MaximalPower BLN-1 battery with BCN-1 Charger

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JakeNW, Sep 27, 2015.

1. JakeNW

JakeNW New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2015
    Does anyone have any 1st hand experience charging the MaximalPower BLN-1 battery with the Olympus BCN-1 (from my E-M5 kit) charger? I can't find any solid info one way or another on the amazon/ebay product pages.
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Plug in the charger. Put the battery in the charger. If the light on the charger stays on for more than a minute or two it is compatible with the charger. If the light goes out it needs one of the dumb generic chargers.
  3. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    I bought a pair over a year ago and they work as well as the OEM in both the Olympus charger and in the E-M1.
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The Maximal Power BLN1 will charge in the BCN-1 charger, but shuts off early. You lose about .4 volts total. I'm guessing that's like 10-20% of the useable power. If you want the Maximal Power to deliver more shots per charge, use a third party charger which will take them to their full capacity. My Progos also act the same way. I always use the charger that came with my Progos now.

No experience with Wasabi, DSTE, etc, but I believe some of the amazon reviews also point this out.

The undercharging has to do with how the protection circuit in the BCN-1 handles the third party batteries. Original 3rd party cells did not even work in the BCN-1. It's possible that maybe the third party makers may have reworked their newest BLN-1 batteries to be more compatible than the ones I have owned, but I don't think the market is worth the engineering effort
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I have several Maximal Power batteries that I charge on the BCN-1 and so far they have worked OK.
    Interesting what HarryS says and maybe now that he mentions it, I could be getting less shots out the Maximal Power although it would be hard to measure since there are so many variables in the field (temperature, time used for composing vs just clicking, chimping etc...)
  6. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    I have also been using 3rd party BLN-1 batteries for a long time and they performed very well, even better than the original Olympus one. I charged them in a generic 'dumb' charger, which brought them to an Open-Circuit-Voltage of about 8.3v. In the Olympus charger, they only reached about 7.9v, while Olympus BLN-1 charged to 8.6v OCV, in the Olympus charger.

However, I noticed lately that the batteries swelled, so much so that it became difficult to insert them into E-M5, and impossible to insert in E-M5 II.

Has anyone noticed such a phenomenon, and is it possible they swelled because I forced them to a higher charge?

7. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    That is why I use a multi-meter to measure fully charged and fully discharged voltages when first trying a new battery type and keep a spread sheet of those findings. That is the only accurate way to determine if you are getting a full charge. More importantly you will find that the camera shuts off at different voltages depending on which battery is used. In all my cameras, across four different brands, I have used Wasabi batteries with good success. Just ordered a set from Blue Nook for my newly acquired E-M5.
  8. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Dunno the cause, but you need to dump those swollen batteries. Happened to me once with a 3rd party battery for a Canon.
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    If you're over-charging them, it would increase the chances of swelling.
    However, the only way to know is if the batteries are marked or documented for a specific voltage.

My Progo batteries came with a Progo charger, which does charge the Progos to a higher voltage than the Oly charger will, but I believe that is ok as the charger is matched to the batteries.
    Nonetheless, both batteries are swollen after over a year of use, and had to be replaced.
    I don't mind too much as they're less than $10USD each... If they last a year they're still a bargain compared to OEM.