Markii raw into Lightroom ?

Jorin

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Jorin arriola
How do you get your raw images from the Olympus om- e-m5 markii into Lightroom?
Thank you.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't thinks lightroom has support for OMD em5 mk2 yet.
You could use olympus viewer, convert the RAW to .tiff and then adjust in LR
Or shoot jpg+RAW and use the JPG for now and when support comes out for em5mk2, do ur RAW adjustments then.

Jorin

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Jorin arriola
Thank you everyone for your response. Can't wait!

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim

The Olympus link you list is for the Hi-Res PS plug-in. It does not work with standard raw files, only Hi-Res ones. I tried it earlier today with CS6 and got a no go message.

Far as the other link at Irident, thanks yes it opens .orf files, but do we really need another $100 photo app? I'll wait for Adobe and Apple to update their products in the coming weeks. Until then that is why I always shoot raw and jpegs, using jpegs for a while is OK.

Last edited:

Lunla

New to Mu-43
Hi i just signup to tell you this :)

As a em5mkii user.At this time we have to use exiftool to make em5mkii raw file to work with lightroom.

Here is how.

For windows

for windows is very easy. just grab exiftool here real quick
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

grab a windows version.

unzip it.you'll see a "exiftool(-k).exe"

just rename it to "exiftool (-model='E-M5').exe"
that's it.

how to use it
Now all you have to do is drag .orf file from your em5mkii to "exiftool(-model='E-M5').exe" that you just make and it will do the rest.
and you can open it with lightroom now

For Mac

this is a bit tricky
1. go to http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
grab a mac version
2. install it
3. after you done with install now you can use it as shell script. sound confuse? lol me too at first.

here is tricky part for setting up a shell script

4.search for "automator" then open it
5.wizard screen will appear. clickon "workflow" then "choose"
6.on the left tab clickon "utilities" then click "Run shell script" to add it
7.run shell script will appear on the right.
8.type this in to it "exiftool -model='E-M5' " (i do add spacebar after this for later use)
9.add "View Results"
10. add "Display Notification" this is just add some notification when the process is done just add whatever you want.you don't have to do it.

11. save it
done.

how to use it

you have to make a folder for a raw em5mkii files first.

then right click on any files and mouseover "service" and you will see workflow that you just made.open it.

the popup will appear and it will show something like

exiftool -model='E-M5'

all you have to do is giving it and address of file just by drag a folder that's contain your raw file to the script.
it should look something like this

exiftool -model='E-M5' /user/macair/yourrawfolder

then you clickon "Continue". that's it.

Now enjoy your photo :)

Last edited:

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
Apart from what is said above, there's the elephant in the room.

The Adobe Camera Raw plug-in for Photoshop just got updated to v.8.8 a little while ago and it handles the E-M5 mk II files. Adobe usually keeps ACR and Lightroom in sync because LR uses the ACR processing engine but so far there hasn't been an update for LR5 to bring it up to parity with ACR. There are also persistent rumours of the impending release of LR6. My guess is that the next update to LR will be the LR6 upgrade which you will have to pay for if you are using a perpetual licence version of LR. If you have the cloud subscription to LR you won't have to pay for the upgrade. If that's what happens my guess is that E-M5 mk II compatibility will only be available for LR6 onwards and LR5 will not get an update to include capability for it because Adobe never provides updates to previous versions in order to include new cameras in the RAW file list.

I think the release of LR6 should come in the near future.

There is one other way of getting E-M5 mk II files into Lightroom and that is to use Adobe's DNG converter to convert the RAW file to DNG format and then just import the DNG files. I don't know if DNG converter will handle the hi-res files but DNG converter is the obvious way for getting RAW files from new cameras into older versions of Lightroom and Photoshop.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
I don't know if DNG converter will handle the hi-res files but DNG converter is the obvious way for getting RAW files from new cameras into older versions of Lightroom and Photoshop.

It does, beautifully.

My guess is that the next update to LR will be the LR6 upgrade which you will have to pay for if you are using a perpetual licence version of LR.

You are right about LR6. The March 19 Lightroom Journal says: "Lightroom Customers – If you’re using one of the newly supported cameras listed above, please download the DNG Converter. We’re working to add support to these cameras and they will be added in the next Lightroom release." E-M5 II is in the list.

I was that close to dumping LR rather than pay for another upgrade, but decided yesterday to wait and pay. If it has the rumoured face recognition keywording, I will feel justified.

larryis1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Larry
Can your help clarify things? I am a Windows 7 64 bit user. Let's say I have 100 OM E-M5 II raw files and I want to get them into LR version 5.7 with the Exiftool software for editing. The 100 files are in a folder on my C Drive, what exactly do I do to re-identify the camera model of the 100 files (as a batch) to get them viewable in LR version 5.7?

Hi i just signup to tell you this :)

As a em5mkii user.At this time we have to use exiftool to make em5mkii raw file to work with lightroom.

Here is how.

For windows

for windows is very easy. just grab exiftool here real quick
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

grab a windows version.

unzip it.you'll see a "exiftool(-k).exe"

just rename it to "exiftool(-model='E-M5').exe"
that's it.

how to use it
Now all you have to do is drag .orf file from your em5mkii to "exiftool(-model='E-M5').exe" that you just make and it will do the rest.
and you can open it with lightroom now

For Mac

this is a bit tricky
1. go to http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
grab a mac version
2. install it
3. after you done with install now you can use it as shell script. sound confuse? lol me too at first.

here is tricky part for setting up a shell script

4.search for "automator" then open it
5.wizard screen will appear. clickon "workflow" then "choose"
6.on the left tab clickon "utilities" then click "Run shell script" to add it
7.run shell script will appear on the right.
8.type this in to it "exiftool -model='E-M5' " (i do add spacebar after this for later use)
9.add "View Results"
10. add "Display Notification" this is just add some notification when the process is done just add whatever you want.you don't have to do it.

