1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Max trigger voltage for Olympus PEN series?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by diesel604, Jul 5, 2010.

1. diesel604

diesel604 New to Mu-43

May 18, 2010
    Is 6V the max trigger voltage for the hotshoe on the E-P1/E-P2/E-PL1 cameras?

If this is the case, I will need to buy a Wein Safe Sync to use older manual flashes with 6V+ trigger voltage.

I have two flashes that are below 10V ~ Sunpak 433D and 555 potato masher. I had no problems with direct connection to them via the E-300 pc cord or hotshoe.

[D]

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I was told 12 volts is safe by a tech rep. I use a Nikon SB22s and no issues at all...
    shooter

3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    AFAIK most if not all modern cameras are rated up to 12V. I use my Vivitar 285 on my GH1, and it meters at about 8V. Can't imagine the E-PENs would have a lower voltage rating than 12V.

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Officially, I believe so. I have used my old Pentax flash which is about 7.5V and the world did not end. With most of these specifications there is usually a fair margin or safety so use your discretion. You also need to be careful that none of the minor pins connect as they may perform a different fuction. I made a small u-shaped piece out of some plastic card to solve that issue.

BTW, Nikon flashes are normally under 6 Volts. Flash tirgger voltages

5. diesel604

diesel604 New to Mu-43

May 18, 2010
    Thanks for the info folks!

I do have a Nikon SB-27 - I will check the trigger voltage of it today. I guess to be safe for now anything above 6V will be on radio/optical triggers.

[D]