Max trigger voltage for Olympus PEN series?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by diesel604, Jul 5, 2010.

1. diesel604

diesel604 New to Mu-43

May 18, 2010
    Is 6V the max trigger voltage for the hotshoe on the E-P1/E-P2/E-PL1 cameras?

If this is the case, I will need to buy a Wein Safe Sync to use older manual flashes with 6V+ trigger voltage.

I have two flashes that are below 10V ~ Sunpak 433D and 555 potato masher. I had no problems with direct connection to them via the E-300 pc cord or hotshoe.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I was told 12 volts is safe by a tech rep. I use a Nikon SB22s and no issues at all...
  3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    AFAIK most if not all modern cameras are rated up to 12V. I use my Vivitar 285 on my GH1, and it meters at about 8V. Can't imagine the E-PENs would have a lower voltage rating than 12V.
  4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Officially, I believe so. I have used my old Pentax flash which is about 7.5V and the world did not end. With most of these specifications there is usually a fair margin or safety so use your discretion. You also need to be careful that none of the minor pins connect as they may perform a different fuction. I made a small u-shaped piece out of some plastic card to solve that issue.

BTW, Nikon flashes are normally under 6 Volts. Flash tirgger voltages
  5. diesel604

diesel604 New to Mu-43

May 18, 2010
    Thanks for the info folks!

I do have a Nikon SB-27 - I will check the trigger voltage of it today. I guess to be safe for now anything above 6V will be on radio/optical triggers.