Masanori Sako from Olympus: We plan to launch many new cameras and lenses in 2020!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
A business is a business. You don't want all of your customers to spend their quarantine online reading about switching to other brands. One thing everyone can do during this stretch is go online and buy new cameras. SO, you promise new stuff. Besides, it gives our forum more to talk about to pass the time. I'm not bothered by anything that really doesn't cause people to do unsafe things.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Em10 IV and maybe a new tough is my guess.
And after a google search, a site has already predicted the em10 in august.

Real Name
Angus
A business is a business. You don't want all of your customers to spend their quarantine online reading about switching to other brands. One thing everyone can do during this stretch is go online and buy new cameras. SO, you promise new stuff. Besides, it gives our forum more to talk about to pass the time. I'm not bothered by anything that really doesn't cause people to do unsafe things.

I typed up a reply to each of your comments but they all reached the same conclusion:

You do realise what's going on in the world at the moment? And the global economic effects as a result? No one's going to have money for new cameras for quite a while.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
The people who buy expensive cameras often have decent jobs and are working from home. The money is still coming in. Also, he's talking about next year. Turn on the TV. It's not like commerce has ground to a halt. Lot's of companies are still advertising. I see not reason to be particularly bothered by Olympus doing it. Last I looked, we still have an active "acquisitions" thread in this forum still going strong.

Last edited:
Real Name
Angus
The people who buy expensive cameras often have decent jobs and are working from home. The money is still coming in.

We're talking about Micro Four Thirds here, not luxury brands like Leica or Hasselblad.

I own an E-M1X and E-M1 mk III. I have a stable job in a very safe industry. I'm now saving hard and spending as little as possible in case I get made redundant. Had I known we were going to go downhill so fast I would've held off the E-M1 mk III, but 2 weeks ago, all was safe.

Also, he's talking about next year.

No he's talking about 2020. And even so the economic downturn of this is going to last longer than 12 months

Turn on the TV. It's not like commerce has ground to a halt. Lot's of companies are still advertising.

Maybe not in the states where you are, but take a look at Europe and Australia. There are several countries around the world in total lockdown. There is so much uncertainty around the world right now.

I see not reason to be particularly bothered by Olympus doping it.

I didn't say I was bothered by it, I said it was odd considering current global events.

Last I looked, we still have an active "acquisitions" thread in this forum still going strong.

A very miniscule representative of the global photography market. And again, this is still early days (and progressing rapidly). 2 weeks ago, I bought a new camera with minimal care in the world. At the moment I'm thanking each and every day I have a job to work at.

Maybe where you are hasn't been hit hard, but where I am and the parts of the world I deal with (namely Australia, Philippines and parts of Europe), it's grim.

Real Name
Angus
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I have no problem with this but I will keep in mind that there are others that do.

I'll agree with you there. As I said, I don't have a problem with it, but I did think it was an odd move.

I really hope I'm being pessimistic but right now in Australia (where I'm located) things don't look good.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am surprised he mentioned the PEN-F without being asked. Why mention the popularity of a discontinued product unless you plan on replacing it. Maybe the PEN-F will get announced before the end of their 100th anniversary.

The Olympus Pen-F sells well to certain types of customers. They really like this product and many ask us "when are you going to launch a new version of Pen-F?" " Unfortunately, I cannot comment on this (smile).

Real Name
Alan Grant
You do realise what's going on in the world at the moment? And the global economic effects as a result? No one's going to have money for new cameras for quite a while.
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it seems you are interpreting the interview as if it had been given in the last day or two, rather than three weeks ago (March 3). As you said yourself, things looked very different in much of the world as little as a couple of weeks ago. The fact that an English-language site is publishing this as "news" 20 days later is not within Olympus' control.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm sure camera sales will be way down this year, but you can't blame a company for trying to remain relevant in the eyes of potential customers. It'd be cool to see someone offer a big sale on macro lenses, for those who are stuck at home but still want to shoot, or something for astro, or whatever.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm sure camera sales will be way down this year, but you can't blame a company for trying to remain relevant in the eyes of potential customers. It'd be cool to see someone offer a big sale on macro lenses, for those who are stuck at home but still want to shoot, or something for astro, or whatever.

Might have one on the Olympus refurb 20% off sale tomorrow.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it seems you are interpreting the interview as if it had been given in the last day or two, rather than three weeks ago (March 3). As you said yourself, things looked very different in much of the world as little as a couple of weeks ago. The fact that an English-language site is publishing this as "news" 20 days later is not within Olympus' control.

Have to agree. The opening sentence is:
On March 3 the French magazine Photorend interviewed Masanori Sako from Olympus.
A lot has happened in the world since March 3.

The really odd thing is why the rumour site decided to republish this now.

Real Name
Angus

That is quite fair.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have no doubts the majority of us living in Australia will be in for a troubling few months. We're heading into the Flu season, while the Northern Hemisphere is heading into summer.
It's not the next few months that will be the problem. It's the next couple of years where I think we'll see major major issues occur.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I am surprised he mentioned the PEN-F without being asked. Why mention the popularity of a discontinued product unless you plan on replacing it. Maybe the PEN-F will get announced before the end of their 100th anniversary.

The Olympus Pen-F sells well to certain types of customers. They really like this product and many ask us "when are you going to launch a new version of Pen-F?" " Unfortunately, I cannot comment on this (smile).
I missed this. The F was a great camera but had its flaws. A Mk ii would be awesome.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I typed up a reply to each of your comments but they all reached the same conclusion:

Not "No One", just fewer than normal. And I'm not talking billionaires either, Retirees come to mind. Depending on the source of their pensions, they may be yet again the source of their family's survival.

There probably won't be enough people with money to significantly affect the health of the global economy in a positive way. But for some with money, this will be very good times indeed.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am a strong believer in the seven good years and seven bad years cycle. That's why I put aside something during the good years so that I can manage for a year or more without income. But unfortunately far too many people find reasons to spend every dime they earn, because of the certainty of the next paypacket.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom