1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Master 2

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by brianvickers, Jul 19, 2011.

1. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I am a new convert to MFT and have an E-P1 - MacBook - and Master 2 software.
    I'm finding Master 2 a bit difficult to use -not as smooth as Canon DPP which I'm used to. The Master controls appear jerky and not very good for fine tuning.
    DPP wont open an ORF file.
    Any advice would be welcome please...what software do you use?

2. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Since you're on a Mac, you have iPhoto as an option. It can handle basic PP. Aperture now sells for $79, so it's a bargain! That's what I use. There's also GIMP, which is free. Others can chime in about Lightroom, etc, which is more expensive. I don't know anyone who uses Oly's software - at least not after the RAW profiles are available on more conventional programs...

• Like Like x 1
  3. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Aperture 3

Thanks for this....I have tried the free trial download and it looks great.
    The US price is fantastic at $79 but the UK Apple Store charges £173 !!!
    Is there two versions?
    Can I download from the US store even though I'm in the UK?
    Sorry to burden you but I would appreciate your help.

4. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    If you download it from the UK App Store it's £55. The trial is available on the web site. I tried it 3 times and hated it more each time ;) You need to be running 10.6.6 I think for the App store to be on your Mac in the Apple menu.

5. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    The Oly software is quite capable but astonishingly slow, I bought Lightroom instead and haven't looked back, I use it for my Canon files too though I still rate DPP. Lr noise reduction is leagues ahead of Aperture in my opinion.

6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Olympus released another program, Olympus Viewer 2, after the E-PL1 came out. It's free and faster than Master on my PC. There is also a Mac version.
    You can download it from Olympus with your serial number.

I also agree about Lightroom which is great.

7. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The App Store offers Aperture for a very good price. I only tested it and finally bought Lightroom (the offering of App Store was not available then), which I like very much. I think that both programs are excellent. It is a matter of taste, which one to prefer. You may test both programs before deciding which program to buy.

8. I was briefly using Master 2 not really for editing but for general viewing and downsizing of images before uploadiong them to the web. This included images from both Olympus and non-Olympus cameras, but what I discovered was that Master 2 alters the exif data of any image it touches and rebrands the camera used to take the image as an Olympus e.g Olympus Canon EOS 50D. I don't know why any editing software should be touching the camera information like that and I haven't bothered opening the software since.

9. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks for your comments - they are all useful. Lightroom might be best as I also use a canon dslr; and I have the App Store on my mac so should be able to get Aperture for £55.

More trials today....thanks again!

10. timallenphoto

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    In my opinion m43 biggest weakness is image noise, and again in my opinion Lightroom has more control over this than Aperture.

11. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    That was one of my main reasons for choosing Lightroom. Another one was that the initial release version of Aperture had more bugs than the beta version of Lightroom 3, but I suppose that these bugs have been removed now. I also prefer to use programs which exists for more than one operating systems. At the moment I am happy with my iMac, but I cannot guarantee not to buy a computer running Windows again.

12. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Darktable could have been a good alternative if the repositeries were up to date unfortunately they stopped developping on OS X.

I am running linux at this moment and happy with it , darktable is available on the latest version for linux.

13. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Just downloaded Olympus viewer 2 and its much better than the previous Master - might be all I need so thanks for that.
    Thanks for this
    Brian

14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Aperture is a good program, but man, Lightroom just knocks my socks off... I am so impressed with Lightroom, I would never want to be without it. I rely on it every day for my living and it's helped me make plenty of that. Highly recommend LightRoom!