max. weight of adapted lens? (E-PL1)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mcshort, Apr 20, 2013.

1. mcshort

mcshort Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2012
    czech republic
    I would like to ask, nobody knows maximal weight of adapted lens to E-PL1. nowhere in user guide i foud this information, with my helios i not see any problem but i will had a tele soligar (75-205, 900g) compare to weight of body (340g) is high. i dont know i would not be much mechanical stressfull for body. thx very much.
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    With proper support there is no maximum weight.
    If using even moderately heavy lenses the lens should be supported. 'One hand on the camera the other under the lens' was always the advice for using telephotos. Heavier lenses will usually have a tripod mount included, if using a tripod the lens rather than the camera is mounted n the tripod - it gives better weight balance even if it doesn't affect the mount- using it like this will mean the only weight on the mounting is the weight of the camera.
    I do have a few lenses that I would be reluctant to use on ยต4/3 on a tripod as they don't have tripod collars but still as moderately heavy. I'd have no issues using these hand held however.
    I've never seen any guidance on the maximum weight loading of the cameras mounting - but even if I did the adapter would be the more likely failure point.
  3. mcshort

mcshort Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2012
    czech republic
    thx very much, i have just ordered C/Y ->m43 adapter with tripod holder.

(official oly expressing - set of lens and adapter - weight should not exceed 658g - (EZ-1260SWD +MMF1)) for holdering via E-PL1 body tripod screew.)
  4. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    Though I can't for the life of me remember where I found this, at about one kilogram you are at the maximum tolerance for the physical mount. Or, if the lens is very heavy, simply support the camera by the lens since the body is not nearly 1kg fully loaded.