Many lenses to choose from

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by larsmpls, Dec 8, 2010.

1. larsmpls

larsmpls New to Mu-43

Dec 8, 2010
    I'm about to pull the trigger and pickup a Panasonic G1, mostly to put any number of legacy lenses on. but that's the biggest problem. Which mount? I have LTM 39mm, Nikon, Canon FD, and Pentax 42mm screw primarily, ranging from 17mm to 500 mm. All kinds of interesting makes and models. But which would be the least troublesome?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've tried FD and Takumar screws (also EOS, MD and OM). The best one's so far have been Takumar and OM for me. The Takumar 135/3.5 is very nice, and the 50/1.4 is reasonable past f/2.0. I also use the OM 50mm 2.0 macro which is very nice.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I just buy an adapter for each lens. That way I don't have to switch them. Can't get any less troublesome than that.

4. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    The Leica Mount lenses and adapter tend to be smaller than SLR lenses.

I end up with Leica Mount lenses on my EP2 most of the time, despite also having M42, Olympus, Nikon, Canon, and Konica adapters.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I know what you mean, I have a few Pen-F lenses and I always seem to have them on instead of the SLR lenses (although they are coincidentally my better lenses)

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Due to size and the fact that I shoot primarily with M-mount lenses, I too generally adapt those lenses to my E-PL1. As already mentioned, they also tend to be smaller because of the short flange distance of rangefinders.

With that said, I'd be more inclined to start with the M42's as my recommendation. I'm biased because I do have a rather large collection. Its loads of fun. The adapters are extremely simplistic and rather inexpensive (rainbowimaging on ebay). As mentioned, buy multiple adapters. This is especially true with screw type mounts such as the M42. Its a whole lot easier to keep the adapters attached to lens and detached via the m4/3rds bayonet style mount. Also most Takumars and many other M42's come with a auto/manual switch or are of preset design to allow quick stopping down of the aperture diaphragm... sure helps in critical focus.

Here's a few from my E-PL1 samples with the M42 pentax/takumars adapted as a teaser of what is in store.

SMC Takumar 100mm Macro

[​IMG]

Takumar 500mm f/4.5

[​IMG]

Someone already mentioned the SMC Takumar 135mm

[​IMG]

I've got a ton of use out of my two m4/3rds.. with adapted lenses. In due time, you'll end up with adapters for all your lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I too find it much easier and faster to switch lenses with adapters already attached. Less likely to get trash in while trying to hold too many pieces to get the right combo together. I actually use 2 or 3 different brand lenses as I only have 1 adapter for each. It also makes it easier to quickly switch to m4/3 lens if I need to. Everything comes off at camera and you also use the micro lens caps. Again less confusion. It has worked out, that the best of my lenses are:
    long lens: Vivitar Series 1 Second version (Tokina), 70-210mm 3.5
    Portrait: Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4
    Wide: Panasonic 14-45mm
    I have many others but with these I'm covered and life is simple.