would be a far better choice. FWIW I have a GX1 and like it a lot but I never use legacy glass on it. I have never been too impressed with the way legacy lenses work on m43. I use my NEX for that. You gotta go with whatever tool works for you.

• Like Like x 3
  18. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    I would have loved a gh2 but was never feasibly within reach. Adorama is selling refurbished t3i kits for $530 bucks shipped on ebay. just trying to sell a couple more lenses and ill be good to go.

19. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Pat: people do tend to get defensive over their gear and perceived shortcomings. The issue is not that you didn't click with the camera (it happens all the time), but it seems puzzling to say that the images were blurry or that there is something innately wrong with the camera without explaining it. As for the video, the specs and capability of the camera are provided online. Hope you find something more to your taste.

20. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    if you would have insulted the 'legendary' e-pl1, I would have reached through your computer monitor and pulled your hair. If you are bald then a head slap will suffice.

• Like Like x 2