11. save it
done.

how to use it

you have to make a folder for a raw em5mkii files first.

then right click on any files and mouseover "service" and you will see workflow that you just made.open it.

the popup will appear and it will show something like

exiftool -model='E-M5'

all you have to do is giving it and address of file just by drag a folder that's contain your raw file to the script.
it should look something like this

exiftool -model='E-M5' /user/macair/yourrawfolder

then you clickon "Continue". that's it.

Now enjoy your photo :)

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have no idea if Exiftool has a batch mode, but the DNG converter does and it works fine. I'm also not sure I want some tool modifying my original RAW files in batch mode.

Lunla

New to Mu-43
Apart from what is said above, there's the elephant in the room.

The Adobe Camera Raw plug-in for Photoshop just got updated to v.8.8 a little while ago and it handles the E-M5 mk II files. Adobe usually keeps ACR and Lightroom in sync because LR uses the ACR processing engine but so far there hasn't been an update for LR5 to bring it up to parity with ACR. There are also persistent rumours of the impending release of LR6. My guess is that the next update to LR will be the LR6 upgrade which you will have to pay for if you are using a perpetual licence version of LR. If you have the cloud subscription to LR you won't have to pay for the upgrade. If that's what happens my guess is that E-M5 mk II compatibility will only be available for LR6 onwards and LR5 will not get an update to include capability for it because Adobe never provides updates to previous versions in order to include new cameras in the RAW file list.

I think the release of LR6 should come in the near future.

There is one other way of getting E-M5 mk II files into Lightroom and that is to use Adobe's DNG converter to convert the RAW file to DNG format and then just import the DNG files. I don't know if DNG converter will handle the hi-res files but DNG converter is the obvious way for getting RAW files from new cameras into older versions of Lightroom and Photoshop.

wow thank you i didn't know there is an update.

:thumbsup:

Can your help clarify things? I am a Windows 7 64 bit user. Let's say I have 100 OM E-M5 II raw files and I want to get them into LR version 5.7 with the Exiftool software for editing. The 100 files are in a folder on my C Drive, what exactly do I do to re-identify the camera model of the 100 files (as a batch) to get them viewable in LR version 5.7?

just follow the instruction i wrote for windows

1. download the exiftool file
2. you have to unzip it
3. it's only contain 1 file.
4. just rename it to exiftool (-model='E-M5').exe (if your file do show .exe.if not, cut that .exe part)

now you can drag all that 100 files in to this file and it's will create a backup file for you too. just in case you want to use the old file later.

what it does is ,it's change the model name of file to E-M5 instead of E-M5MK2. just the name of the model.

but i think the dng converter method is better. because you can use it with hires too.
this exiftool cant convert hires raw files.

Last edited:

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
DNG converter does not work for me because I have Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I need to upgrade to 10.7 for it to install (unless there is any older version that works on 10.6.8 and can handle these new MK II RAW files...).
If I'm going to upgrade to OSX 10.7 just to install DNG converter, then I think I prefer to install Adobe Photoshop CS6 and upgrade the Camera RAW plugin to version 8.8, so I will open RAW files directly.
What a mess. I have the camera since last week but still not able to open the RAW files and I'm messing around with HD partitions and operating system upgrades...
I would like to keep using my actual OS and find a solution to convert and open the files.
I'm going to try that EXIF thing, but seams a bit complex.

larryis1

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Larry
Thank you Lunla... Am I supposed to get a DOS looking screen as follows, and then just drop the raw files on the screen? Where will the updated files be saved?
Thanks, Larry

upload_2015-4-13_8-37-32.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

wow thank you i didn't know there is an update.

:thumbsup:

just follow the instruction i wrote for windows

1. download the exiftool file
2. you have to unzip it
3. it's only contain 1 file.
4. just rename it to exiftool (-model='E-M5').exe (if your file do show .exe.if not, cut that .exe part)

now you can drag all that 100 files in to this file and it's will create a backup file for you too. just in case you want to use the old file later.

what it does is ,it's change the model name of file to E-M5 instead of E-M5MK2. just the name of the model.

but i think the dng converter method is better. because you can use it with hires too.
this exiftool cant convert hires raw files.

Lunla

New to Mu-43
Thank you Lunla... Am I supposed to get a DOS looking screen as follows, and then just drop the raw files on the screen? Where will the updated files be saved?
Thanks, Larry

View attachment 87709
The file have to be

exiftool (-model='E-M5').exe

not

exiftool (- model='E-M5').exe

you have to delete a space between - and model
and you have to drop folder on the file not on the screen
asdfasdfwercxcvxcv.jpg

like this picture.

And the files will be at the same folder you use.
The original file will be rename to xxxxxx.ORF_original.

asdfqwasdferzxcv.jpg

if this backup file was create. you can try to open the xxxxxx.ORF in the lightroom to see is it work or not.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
What a mess. I have the camera since last week but still not able to open the RAW files and I'm messing around with HD partitions and operating system upgrades...

Olympus Viewer 3, free, will do the RAW files for you. Not so sure about the hi-res. But at least use it to convert RAW to e.g. TIFF for you to play with in your favourite software?

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
Arg,

I gave up about upgrading Mac OS for now.
I've installed Adobe DNG converter on my Windows 7 machine.
I do the conversion on Windows PC, then I copy the DNG files to my Mac and open inside Photoshop CS6 with Camera RAW 7.
I'm going to install also the Olympus plugin on the PC so when I got Hi-Res RAW files I will be able to open them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom