1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mavic or DJI Phatomm 3 Pro

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by D7k1, Oct 18, 2016.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The refurbs on the DJI 3 Pro are only $750 while a Mavic with controller is $1K. While a refurb 3 pro looks like a great deal, the Mavic appears to be a much better drone and has the same key feature that made M43 my choice - small size. After the testers realized that you have to focus the Mavic the questions about its video quality were erased. I was thinking of getting an EM1 II but after reviewing what my video needs are, a drone is at the top of my list. Anyone here have a opinion between these two drones?

2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I love the idea of a small, foldable drone. I've heard that the mavic'svideo IQ is inferior to other drones. I have no firsthand knowledge, but that might be something you want to look into.

3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    The latest reviews of the video seem to clarify that it was "pilot error" - this drone needs to be focused.Here is the second test by FlightTest - and I think it shows that video is very good. I often like to shoot flat and do grading and sharpness/contrast in post.

After watching it again (and again), I am becoming more and more convinced this is the Drone version of m43. I think I could get it , controller, my 2 Gx8 and lenses, Tascam D60/Video Mic Pro and other gear in my small LowPro back back for a very portable video system.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The Mavic is still pretty new, so we are not sure what we are going to see as far as early adopter issues. Hopefully none.

There have been some expressing concern that the lighter weight of the Mavic may make it less optimal in higher wind scenarios.

Also, any time you introduce a mechanical joint, you also introduce a point of failure. We do not know the durability of the folding arms or the collapsible propellers.

The Mavic camera is basically the same as what is in the Phantom 4, but the Mavic has a narrower field of view. Early reports of inferior image quality have been attributed to the fact that early reviewers did not realize that the Mavic camera has a focusable lens, and often had the camera improperly focused.

Currently, the Mavic controller is designed to work with an attached smart phone size device. It is not big enough to accommodate a tablet, which for some people is a deal breaker.

Unless you have a specific use case for the need of a smaller, command design drone, the P3 Pro is a mighty fine system. there are already a lot of accessories and more it there for them.

5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Thank you Andrew and Rob.

Andrew - size and the avoidance system are making me think the Mavic is worth the extra $250. But you are right the PRO 3 is still a very good drone system. Choosing a drone is as frustrating as choosing a camera:)

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The mavic is the first drone I'm seriously considering, simply because it's the first I could fit into my backpack with other camera gear inside as well.

I would never consider a drone I could only realistically drag along when going somewhere by car.

7. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Portability is an important consideration, but the DJI Phantoms aren't exactly "large". I agree with @gryphon1911@gryphon1911 that the Mavic is going to be less stable in windy conditions (most consumer drones have a max windspeed of between 12-15kts, so you can't fly in sketchy weather anyway).

The Mavic is cute, but new. The DJI has a well-tested and well-understood flight controller and excellent optics. If it were me, I'd go for the DJI. *@slmoore points out that they're both made my DJI. Same flight controller. I will show myself out.

Also, is it your first drone? You are going to crash it. Buy cheap because you may need to buy a replacement sooner than you think.

source: I am a certified UAV pilot.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  8. slmoore

slmoore Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2014
    Oklahoma
    The Mavic Pro is made by DJI.

9. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    lol. well I've certainly done my research.

10. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    "Same flight controller". Same software not the same controller. Mavic has much better video reception.

Mavic also has "crash avoidance" sensors that the Phantom 3 does not have. Not my first drone, but my first "semi-real" photography drone.

11. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    You were probably thinking of GoPro's new folding drone, the Karma. A hair bigger than the Mavic but in the same vein. Which is also a pretty tempting package, but has the issue you mentioned of being their first attempt at a drone, so a lot less confidence in the flight controller, etc.

12. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    No "flight controller" in this case is the hardware and software combination that controls the flight characteristics of the quad. It's the programmable part that you talk to with your Tx aka Transmitter. It should be the same, but slightly improved from the Phantom I'd guess.

Would love to learn more about these. "crash avoidance" is probably in its infancy. Lot of companies have been working on sense and avoid tech which is an FAA requirement for the next phase of beyond line of sight operation in the US and Canada. They are, so far, rudimentary at best.

I wasn't thinking of the Karma, but it is an alternative, albeit brand new. There was also a kickstarter called the Luna(?) I think last year or so. It never made it off the ground. Har.

Other drones in this class I'd consider, the 3DR Solo (probably going to be unsupported soon, but decent and cheap if you have your own gopro). The Yuneec Breeze or Typhoon.

Overview - Typhoon H - Yuneec

13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The avoidance tech on the Phantom 4 and Mavic are bottom and front facing cameras only. Side and rear cameras are not present. So flying down into something or forward into something can be avoided, but strafing or going backwards will not. The bottom cameras are also used to help with positioning and return to home features. The craft takes images of the liftoff location or the ground directly beneath it. This way it does not need to rely only on the GPS to keep it in one place or for it to know where the exact return to home location is oriented.

Another thing of note is that the retractable arms do not have position sensors on them. It is possible to start the Mavic with the arms collapsed and it will try and spin the props. Not that I hear of a lot of people "accidentally" starting their drones up before they are ready....but something to note.

Another issue could be that the Mavic would not be as good an option for landing in taller grass. The Phantom series have a higher landing gear, the Mavic a very short set that needs to be unfolded. If you find that you need to land in tall grass a lot,the Mavic may not be the drone for you on those points.

For me, after I get my Part 107 certification, a Mavic type craft might be good for some applications that require hiking to remote locations or for longer travels. I'm happy though with the Phantom 3 Standard I am using right now. The 2.7k camera is great for both stills and video. Since we are on a photo forum, remember that you still need to post process the videos/photos just like you would from any camera.

I decided on the P3 Standard because it was inexpensive and this was my first larger size drone. I figure I'd rather take a chance with crashing a $500 craft over a +$1000 craft. YMMZ.

• Like Like x 1