massive new EM1 Firmware update in November (and EM5 II too)...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sootchucker, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Woo hoo - massive new Firmware upgrades coming in late November for the EM1 (V4) and EM5 MK II (V2).

For the EM1, it adds :
    • Focus Bracketing,
    • Focus Stacking Mode
    • 4 Colour Focus Peaking,
    • Improved anti shock mode,
    • Full electronic Shutter (up to 1/16,000 sec) from ISO LOW to 3200,
    • Simulated OVF,
    • 4K Time Lapse setting,
    • Menu Position memory (at last)
    • Movie image stabilization with 5-axis IS and digital IS (M-IS1 and M-IS2 supported)
    • Support for 24p (23.98p)/25p Frame Rate
    • Movie Info Display
    • Movie Rec Start with Release Cable (RM-UC1)
    • Support for Time Code Setting
    • Generate Slate Tone
    • Synchronized linear PCM Audio Rec with Movie Rec
    • MF Clutch and Snapshot Focus Disable
    • Support for Live Composite on OI. Share
    A number of the above are also added in the EM5 MK II V2 firmware except those features already included in the current release for that camera.

All in all, a massive Firmware upgrade proving yet again that Olympus listens to it's customer base.

For me the only thing I would have liked them to add (being greedy), is the facility to backup user settings to SD card and Movie improvements like the EM5 MK II, however I guess the latter would involve a hardware change ?

Oh, and by the way, this isn't pie in the sky, as it's actually taken from Olympus's own website:

Can't wait !
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Really glad to see Olympus still cares about E-M1. Lots of useful features but too bad I don't have an E-M1 or E-M5II...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's just fantastic news!!! Full elec shutter and focus stacking for the E-M1. Bravo Olympus - I love you !!!

(I'll calm down soon :))
    • Like Like x 1
  4. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    good things come to people who wait :)

So i will wait for E-M1 mk2 no matter if it is 12/2016 only things that matter is that they make it excellent ;)
  5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    You missed Custom SCP off the list.

You can customize the display of items on the Super Control Panel so that only the required functions are displayed, and you can change the layout for easier access of the most frequently used functions.

So Olympus do read this forum!

Although it seems you can only do it on a PC. :-(
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    really pleasantly surprised with this. One of the main complaints about Olympus was that they didn't bother to provide firmware updates for "older" models. E-M5 had many people complaining about things that were included in cheaper models released later on that could've been resolved by a simple firmware update.

Guess they do listen... nice one, Oly.

Great stuff. Do it may seem as a nuisance to do it via the PC, once you do it, you'll not always change it...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
    That's quite an update. I must say I'm now tempted to sell my EM5 mk1 for the EM1. Some very enticing upgrades via this software update.
  8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    It's worse than a nuisance. A total pain.

Olympus told me to take the camera back to the shop to do the firmware upgrades because they only bothered to do a windows or mac version of the upgrader. So I presume this Capture 1.1 is the same. And there is no way I trust the shop to do anything competently. Olympus have already shown they don't yet understand touch screen controls. Which is where the customisation should be done. Or at worst as an enhancement to the OI Share app.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  9. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Looks like the EM1 mk2 will be released 3-6 months into 2016 at least.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    very cool! really wanted that focus bracketing stuff

no more new-body-shopping for xmas 2015 :)

however i wish someone would give me control on focus-by-wire throw ratio..... finding manual focus at night is hard... esp for things like the moon
  11. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I wonder what improved anti-shock is mode? Any idea on what the simulated OVF is?

Some great updates with this firmwire upgrade. I'm glad I upgraded from the Em5 to the Em1 a few months ago! I hope this upgrade doesn't delete my previous settings... I've nearly finally got them them all down pat.
  12. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    I like your shots mate. Idk what's improved anti-shock is. But here is S-OVF explained. And perhaps it's a good idea to backup your settings in the menu .xls before upgrading, just to be on the safe side.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Off topic, but photokina 16 is a guess.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    the focus stacking and bracketing will be a beautiful thing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    In camera focus stacking is going to be a welcomed addition
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    What, no love for the original E-M10? At the very least, focus bracketing, electronic shutter, and custom SCP would be nice.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    So my EM1 has a electronic 1st curtain shutter, but it was never utilized until this update? It will now have a 1/16,000 ss and silent mode. Don't quite understand this one, wonder why it wasn't utilized from the start?

The photo bracketing function with the 60mm, 12-40mm and 40-150mm pro lenses to take 8 shots and combine in camera is very welcome. Will use this for macro hand-held.

But why didn't they add the 8 shot High Res function of the EM5 MKII to the EM1 too? I carry two bodies for almost all shoots. The EM1 and the EM5MK II, which is the backup (because of the video functions). Most important to me is the IBIS with Video. Now that the EM1 will have this, the only advantage of the EM5 MKII over the EM1 is the Hi Res shot. If the EM1 had Hi Res, I would sell the EM5 MKII and get another EM1 instead. The start up times and wake from sleep for the EM5 MKII are really bad, nothing I have tried gets it under 3 seconds, where the EM1 is less than 1 second.

THANK YOU OLYMPUS for giving this and the other firmware updates to keep our cameras current. It is greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've seen new model releases with less upgrades. Bravo Olympus!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    What exactly will the EM-5 MKII get? Any news on that?
  20. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia