Maui

gingergirl

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,
Just curious. Those of you that have been to Maui, what lenses were most useful? I want to travel light and debating between Pany 8-18 or Oly 12-40 for landscape along with my Pany 35-100.
Thanks

Real Name
Lyle
Depends on your interests. I took 6 lenses. The 14-150 and the 75-300 were my most used by far. I used the fisheye several times. The 20mm and 9-18 were lightly used, but they are small. My 75mm never saw the camera.

I was glad to have the long end of my 75-300 for these, and I still cropped quite a bit:

P3051054_01.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P3101391_01 small.jpg

If you have no interest in wildlife, you probably won't miss the extreme telephoto.

Shoreline views, Haleakala, and upcountry vistas benefit from either XWA or stitching (if you are comfortable with it). I had to stitch together 3 images from my 7.5 mm fisheye for this 240-degree panorama of Lanai, Molakai, and the north Kaanapali shoreline:

P3071093-95.jpg

And opportunities for the middle grounds of focal length are abundant as well. Two versions of the same scene, different zoom:

P3101412_01.jpg

P3101414_01A.jpg

I am comfortable with stitching, so given your options, I would go for the 12-40 over the 8-18. If I could add a small 25mm prime to fill the gap, I would choose the 8-18 instead.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Geez, neither lens is what I would call light.
If those are your only three lenses, I would do 12-40 + 35-100, with the 12-40 as the primary lens. Then stitch for wider.
But, having said that, 17 + 45 is similar to the old PJ 35mm kit of 35 + 105. So you could do it with the 8-18 instead of the 12-40, if you don't want to stitch. You just have to deal with that hole from 18-35.

Personally, I have a heavy Pro lens home kit, and a lighter consumer lens travel kit.
I compromised on IQ for reduced weight when I travel.
I've been too worn out to shoot, and that was not a pleasant situation to be in.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Hi,
Just curious. Those of you that have been to Maui, what lenses were most useful? I want to travel light and debating between Pany 8-18 or Oly 12-40 for landscape along with my Pany 35-100.
Thanks
Are you thinking of coming here soon? Please be aware that there is a mandatory quarantine of 14 days for all incoming visitors and returning residents. Visitors are supposed to isolate in their hotel. Even interisland passengers are being asked to self-isolate. I don't think this would be a good time to visit us. Sorry.

More info here. https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/news/alerts/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/

Last edited:

gingergirl

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you thinking of coming here soon? Please be aware that there is a mandatory quarantine of 14 days for all incoming visitors and returning residents. Visitors are supposed to isolate in their hotel. Even interisland passengers are being asked to self-isolate. I don't think this would be a good time to visit us. Sorry.

More info here. https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/news/alerts/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/

Hi,

No, not soon. We have nothing booked and won't do so until all of this is over. We'd like to go in the fall but if not, then some time in 2021. For now it's just research.

Thanks

gingergirl

Mu-43 Regular
Depends on your interests. I took 6 lenses. The 14-150 and the 75-300 were my most used by far. I used the fisheye several times. The 20mm and 9-18 were lightly used, but they are small. My 75mm never saw the camera.
Thanks for your response and I enjoyed your photos.

gingergirl

Mu-43 Regular
Personally, I have a heavy Pro lens home kit, and a lighter consumer lens travel kit.
I compromised on IQ for reduced weight when I travel.
I've been too worn out to shoot, and that was not a pleasant situation to be in.
Thanks, good points.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Hi,

No, not soon. We have nothing booked and won't do so until all of this is over. We'd like to go in the fall but if not, then some time in 2021. For now it's just research.

Thanks
That's cool. I hope by the summer or fall that the crisis passes and we can welcome visitors again. Right now, everybody's running around scared. Like in many places, our economy is suffering, especially as tourism is such a huge chunk of it. Waikiki looks like a ghost town. Let's just look out for our loved ones and help local small businesses where we can.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I agree with those who recommend traveling light. I think you'll enjoy yourself more that way. If you have weather-sealed gear, I'd recommend using them, as who wants to stop shooting paradise if there's a little mist or rain? Chances are, you'll be doing 90% of your photography with your standard zoom range walkaround lens, so you want that to be a good one. I bought a 12-100 to be my walkaround lens, but the new 12-45 looks like a better match for my recently acquired EM5 III. Whatever you have. I wouldn't buy anything new unless you have a gap in your lineup.

gingergirl

Mu-43 Regular
I certainly hope it's behind us by then as well. I also live on an Island that relies heavily on tourism for income, but since it's in Canada, it's only for the summer months but we're really going to feel it. I just hope people stay safe.

They'll be no new gear purchases. I'll probably take the E-MII and a few lenses and point and shoot. I don't take the "big" camera with me all the time while on vacation and leave it in hotel but will usually set aside some time to capture a sunset or sunrise or a few key locations. The rest of the time I make due with Sony camera to document our adventures. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom