1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Matariki

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Chrisnmn, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Here in NZ M?ori people celebrate their New Year this time of the year, and of course theres a bunch of activities across the country, this last saturday was the "Kite festival" which is open to everyone who wants to join and bring their kite, and of course theirs massive ones for everyone to see as well

All photos with an OMD + O45 + P20 all PP in LR4

Hope you like em!

image-2993639449.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    And some more......

image-1510867275.

image-1371385487.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, great kites, great colors, great shots! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Some really nice images, thanks for posting!

If you don't mind sharing, could you provide more details on your PP? I ask because they remind me a bit of the Fuji film modes on the X100 so I was wondering if it was processed with a preset / film emulation, or if it's just from your style of LR processing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thanks for your words, and as i dont mind sharing, i come from a "film" background and i love that so i try my best to get that "look" in my pictures. So yeah all photos were edited through LR4, I used as a start some "film" presets that ive done myself for sometime now. but i guess the big secret is to play in between the contrast + saturation + tone splitting sections to achieve those colors. The rest of the stuff i guess its pretty common: dodging and burning to pump up some details, in this case to bring some details in the sky. but other than that all photos are pretty straight from camera. so no special effects if thats what you-re asking. I dont like much photoshop-ing my images unless im doing photoillustrations and such, so i just stick to do as much as possible in camera + Lightroom. Also i never shoot JPG, only RAW, even though i know Olympus JPEG are THE best for my taste, i still like to be able to manipulate images to my taste, even-though sometimes i dont even touch em.

let me know if you want to know something else. Some other film presets that i sometimes use as part of my "bag of secrets" are VSCO Film presets for LR.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks for the added info, appreciate it! I like what I've seen of the VSCO presets and Alien Skin Exposure too, but already have a copy of Nik software's Color Efex so I'll have to play around with that first :smile:

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I take VSCO as a starting point in my PP. its easy to get trapped in easy presets and lose some personality in your work. so i play with them without abusing. As for Alien Skin Exposure, i never heard of those, are they good? might do some google now. Nik is awesome, but i mostly use it for B/W stuff.

8. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I found Alien Skin Exposure from a post here on the forum, haven't tried it yet but it's on my list of software to check out. I was specifically looking to see if there were any presets out there that were analogous to the Fuji X100's Velvia film mode, which is one of my favorite things about the X100. The samples look nice, but that's about as much as I know about it.