Matching filters to lenses

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Crabro, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Crabro

Crabro New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2012
    I am looking for your opinions on my lens / filter combinations.

Because of circumstances I have three different 46mm UV filters:
    1. B+W MRC F-Pro
    2. Hoya HMC UV(C)
    3. Kenco 'High Quality' Digital UV Filter

They are to fit the following PL lenses:
    14mm f2.5 Lumix
    25mm f1.4 Leica
    45mm f2.8 Leica

I know which filter/lens combinations I have and the logic I used to determine them. But these may not be optimum.
    Which combinations would you use, and why?

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
  3. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    I use Hoya UV filters on all my lenses, but for protection only.

Check out DigitalRev's UV filter episode for a different take on UV filters.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e9TUIC-Dtk]UV Filter vs No UV Filter - DigitalRev TV Test - YouTube[/ame]

4. Crabro

Crabro New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2012
    I am fully aware of the divide between the "use a UV filter" and "don't use a UV filter" camps, and I am also aware of the filter's relative ranking on Lenstip. I also know which filter I will finally put on all my lenses. But that was not the question. I am currently in possession of these filters and I was looking for comments about which filter to mount on which lens.

I expect people have different opinions of the merits of putting the "best" filter on the "best" or "worst" lens, and I am interested in your views and opinions.

So I am asking you to accept the vagaries of each filter and place yourself in my position. You are sitting comfortably and lovingly caressing your beauties - which ones would YOU pair up?

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I wouldn't use any of them, but would get some hoods for those lenses instead. :)

None of those filters you have should be bad though. B+W filters are always good, Hoya is the minimum standard, and while I have never used the "High Quality" Kenko you have, I do use the Kenko Pro-1 filter line which use the same glass as the Hoya Pro-1. They have never dissapointed me, but I don't know about the non-Pro-1 versions.

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Hoya on the 14mm
    B+W on the 25mm
    Kenko on the 45mm

The wider the lens, the better the filter it will need.

• Like Like x 1
  7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Kenko and Hoya are same company. Showed "HOYA PRO1 Digital filter" is sold in my country under Kenko branding. The packaging and name "Kenko PRO1 Digital filter" is same. I also own HOYA HD Polarizer where build and finish is better than mentioned Kenko/Hoya PRO1 Digitals. I can't comment quality improvemets as I am hardly touching its limits during my normal amateur use. I would consider Hoya and Kenco same quality for comparable product lines.