Many people have never seen a m 4/3 camera.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Chuck Pike, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    The camera club that I recently joined had a club dinner last week. I think I may be the only one in the club who owns m 4/3. Someone who knew that I owned a Panasonic G3 asked me about it, so I pulled it out. Now most everyone at the table had never seen one, or read much about one, so there seemed to be real interest in my camera. When I pulled out my 14mm so they could hold it, one said it was smaller than his lens converter for his Canon camera. Another said he knew what his next camera was going to be. Another who is a world traveler said that these cameras cost less here than they do in Asia. He didn’t own a m 4/3 but was thinking about it.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike
  2. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    I had never seen one till I went on a group shoot. I was so impressed I started saving up for one
  3. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    I think I own the only MU/43rd's camera in the Transylvania County area of Western North Crolina. At all of he major photographic "hot-spots" around here, I have ne er seen one.

Kanasgowa Tom
  4. arg245

arg245 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    South Florida
    Exactly my experience. Other than the GF3 and it's brethren, cameras like the G3 and GH2 aren't available to see in local stores such as Best Buy and the like. It was only after I acquired my G3, and showed it off to our camera club, that two other members embraced the format and went and got theirs.

I believe if the local stores carried more of the models, they would be experiencing a much wider acceptance, and subsequent market share.
  5. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    Twice in the last week someone asked me if my EPL-1 with a Minolta 28mm legacy lens was a film camera. They have no idea and the commercials don't show the merits of m4/3 The new Olympus ads for the Pen is terrible and isn't directed toward the more serious photographer IMO.
  6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

It amazes me how so many, even so called enthusiasts, do not keep up with current photographic tech. Soccer moms and dads I understand but photography club members ?! Maybe they're just there looking for a date. :biggrin:
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I just spent a few days in NYC and a few days on a cruise. Tons of cameras. The only m4/3s cam I saw other than my E-PM1 was an E-PL1 with kit lens. It looked like it had lots of miles on it.

It's amazing that this gear is still pretty much of a secret in the US.
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Mu43 cameras are pretty common around here (at least, not a rarity, and on display at all big box stores), but remember a lot of semi-serious photographers just like taking photographs, and will research stuff available for their own systems, but not necessarily know what other brands are up to. Once you 'lock in' to Nikon or Canon, most don't switch out.
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    As I reported in another thread, on a recent visit to 10 different European cities, 99% of the ILCs I saw were DSLRs. I saw maybe half a dozen m43 cameras in 2 weeks. On a vacation to New Orleans last fall I saw 1 person using a red G2, and noticed one person with a NEX. Otherwise, it was all DSLRs.

Market penetration, and awareness, is very poor in the US. I saw an Oly ad on ESPN a couple of days ago, so maybe that will start to change.
  10. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    I saw a GH2 once in the Eukanuba Dog Show...a man had it on a tripod taking video of his mother who was showing her dog.
  11. Barb

Barb Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I am a long time member of several camera clubs and you are so right about locking into systems. But with Canon and Nikon the investment is so huge that moving can be a major cost factor - in both selling (at a loss, really, since you never get back what you spent) and rebuying new is also expensive. And then there is the status issue and the ego factor. I had Canon for over a dozen years, with a HUGE investment in some 16 lenses. So moving to Nikon was never going to happen. However, selling all and moving to OMD was a good decision considering the quality of the equipment, the decreased cost, and the decreased weight factor. It did suprise people but now others in both my clubs are moving to MFT and the similar Sony NEX. I believe others will follow as Canon and Nikon grow more and more expensive and other alternate equipment of quality continues come online.
  12. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    What a tread's title :D I will not be able to sleep tonight - what an awful world...

But in my country (Poland) mirrorless system are becoming more common but still mistaken with DSLRs which are far more polular.
  13. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    One of my LiveJournal contacts had one (he's a photographer) and was recommending it as a second camera. I saw the GF1 in the DC area before I left for Nicaragua after selling all the heavy camera gear, but it was a bit more than I wanted to pay at the time. Got one used and I suspect it's the only m43 in Nicaragua owned by a resident. Cameras are usually point and shoots here, although the Migracion office that takes residency card photos has a lot of mid-range Canon DSLRs strapped down in photo booths.
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I find the title of this thread ironic/interesting in the sense that our community on the other, likes to boast about the popularity & sales of Micro Four Thirds....
  15. bdobyns

bdobyns New to Mu-43

May 16, 2012
    My having a m4/3 camera, and the access it gives to just about any legacy lens I like, has converted three co-workers who've seen the results of my ebay bottom-fishing show up via UPS and USPS.

They all got one of the oly m4/3 and started by clearing out the closet of a relative for some legacy lenses to begin with.

While I love putting the E-P1 with the lumix 14mm in my pants pocket for carry convenience, as many other posters have noted, it's more of a conversation starter with a legacy lens and out in view, especially since it looks like an old school film camera.
  16. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    ive had a few people with 5xxx series nikons(which arent LARGE) ask me about my camera and mention how nice it is that its small(ep3/em5)
    and complain that they never take their "huge" camera anywhere
    i think olympus and panasonic need to go on meetup and start infiltrating photo clubs in big cities with a pro using a m43 to strike up extra interest!

*steeples michievously*
  17. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    What I find interesting is that other photographers (mostly toting Can-Nikon DSLRs)who see me with my E-Ps assume I am using a vintage film camera of some sort, especially when I am using legacy glass and the VF-1. I don't mind.
  18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I would debate that this is due in part because they see your legacy glass first :smile:
  19. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Agreed. And that was part of my attraction to :43:
  20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    the vf1 and the panasonic ovf for 24mm equiv really throws people off
    i did shots for an xmas party, and everyone wanted to look thru the ovf, like it was magic or something... i kept saying "no no no, the magic is in this $800 lens! not that $50 ovf!" but it all fell on deaf ears. lol