Masanori Sako from Olympus: We plan to launch many new cameras and lenses in 2020!

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am a strong believer in the seven good years and seven bad years cycle. That's why I put aside something during the good years so that I can manage for a year or more without income. But unfortunately far too many people find reasons to spend every dime they earn, because of the certainty of the next paypacket.

That reminds me of the guys who drive expensive cars, live in small cheap apartments.
Spend the money for show.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I am surprised he mentioned the PEN-F without being asked. Why mention the popularity of a discontinued product unless you plan on replacing it. Maybe the PEN-F will get announced before the end of their 100th anniversary.

The Olympus Pen-F sells well to certain types of customers. They really like this product and many ask us "when are you going to launch a new version of Pen-F?" " Unfortunately, I cannot comment on this (smile).
This isn't the first time or first person from Olympus to "smile" while saying "I can't comment" when asked about a Pen mkII.

Have to agree. The opening sentence is:

A lot has happened in the world since March 3.

The really odd thing is why the rumour site decided to republish this now.
Well timing is always a question, but the rumor sites need things to post. Did they just find this? Did they need "something" on the 23rd and pull this out? Who knows?

Also remember that production plans are set well in advance. What they are planning on launching needs to be made. Changing manufacturing lines takes time .. even going from making a mark2 to a mark3 (off whatever) does not happen overnight. Suppliers need to be lined up.

i would think the markets will change as people will have less disposable income.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Also remember that production plans are set well in advance. What they are planning on launching needs to be made. Changing manufacturing lines takes time .. even going from making a mark2 to a mark3 (off whatever) does not happen overnight. Suppliers need to be lined up.

i would think the markets will change as people will have less disposable income.
They might have planned for a production but that is likely to be scaled back in quantity, but another major reason production may not go ahead are the other components needed from other manufacturers may not be available (at least for some time). That is why Sony aren't pushing ahead with production of some lines.

Real Name
Angus
And I'm not talking billionaires either, Retirees come to mind.

Are retirees going to be buying cameras in any meaningful amount this year? Over 60's are among the most vulnerable from COVID-19. A lot of them will be too afraid to leave the house. Sure some will be wanting family photos but are they really going to be looking at M43 interchangeable cameras and lenses?

There's also the problem that a lot of brick and mortar stores will close as a result of this, which is how that age group typically shops (sure some shop online, but not a whole lot do). Here in Australia one of (if not the biggest) chain of camera stores has announced their closing the doors of all their physical store fronts until further notice. There's a few more not far behind I'd imagine.

Real Name
Angus
They might have planned for a production but that is likely to be scaled back in quantity, but another major reason production may not go ahead are the other components needed from other manufacturers may not be available (at least for some time). That is why Sony aren't pushing ahead with production of some lines.

Olympics postponement will probably affect 1DX mk III and D6 production lines too.

That alone will have flow on effects too. Canon and Nikon sell relatively few numbers of flagship bodies, however having a presence at the Olympics do very well for pushing their PowerShot and Coolpix line.

Cynthia

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Cynthia
Are retirees going to be buying cameras in any meaningful amount this year? Over 60's are among the most vulnerable from COVID-19. A lot of them will be too afraid to leave the house. Sure some will be wanting family photos but are they really going to be looking at M43 interchangeable cameras and lenses?

There's also the problem that a lot of brick and mortar stores will close as a result of this, which is how that age group typically shops (sure some shop online, but not a whole lot do). Here in Australia one of (if not the biggest) chain of camera stores has announced their closing the doors of all their physical store fronts until further notice. There's a few more not far behind I'd imagine.
I actually will. I’m looking seriously at the E-M1. III as a back up to my G9, as both cameras have features that the other doesn’t, but features I actually/would use. We only have three brick and mortar camera stores (one of them has two locations, hence the three). Both have web sites and I believe both companies have web “stores”—I know of one for certain. I truly hope they can stay in business, as I always purchase locally first. If they don’t have what I need or can’t be special ordered because of the brand, I then will order through B&H or Adorama. I may be in the minority, but I have to continue to live my life in a productive and relaxing manner. As long as I keep my distance, practice good hygiene, and act in a responsible manner, I don’t see an issue. I may be 68, but I’m a healthy 68 and if I’m forced to do nothing for fear of contracting the virus, then I’ll wither and die anyway.

Last edited:

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'm well over 60, I just bought an OMD E-M5 III and a couple of new lenses. They will buy what they need to buy, and if they have the money, what they want to buy. They are no different than anyone else in that regard, but many of them DO have a stable income and are capable of recognizing a good deal when they see one.

I don't think they will 'save' the global economy, but they will use their disposable income to buy what they want and need.

Here in "Flyover Country" USA, Brick and Mortar camera shops have been gone for 50 - 60 years, at least. We are quite used to buying camera gear via the internet. Another advantage of not living in super dense metropolitan areas along the East or West coasts is the fewer number of people. Even Chicago is about a third as dense in terms of population as New York City.

I have easy access to the Illinois Wetlands, along the Sangamon, and Illinois rivers. I can pursue my interests, and if I want to, I can go days without seeing another soul.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom