1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

May need therapy

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Feb 20, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Ever since I got the Pen, and more so since I got the Pen 2, I've been scouring eBay and Google every day for all and sundry lenses or accessories to suit. It's not that I really need any more lenses etc, but I just have this fascination for anything and everything that fits, or might fit, m4/3s. The words 'Leica M mount' feature often in any search query that I put to eBay or Google.

I've managed to hold back on pressing the buy or bid button for now, well, to some extent, but I do wonder what the heck is going on. Some of this stuff that I look at is merely for playing around, with no intent for serious use, but that doesn't seem to phase me at all. It's almost like I want to start a collection for the sake of a collection and I've never had any interest in that at all.

Am I alone?

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 3
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey OzRay, this afternoon i have been doing the exactly the same thing. Searching for different lenses and mounts on ebay. Then after about an hour i thought to myself, why am i really doing this? I've already got two great lenses- really why do i need a Voigtlander?
    Maybe it's just an Australian thing eh.

3. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    It must be an Australian thing

That's what happens when you walk about upside down, you can't think straight, at least you v'e got an excuse..............I haven't

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Hell no! I find myself doing exactly the same. There's just something about :43: form factor that makes me want to keep getting stuff. So far I have resisted the tempation to splash out ridiculously, but the urge is there :smile:

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Geeze, tell me this ain't crazy...
    I have a 40mm Nokton....a 40mm Summicron and just bought a 40mm Hexanon with adapter for the Pen 1.

Why did I buy it....Brian posted an image I really liked....so, ..well..
    that's my story and I'm stickin' to it..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The 50mm F1.7 Konica Hexanon is the real hidden gem in the line-up...

7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Already bidding on one.....
    Oh my..what's happening to me?

I think I have. Apenabuyitis

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, the 50mm f1.7 is exceedingly sharp... and it draws very nicely too.

E-400 + Hexanon 50mm f1.7
    1/60s f/1.7 iso100

Cheers

Brian

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

:rofl: It's a combination of seductions - the new Pen and....The Internet!:tongue:

I've gotten a few items that I have yet to use, but do plan to, really I do....

10. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I remember the good old days....... when I was solvent and
    didn't scour the Ebay for the latest obscure lens or adapter.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian,
    You sir, are a trouble maker.
    My wife will be contacting you later today.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Don :daz: Brian

Cheers :biggrin:

Brian

13. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Not like the Aussies and Poms agreeing on anything, but i'm just the same as yourself. Hardly had any interest in photography until i bought a G1 last September. Seem to spend all my time buying old legacy lenses off Ebay, then waiting, for what seems like ages, for the adapters to arrive from far away places.

Managed to win a truly mint Olympus OM 50mm 1.8 on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and went to collect it from the guy who bought it brand new 30 years ago, wonderful lens, here's a shot taken with it. On the look out now for a Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8, so anyone who has a spare one kicking around :biggrin:, please drop me a line.

John

• Like Like x 2
  14. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    going through an "outsourcing" at work has inhibited the purchasing, but not the searching. So how many fine 50mm lenses do I need? In order to bequeath one to each grandchild, I will need several more.

15. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

what a lovely shot of that rose...so soft...I can almost smell the perfume from there to here!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hey, thanks Bill - that is a really lovely shot that John/klythawk took and set the link to! Just found out it is a carnation!

17. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Thanks Bill, it is one of the best shots i've took, the lens gives a lovely bokeh imo. The G1/Olympus OM 50mm look well suited together, only a 30 year age gap. :wink:

John.

18. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Hi BB, i would just like to say that i know very little about flowers, i guessed that it was a Carnation, but Bill may be correct saying that it is a Rose, which ever, it gave a nice pic. :smile:

John.

19. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

On second thought without looking at it again it is/was a beautiful shot of a "flower of some kind" and I really liked it!!

20. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ladies and gentleman, we must talk seriously about that bad habit of yours to always want to buy yet another lens !

It is a state of mental illness closely related to depression. During your search for the very special lens for a very special price, your body makes "endorfine", that's a substance that gives you that special "feel good" feeling.

It's also related to the bad functioning of part of the orbitofrontal cortex, according to Harvard University neurobiologist Camillo Padoa Schioppa.

Scientists are working to develop a pil that will stop the production of endorfine, so that you will not feel further need to buy yet another lens/adapter.

Awaiting the arrival of that pil, I would like to suggest that you people get back in control of yourselfs. STOP BIDDING AND BUYING JUST EVERY LENS YOU SEE ON THE EVILBAY.

So that I and I alone will be able to buy them at a lesser price !

Thank you very much,
    Rafael

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 1