March 2010 : Lightzone Raw Contest #2

Discussion in 'Contests and Challenges' started by Brian Mosley, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Before we start - a quick reminder, please choose your favourite interpretation of our first Lightzone contest from the Gallery here. Careful - you only have one choice!

March 2010: LightZone RAW contest #2

Prize provided by LightCrafts (producer of LightZone)

This, the next in our series of LightZone contests will be an opportunity for our members to share all imaging steps (including selective corrections) with other readers.

A special thank you to Kai Griffin, for supplying the raw image for our contest this month. I asked Kai for the image, because it's a particularly interesting challenge for B&W conversion.

You will simply upload a LightZone lzn.jpeg file to our Mar 2010 Contest Gallery.

There's a brief introduction to Lightzone for photographers here.

And a set of tutorials on the simple tools here.

The lzn.jpeg file will contain all steps and operations you performed on this image. If you don't own LightZone please install a demo version. Contact LightCrafts if your demo already expired. Olympus Photo Safari Group members have access to the best available discount (100% of the discount is passed on to Safari Group members) for Lightzone.

The main goal is to share imaging techniques and visual interpretations among all of our readers.

We provide the original raw file for you to work with :
    [​IMG]

You produce your interpretation (e.g. color, B&W, colorized, cropped, rotated) of this image using only LightZone 3.8 or newer.
    Example interpretation :
    [​IMG]

Finally, you upload your saved LZN jpeg file to the Mar 2010 Contest Gallery.

Your contest assignment

Your task is to create your interpretation of the supplied raw file - try to find a creative interpretation which emphasises the character of the image as you see it.

* Download the original raw file attached to this post. (read the copyright notice below)
    * Only LightZone 3.8 or newer may be used
    * Open the raw file in Lightzone... apply the tools and finish with "Browse" to exit and save a lzn_jpeg with the name P2212390_lzn.jpg
    * Rename the lzn.jpeg file to : your_identifier_P2212390_lzn.jpg
    * Upload the lzn jpeg file to our Mar 2010 Contest Gallery.
    * You may also add a short descriptive outline of your workflow to your Gallery entry.
    * You grant the free public use of your instructions used in the Lightzone jpeg file

Rules and procedures

* Contest is open to all people having no affiliation with LightCrafts Inc.
    * You can download other entries to learn from the processing stacks used - but try to make your own distinct interpretation.
    * On the first 5 days of April 2010, all members can vote on the results to select their favorite interpretation
    * LightCrafts may select one or more of these LZN files and feature the result on their own website.
    * Contest voting must be completed by the 5th of April. Winner announced 6th April.
    * The image with most votes will be awarded 1 full, non-transferable license for Lightzone.
    * If the winner already owns Lightzone, the license will pass to the next member in rank of votes. In the event of a tie, voting will be extended until a winner emerges.

A Note on Copyright: This image may only be used in the context of this contest and the only site that has the right to publish images is mu-43.com (or other sites that are granted permission, in this case also LightCrafts). If you want to use this image for any other purposes (e.g. marketing) you may request a license from the image owner.

We will use this thread to discuss the contest and to help each other master Lightzone for photographic post processing.

Raw image attached.

2. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Could I miss that??? :biggrin:
    Still have 4 free days to evaluate Lightzone...

3. gusmur

gusmur Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi Brian,
    How does one download one of the entries in the contest to see what the tool stack was?
    Thanks,
    Angus

4. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Angus, just right click on the image in the gallery and Save As-> to the same folder on your machine as the .ORF attachment to my first post.

Open the _lzn.jpg image file Lightzone to see the tool stack applied to the .ORF

Make sense?

Cheers

Brian

5. gusmur

Jun 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks, Brian.
    Worked like a charm.
    What a wonderful learning resource, eh?
    I was intrigued to see how you got that nice contrasty B&W effect.
    Best regards,
    Angus

6. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, it took a little while to plan, but I'm very happy with this setup - a great way to share and learn!

Achieving a high contrast B&W conversion on this scene is a particular challenge... lots to learn from this exercise.

Cheers

Brian

7. gusmur

Jun 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi Brian,
    A suggestion:
    There are several regular contributors to the LZN forum...http://www.lightcrafts.com/forums/, Tex Andrews and SFA...that have a lot of experience with the program. Do you think they might like to join this new m4/3's contest? Cross polination. Perhaps we could all learn from them too.
    Just a thought. Might you like to invite them over?
    All the best,
    Angus

8. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Angus,

I've already posted an invitation and personally emailed Tex... hopefully they will join us in due course.

