1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

may have just shot myself in the foot

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by beanedsprout, Feb 16, 2014.

1. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Traded my brand new EM1, HLD7, 12-35 2.8 for a Canon 5D mk2, whatever grip they use, and some sort of... weird... 24-105 f4 L something or other. I have no idea.

Canon has no soul. EM1 is an amazing camera but I need razor thin depth of field. Keeping the EM5 and all of my lenses. Well maybe not the 4/3s stuff.

I'm really gonna miss this camera. Maybe I'll just buy another, sell off the EM5 for the better ergonomics of the EM1, plus PDAF. But I NEED a full frame camera. Or medium format, but I don't have a house to take a mortgage out on. Just sent my Mamiya 645 back to japan cause it was broken, gonna pick another one of those up. But in the meantime, I'll fool around with full frame canon digital. Ugh. I never liked Canon, too. More of a Nikon guy. But again, don't have the money for a D800e lol. d600 has oil issues, d700 doesn't have enough pixels, d610 is too expensive, and don't even get me started on the d3-4s/x/whatever

So canon, with their post 87 lens mount and ef-s lenses that don't make any sense, and their goofy menus and not enough buttons, but it's cheap and it's full frame and... doesn't have the dynamic range as nikon, but is half the price.

Am I doing the right thing? It doesn't matter, honestly. Still using my EM5 for a wedding this summer. Maybe an EM1 if I can save up enough money in time. PDAF is king for moving targets. The extra 1 frame per second doesn't hurt, either.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the point of your post.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Interesting observation on the old heart vs head struggle we all have to cope with... e.g. I really want a Mac, but I use Windows software so much that I really need to go with a Windows PC, I'd love a Porsche but I also need to tow a trailer and carry stuff around etc... I think it was quite nicely put in this instance. I hope OP can get their E-M1 in time!

(P.S. Parallels and Bootcamp help to partially solve my first dilemna, thankfully, but not the second)

4. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Sometimes we just need to get that stuff off of our chests. And a safe place to do it. :smile:

Luckily I don't NEED FF so Canikon can go look for money somewhere else (I'm sure that's not going to be a hardship for them).

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    seems an odd swap... OK I get the 5D body... but that lens isn't going to deliver razor thin DOF.

I shot myself in the foot 4 years ago when I bought my Canon.... odd thing is I havent picked it up other than to go 'Boy is that Heavy" for the last 2 years.

each to their own I suppose

K

• Like Like x 2
  6. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I don't understand the choice of lens either, but can appreciate the rant-like ventilation going on... My dad does the same thing with me, which he cannot around my mum. She takes it personally. I don't.

7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Understandable vent OP. But you need razor thin DOF and the 24-105L?! (maybe its just a tide over lens till' you get something else?). Why not grab a one of the nice f1.4 lenses available in Canon mounts instead if razor thin DOF is what you need.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I dunno. There's not much wrong with a 5dii, aside from its size; and the 24-105 isn't a bad lens. If shallow DOF is what you're after, then the 24-105 and 5dii will do a better job than the EM1 and 12-35. If you need more, just pick up a used 85/1.8 - they're not too pricey.

9. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I wanted shallow DOF but not even DSLR offer what I use to love with medium and large format cameras for portraits.

Now with E-M1 I can actually get better photos than with a D800 because the amazing look and controls what Olympus offers.

Hell, E-M1 even made something what I couldn't ever expect, o started to shoot mostly only JPEG instead always RAW as I have done since Nikon D2x.

Once you learn to accept that you are not there for the camera but the camera is there for you, you can accept yourself to use other than specific brands and settings and get over the tech and back to photography itself. D800/6D are not better than E-M1 if knowing how to shoot, this in most cases. Hell, even with a speed booster you can get below f/0.9 aperture what gives you so awesome light gathering but still workable DoF without sacrifice of image quality (you gain in that) and you get awesome portrait lenses from older wider lenses (1.7x cropping).

It is just so much nicer to actually feel power in your hands and amaze day after day that the E-M1 is not in your way like "Canikon" cameras are. You don't notice shutter sound, the shutter button is "non-existing" and you don't anymore even use LCD to check shots as you can trust the camera gets what you see.

As E-M1 has 1/3 less exposure range than D800 at base ISO and dynamics allows pulling shadows and highlights well enough if you made a mistake in first place!

The DoF is the only hard bargain between m4/3 and FF. Cand you accept that DoF is 2x with smaller sensor when shooting in same aperture? Most times yes because more often you have to get differerent distances sharp same time and you need to stop down aperture and boost ISO and then m4/3 just beats your face to floor.

10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Isn't this moot with his kit anyway? The 24-105L is not a Bokeh monster by any stretch. In fact, it's not even a particularly sharp lens at the focal-plane. It's a very convenient zoom range though on a full-frame camera.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Bit odd. If you're comfortable with Medium Format (so manual focus, I assume) and you want razor thin DoF, why not an A7 or A7r? D800e ish sensor in an E-M1 package, two great native primes, and you can mount your Mamiya lenses with an adapter. I loved my 5DiI and 24-105, but the 35L and 135L were the perfect bokeh monsters and the reasons I kept that system for so long. Ultimately the E-M1 was better for me, complemented perfectly by the a7R.

12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    You don't want to hear this..... The 5D2 is a nice camera. But you've got one stop less DOF but much less sharpness and no improvement in tracking AF (not with a 5D2. A 7D or 1D yes). You also don't have IS with most Canon primes. On the plus side you have a vast selection of cheap used lenses to purchase and play with. You can also sell out without too much loss if it doesn't work out (although around here I don't think a 5D2 and 24-105L is worth more than an EM1/12-35).

Have a play for a while and if you don't like it you can always switch back. It's only gear.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  13. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    unless you buy a 1.4 or faster lens you won't gain more look than you can with a CV 0.95 on a M4/3 ? in general
    sure a 70-200 2.8 is the most awesome lens for FF !!! that thing is a must have but again tired of lugging them around
    always owned two of those beasts they were so important

sure some might be a bit better quality and sharper but they won't be cheap M43 stuff is cheap compared IMHO

if you need razor thin DOF ? not sure if its your own art look then cool but its a crutch often used IMHO

I use it to isolate a subject if I can't position them where I want ?

I can get thin DOF with a 75 1.8 bring my subject further from the background control my distance and blow out the background but sometimes I can't so I then move further away shoot at ? whatever f-stop works with FF 85 so I have enough DOF for the couple and the background gets blown out some more

again if its a thing you are doing good but the lens you are getting won't be a good lens for razor thin dof ? you should have kept your gear gotten a CV lens and played around one reason a CV also is how close they can focus :)

best of luck though with the new gear :) I still shoot FF for work but only a bit and trying to get away from it cause of the weight and bulk and just to have fun again as you say they have no soul they are no fun they are like a modern automatic mini van :) very cool I don't own one but can see the appeal but no soul and you get no love of feel for the road you are on

bottom line if someone is looking at your pics and they say OH not enough dof then the subject was not strong enough same goes of noise and other things :)

as said play around you can always go back and again I have both :) it can be a good thing get a 85 1.8 for the canon its a great 85 and you will get great results with it and they are cheap on the used market :)

14. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Yeah I wish the guy had some nice fast primes to trade me but this will work. It's convenient, and the nice fast primes are cheap. (thinking the 50 and 85 1.8s) more lenses to come, and I plan on renting some lenses and trying to save up for a 200 f2 or 1.8. I don't know much...ANYTHING about Canon so I have to learn everything. And the 24-105 is weather sealed.

And yeah just needed to rant. I would much prefer to stick exclusively with m43 but I need to embrace other systems to get the most out of my photography.

Still, m43 is my workhorse. Canon will just be around for when I need to blur out a background.

15. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Also, I adore manual focus. When I have a focusing screen. Focus peaking is the next best thing on the em1, and the 42.5 f0.95 gives great separation with full-length shots, but it's $900 (used) and the equivalent 85 1.8 is $300. Plus I could get another lens and a flash on top for the same price.

I like sony sensors. And I'm beginning to love the specs on paper of the A7R. But it's too new for me to trade for and I would like to keep as much of my existing kit in tact. Also I like autofocus, and the prime list isn't exactly stellar just yet.

16. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Yep...you shot yourself in the foot...

You got hasty and bang. Now you will have to live and possibly learn. Hard lessons in life at times and this is one for you to deal with.

17. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    This is where I never have a problem. I can't really be bothered with what camera I use, I just go out and shoot pictures - which is basically what it's all about.

Compact, DSLR, M43, they're just tools to do a job. Get out there and take photos, use a shoebox with a wee hole in it if you like, just as long as you enjoy it, then come back here and show them to to us all. Life can be as complex or as simple as you make it. Me? I'm simple :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    What's the hard lesson? The OP stated he'll be using both systems....

• Like Like x 2
  19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    In the scheme of things, this is just a little experiment in photography. A broken water line can easily cost you more to fix the damage. Enjoy playing with the new gear, and sell it if you don't like it. The Olympus site now has refurbished EM1s. :whew:

20. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank

You may be disappointed with the 85mm 1.8. It's not a sharp lens wide-open. It takes about two stops down for that lens to get sharp and lose the haze. It's a great lens but it's not what I would consider a sharp lens.

...and yes, while the 24-105 has a mount gasket and is "weather resistant" I've seen a few examples that have suffered from water ingress.