1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mark/spot in pictures

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sinthemau, Apr 23, 2014.

1. sinthemau

sinthemau New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2014
    Hello to all,

just new here and say hello.
    I open with a question for you.

I have some spot/marks in my EM-5 pictures (with every lens I use) and that appear more or less strong strictly depending by which f/ I use for shooting: they are strongest at small diaphragm (e.g. f/22) and decrease opening up, at 4.5/f they are pretty neglegible.

Looking at the sensor "it seems" clean.

I attach here 4 samples just to show them.

First at f/22
    8BnTX9w.

at f/14
    IlDabxo.

at f/7.1
    2iLRkFs.

at f/4.5
    HBpWrp4.

Someone have an explanation?
    Maybe the sensor to clean though it seems OK?

Thanks a lot for help me, because this issue it's driving me mad, it ruins a lot of photo.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    First use a rocket blower (a clean baby nose suction will work) to blow at the sensor. If that doesn't work, then I would send it to Oly for service as manually cleaning the sensor is not recommended by Olympus (may interfere with 5-axis stabilization function).

If the sensor looks clean to you, then this may be underneath the sensor cover glass, but it's definitely some sort of debris on the sensor.

3. sinthemau

sinthemau New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2014
    Thanks a lot Amin, I also supposed this and will try with an air blower before going for a Pro cleaning service that cost some money. I also have heard about not raccomended to perform a DIY sensor cleaning for the 5 axis...

If someone knows more about Olympus DIY sensor cleaning (with for example a Sensorklear from Lenspen) please let me know.

Thanks

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    All your symptons suggest sensor muck, even if it looks clean.
    If the simple air blower doesn't work,The Artic butterfly sensor cleaner is supposed to be non contact so won't cause any problems with the IBIS if used properly (It works by static electricity).
    Mine has done a good job of shifting dust, definitely better than a blower.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Is it under warranty still? If you see nothing, I'm guessing it's under the glass where cleaning won't help.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Today, I had a need to wet clean my EM5. If I hadn't seen this thread, maybe I wouldn't have looked, but there was a tiny dust spot that wouldn't blow off. Only visible at f11, so I could have just left it alone. It might have fallen off in a week. I'm used to cleaning DSLR sensors, and have wet cleaned my EM5 sensor once before so I was not afraid to try it again.

Nothing different about the second clean, except I left the camera powered up. I had noticed that the sensor assembly moves with a light push in the past,. Being curious, I tried pushing the sensor frame with the power on, and it didn't move. I decided to be crazy and leave it powered up while I swabbed the sensor. It's clean now. By the way, I try not to use any force on the swab at all. It's more like I'm wiping it with a wet sponge. .

I'm an engineer by training, and a do-it-break-fix-it-myself hobbyist, so I like poking at things, I do this at my own risk. Others do it at your own risk.

While there has been a lot of third party internet advice about leaving OMD sensors alone, I've yet to see an Olympus website or document specifically say anything.about sensor cleaning and wouldn't expect them to anyway, not when they can get paid for it.

7. roddur

roddur Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2013
    try taking a shot a long exposure. see what happens. i just posted a thread (didn't see yours) and found black dot/circle at longer exposure. Also in my case i can also see light circle looking through lcd and evf.

if any of you kind enough to give me an answer here/in my thread?

8. iansmith

iansmith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    I have to imagine there are three reasons Olympus would not recommend DIY sensor cleaning.

1. They make money doing it themselves.

2. It is delicate and if you break it they don't want to get sued because they said it was ok.

3. It is so delicate you can't help but break it if you touch it.

I suspect 1 and 2 are valid.. and 3 not so much. But so hard to tell. I cleaned my E-P5 with a Sensor Clean pen when some oily dist particles somehow got in there. Very light touches, moved the sensor around a bit but seems to have survived. But I can certainly see how it could be possible to press hard enough to mis-align the sensor. That floating assembly can't be as sturdy as mounting it to something solid.

9. sinthemau

sinthemau New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2014
    Thanks to all for the accurate replies. I'm going to look at the sensor with a powerful loupe to see better where the debris are and then I think I will try a light clean maybe with a Lenspen...Hope to be delicate and not break nothing, but usually I fix myself a lot of devices..so I will try same here. Anyway it's only a sensor...not a human heart!!!
    I will update here when done.
    Have a nice day

• Like Like x 1