Maximum flash sync speed of newer models? Electronic shutter on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by New Daddy, Sep 19, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I really need a solution for the 1/160 maximum flash sync speed limitation of my GF1 and GH1. There is simply no getting around it. Even with a 3 stop B+W ND filter that I have, the largest aperture that I can use is about f/4.47 (calculated from the Sunny 16 rule), which is not large enough for my purposes. Using a 6-stop ND filter is a possibility but looks too drastic and will limit my ability to move in and out of shadowy areas during daylight shooting.

So I'm thinking of getting an Oly for the sole purpose of obtaining a higher sync speed during daylight shooting, unless I can find a Panny soliution.

Do newer Pannys have a higher sync speed? I've also read somewhere that Panny will eventually introduce a micro four thirds with an electronic shutter. Is that on the horizon?

2. My first thought was FP mode, which I use above 1/160 for macros (G3 + metz 58 AF-2), but reading this, perhaps it is not suitable for your purposes because of the loss-of-power issues, and increased recycle times even if it does work at the distances you need it for.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    There is also another recent thread on this forum about flash sync.
    I regularly shoot wide open in the sun (I just like the 3d look). What would be your shutter speed wide open? If it's close to the limit (1/4000s) then FP- mode will be of limited use to you because at that shutter speed there'll be barely any power (refer to FL-36 manual).
    I currently use E-PL2 which I sync at 1/400s-1/500s (depending on aspect ratio). I have to use 3-4 stop ND filter to bring the shutter speed down to that range. Only non-TTL flash works this way (you would need to tape off twocontact if using TTL flash so that Oly does't recognize it).
    ND filter will cut light light from the flash too but it will still have a lot more power than FP.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Would you consider getting an E-5?

5. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    Isn't E-5 a four thirds? Wouldn't that format render my micro four thirds lenses useless? I don't know much about the four thirds protocol, so I might be wrong.

6. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I haven't done any experimentation but under the Sunny 16 Rule, at f/2.8, the shutter speed should be around 100 x 2^5 = 3200, without an ND filter.