Massive Aperture 3 update!

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Gusnyc, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Apple released a massive update for Aperture. New version 3.3. Available in Software Update.

These are the notes:

What's New in Aperture 3.3

New unified photo library for both iPhoto (v 9.3 or later) and Aperture; no import/export required; Faces, Places, slideshows, albums and web sharing work across both applications

Support for AVCHD video has been added

Aperture now lets you use camera-generated previews for faster browsing of RAW files immediately after import

Highlights & Shadows tool has been updated to deliver higher-quality results and work with extended range data

A new Auto Enhance button has been added to the Adjustments panel

White Balance tool now includes Skin Tone and Natural Gray modes to simplify color balance

Auto button has been added to the White Balance tool for one-click color balancing

Set Desktop command has been added to Share menu so you can set a desktop background from within Aperture

A new Manual option allows you to drag and drop projects to customize sort order in the Projects view

New preference allows you to set the background brightness of the full screen browser

Facebook, Flickr, and MobileMe albums are now displayed as thumbnails in the main window when accounts are selected in the source list

Minor terminology changes, including "Original" instead of "Master" and "Info" instead of "Metadata"

Source list includes a new "Recent" section, showing Last Import and recently-viewed projects

Raw Fine Tuning is no longer displayed in the Adjustments panel by default

Faces can now be named by dragging them from the Unnamed Faces browser to existing snapshots on the cork board

The Faces corkboard now includes a menu that allows you to set the order of face snapshots

Newly designed monochrome source list and toolbar icons

Addresses numerous issues related to overall performance and stability

The update is recommended for all users of Aperture 3.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Must have Lion 10.7.4

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
  4. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

Ah, that was inevitable, but also very disappointing as I'd like to keep things trim on Snow Leopard. For me, Lion adds exactly 0 useful features and delivers a performance hit.

Also, I don't feel like paying more to update Aperture 3 since they still haven't been able to deliver a single release that doesn't BSOD or corrupt my library (rather often, and under the most basic possible use scenarios no less). I feel lied to after the last update, which purported to fix these problems.

Is it just me, or is Aperture the buggiest Apple software of the OSX era? I've had good luck with everything since 10.3, so being an Aperture user has been quite a shock.

5. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Aperture 3.x was the most buggy program ever installed on my Mac:mad: Could not believe Apple would release a "Beta" program as a final release. It took them months to fix display issues with my graphics card. You would think Apple could design their own software to run on their own hardware.

I almost switched to Lightroom- very close indeed.

6. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I hope Apple makes something amazing with Aperture 4. I love using FCPX and it would be fantastic to see it and Aperture tightly integrated. Add to that the photostream and one shoot on the go from Pen to their Aperture library anywhere there is a data connection. That would be amazing.

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    No, I think Final Cut Pro X is worse by a considerable margin. It still has serious display problems on my 2011 MacBook Pro and is dog-slow (even with 16GB RAM and one of the fastest SSDs currently available — Kingston HyperX).

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Despite what Apple says FCPX is best using an i5 or i7 processor. We have it in the labs at the university where I work and it works like a charm on our new i7 iMacs and on our Mac Pro editing stations. Waaaaay to slow on the Core 2 Duo machines.

9. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Core i7 in my MBP. Still dog-slow.

10. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Sounds like a pain to deal with that but I think you may want to contact support. FCPX runs fast on my MBP 13" with Core 2Duo and my Quad Core Mac Pro.

I do own and have completed projects with Premiere CS 5.5 but for all my videos this year I've enjoyed the simplicity of FCPX.

11. Will wait awhile before upgrading to Lion and the latest aperture update. No real need or desire at this point.
    OS 10.6.8, 2.5GHz i5 with 8 GB , Aperture 3.2.3 no issues. Reliable, fast.

Wondering if there are more factors than the software & processor that results in some having issues with Aperture? Only plug-ins I occasionally use are the NIK complete package.

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thats odd, all of our i5 and i7 machines are pretty speedy running FCPX. Is it the latest version (I think it's 10.4)?

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The Aperture upgrade is pretty tempting. I have never particularly liked Lightroom. I find it's UI to be a real P.I.T.A. but Aperture has always been a lot slower. Gotta think this one over.

14. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I installed both and tried very hard to like Aperture, as I'm a mac guy and found the integration interesting. Alas, Lightroom is just more intuitive (to me), so it won out.

• Like Like x 2
  15. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I've been using Aperture since I got my E-PL1. I thought I needed more than iPhoto but not really.

However, this upgrade is good for me - now I can go back to iPhoto because they use the same library format :rofl:

16. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    I really like the new GUI, less colorful, it looks more professional.

I am using Aperture with a Core Duo (until the new MBP Retina Display arrives) and it is not slow.

• Like Like x 1
  17. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Anyone else find their raw images are now too pink on import since upgrading to 3.3? Used to be faithful but now everything is too pink.

18. lisa

lisa New to Mu-43

Aug 21, 2011
    Geelong, Australia
    A month down the track, does anyone have any feedback on this Aperture update? I am trying to decide whether to go ahead with it.
    Cheers, L