Cheers

Brian

9. alessandro

Jan 29, 2010
    ... keeping the thread alive and going on digging, well, playing with the SW...
    And piling up experience to start processing my own images! :biggrin:
    Must say I did succeed in crashing a couple of times the app and haven't found the handles yet... :eek:

10. alessandro

Jan 29, 2010
    Call for entries!

Now, the result of playing with this nice piece of SW has produced some fun AND a fully registered copy of lightzone, worth 78 eur.

I am not affiliated in any way to the promotion of the product, and these are simple personal thoughts:
    as a graphics pro, I find instructive the developing approach of lightzone. You can explore different treatments and compare the results in a snap.
    The tools are more modern than in other packages (see the lack of brightness/contrast sliders): the zone mapper acts as a brightness - contrast - levels - curves tool and is easy and intuitive.
    At the same time, you don't have the feeling to do anything inappropriate; in my opinion, a clever transposition of photographic treatments into the digital era.
    Yes it does feel limited if you are used to pro software like Photoshop/Lightroom or C1 and the like, but in the cheap raw developing arena this one looks very, very promising and powerful.

Hope we will share opinions. The main thing here is that you can participate for free at the risk of winning a licensed copy of lightzone...
    :biggrin:

11. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Alessandro - I'm enjoying the renditions which have been already been posted in our Gallery... also, I've re-installed Jing with a view to creating a video example.

Cheers

Brian

12. SFA

SFA New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2010
    UK
    Hah! I thought so. Your last winning image suggested as much.

I totally agree. Well, may except for the PS comments since I have never managed to feel comfortable with using layers in any application that uses them (I don't know why). And although LightRoom 3 has some nice features I'm not sure that it yet truly surpasses LightZone - at least for my comfort. I see it as about equal on balance. It should be interesting to compare the full LR3 product with LZ4 later in the year.

Enjoy your winnings - it seems that you will. Indeed your entries for March have already set a high standard.

Grant

• Like Like x 2
  13. gusmur

Jun 22, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Grant,
    So good to see you here. I follow you on the LZN forum.
    Is there a LZN4 coming this year?
    Thanks,
    Angus

14. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    I know that they're working on a next release Angus - I don't particularly care how many more weeks it takes... just that it's being worked on now! :yahoo:

Cheers

Brian

15. SFA

SFA New to Mu-43

Feb 18, 2010
    UK
    Hi Angus,

LightCrafts have indicated that they are working on the next version - one of the developers posted a screenshot on the forum a couple of weeks ago.

Some time late last summer there was an indication that they sort of hoped for something in Q1/Q2 2010 but I suspect it will now be later in the year. As ever with software development there are a lot of rolling unknowns, especially with the underlying technology choices, and things can take much longer than expected or hoped. This is especially true as products naturally increase in complexity and sophistication with each version. Supporting across 3 operating systems is also a challenge. Whilst we may think of Mac OS and Windows as being relatively stable and consistent (I did say and mean RELATIVELY) Linux is another game entirely.

That said there are few things (very few related specifically to image editing) that I don't find in the current version and I still have plenty to discover of course. I actually bought V2.4 not too long before V3 was first released (but long enough to miss the 'very recent purchaser' free upgrade!) but I felt that, even at the price then, the 'existing user' upgrade fee was well worth it. When the colour selection functionality was added for free a couple of point releases later it just got even better.

My guess (and it is very much a guess) is that we may see a similar approach this time. I hope the basic design concept as a photo editor (rather than graphics system) remains intact. LZ is one of only two pieces of software that I actually enjoy using - to the point where I will sometimes go looking for an image to edit to what I can do with it this time! (The other application is nothing at all to do with photo editing.)

Nice work from you as ever Angus. In fact browsing through the galleries here it's easy to find a lot of very strong images. It is really tempting to consider getting into the systems. Perhaps later in the year.

I was at one of the larger UK Photo equipment Exhibitions today and spent some time looking at the Panasonic kit to get a 'feel' for it (literally!). Sadly Olympus did not attend and getting 'hands on' through the retailer's stands is not so easy or useful.

Sorry, I have wondered off topic somewhat, but suffice it to say that the nature of the :43: images, especially the street and B&W genres, seem to be very suited to LightZone processing - which of course is what Brian discovered some time ago ...

All the best,

Grant

16. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Last chance folks, to have a go and be in with a chance of winning a free license to Lightzone again this month!

Voting begins on Thursday 1st April, through to Monday 5th April.

Cheers

Brian

17. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello everyone,

voting is now open... you can still add renditions to the contest gallery - but voting will be closed on Friday 9th April, and a winner announced on Saturday 10th April.

Please take your time, and carefully select your favourite rendition... only one vote per member allowed so be careful selecting your favourite!

Cheers

Brian

18. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    is there a link or thread for lightzone features etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.