1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

May have found the perfect travel bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Trankster, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    I appreciate all the shared knowledge on this forum and hope I can give back.

I have been searching for the "perfect bag" for carrying just what I need for a day trip, outing or longer travel and I think I found it. I don't know about anyone else, but I have found shoulder bags to be uncomfortable after wearing for any length of time. Backpacks are more comfortable, but not always suitable plus a hassle to get the camera out quickly.

I prefer to travel light, and want a light and compact bag that will hold my OMD EM-5 with a zoom (P12-35mm) attached, 1-2 prime lenses, spare batteries, small or mid size flash, lens hoods, misc accessories and 8" Android tablet (a requirement), and a bit of room for personal items like sunglasses. I am planning a trip to Europe in the fall and want a smaller light bag that I can walk around with that is more compact and less conspicuous than a backpack (ideally I would like to carry my camera bag plus overflow gear inside a backpack as an option). Thus, I have been looking and trying various bags over the past year. I just received the ThinkTank Turnstyle 10 sling bag TurnStyle Sling camera bag, Think Tank Photo and it looks like the perfect bag to meet my criteria. It can be worn over the shoulder or as a waist (fanny) pack. I will be taking this on a short trip this weekend to test it out.

2. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Cool, hope it works out for you. Most of us have a closet full of "perfect" bags and are still searching! Slings were probably the least perfect of all for me. I keep coming back to my ancient 5 Million Dollar Home for travel as the comfort, ultra light weight, serious gear protection, easy access and style are as close to perfect for me as it gets.

3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes, well I bought a new camera bag today. I am a huge fan of the Billingham Hadley Small (and I have two) but I decided I wanted something bigger - mostly for when I travel. Instead of going for a Billingham Hadley Pro, I decided on this one from Onabags.

ONA | The Brixton - Camera and laptop messenger bag

4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Any idea how much the The Brixton weighs? They left weight off the specs. I have a lovely Retrospective 7 but I tend to grab my much lighter but same sized Crumplers or Timbuk2 bags.

5. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

robbie33, would love to hear what you think of the Brixton when you get it in! A picture or two would be great as well. Did you go for the leather or cloth version?

Kevin

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Weight wise the ONA Brixton is pretty good at 2.8 pounds compared to the Retrospective 7 at 4 pounds. I hope it is not at the expense of build quality. I would avoid the leather Brixton because at 5.6 pounds it is really heavy. I will post some pics when it arrives.

7. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013

Thanks for the chuckle. Your definition of traveling light reminds me of my ex-wife!

8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Think Tanks new Turnstile is similar to the Ari Marcopoulos bag for In Case that's been out for years:

Incase x Ari Marcopoulos Camera Bag

Lowepro also's been selling something similar.

9. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    As part of a 2 week vacation, spent 3 days visiting New York city this summer lugging my Domke bag with about 10+ #s of stuff (most of which I never used) through Manhattan, Central Park, Statton Is. ferry, Rockefeller Center etc. in 90° humid weather. Daily I used two lenses, two batteries and occasionally the little Oly flash. Made me a convert to travelling light carrying only what I need. Anyway, to each his own. I assume there are others who don't want to carry their full inventory of gear for a day trip. Just sharing.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

10. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I am really looking forward to hearing your impressions. I don't think there is any "perfect" bag, but I do think this TurnStyle sling may be good for going out for a day of activity (ie bike riding), where carrying a shoulder bag is no good. I have found backpacks good for transporting gear from one place to the next, but not for using the gear while the camera is on the back.

I am thinking this sling bag will be perfect with my new Camera Capture Pro that is coming next month
    Capture Camera Clip v2 by Peter Dering — Kickstarter

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Perfect Bag/Perfect Camera = One in the same...they don't exist..:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

12. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    It's a obsession. I have 4 perfect bags, and just another one at the camera store. Unfortunately, the Lowepro Photo Sport 12 L only comes in purple. It seems to be designed for chicks. :redface: If it came in manly black, I'd be all over it.

13. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

The Retrospective 7 is a real lard arse bag but ain't obese! According to my Postal scale my Pinestone variant is also 2.8 LBs when empty. ThinkTank is vague and lists it at 2 to 3 LBs (maybe to account for different material options?). With that said, my Crumpler weighs almost the same with a camera and lens inside!

14. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I wonder how much the Retro 7 would weigh if they dropped that padded rear pocket. That is pretty unnecessary, since 90% of the time carrying the iPad is not necessary and really an iPad with a case doesn't need padding like a laptop...

Back to the original topic of this post, has anyone actually used a Think Tank TurnStyle? I am interested to see some YouTube reviews of this thing...

15. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

You might be able to extract the thick foam without ruining the bag. Probably cut the weigh by 1 OZ. I tried my iPad in the pocket exactly once and it made the R7 stiff and uncomfortable--doesn't hug or conform to your body. The iPad actually fits fine in the front pocket albeit without padding although I rarely carry my iPad and camera at the same time (too heavy).

16. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    I am using the TurnStyle 10 now as I type this. It has plenty of room and comfortably holds my EM5 with12-35mm zoom, 2 additional lenses, small flash, sunglasses, 2 extra batteries, and 8" tablet with room to spare. The bag quality is typical ThinkTank quality. I will post some more photos and comments next week.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

17. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Michael
    Enjoyed using this bag and it will be a keeper for me. I will use it for day outings when I want to carry a small or moderate amount of gear. The 3 inside pockets are are large enough to hold the camera with Tele/zoom lens mounted plus 3-4 lenses, flash and misc accessories. I carried OM-D with12-35mm zoom attached lens down, 2 lenses (O60mm and P20mm), small flash, blower in two of the pockets and sunglasses, cell phone, charger and keys in the third. Everything fit loosely and did not feel crammed. There is an inside pocket that could fit a small tablet, passport or other flat items. The front zippered pocket was large enough for several batteries, memory cards and small items. The back zippered pocket fit my 8" tablet easily. Loaded up the bag felt compact and comfortable and could be worn like a small backpack over one shoulder or across your chest, which allows quick access to your camera. It can also be converted to a waist pack, tho I did not try this. There are no outside attachments for tripod, water bottle or other accessories.

u6ebyda9.
    2a6ymuvu.
    3aha6e8a.
    mesa6epu.
    ejevyga6.
    Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 4

18. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Thanks for the further details. I am definitely planning to pick one of this up once I get the Capture Pro clip to latch the camera onto the strap while out and about shooting, then slide the bag around and stow the camera when you are not going to be shooting.

Do you think the bag would hold the OM-D with the Pany 35-100 face down with the lens hood on?

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    This looks like a great bag. Thx for sharing pics & details.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

20. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Hmm... I am kinda liking the Turnstyle and may consider a 10 later down the road. I have a small and cheap Nikon sling backpack (holding my GH3 and gear hehe) that is about the same size and works well but is falling apart. I am also eagerly awaiting the Capture Pro clip too!