Many Adobe Products to Become Subscription Only

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Promit, May 6, 2013.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Per The Verge and several other outlets:
    So that's an interesting and rather bold move to make. In short, there will be no more releases of Creative Suite; CS6 is it. Instead you must sign up for the monthly subscription service.

I (and the rest of my office) currently subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud. It is an excellent service that gives me a wide range of tools for a trivial amount of money (as a professional). But subscriptions aren't for everyone, and I can imagine this will annoy a lot of people. The subscription price is similar to buying every version of CS when it is released. But who actually does that? Most people I know spring for a copy of CS once and use it for many years.

Definitely a mixed bag. If you're not in the camp who wants to spend $600/year on Photoshop/Premiere/etc, now might be a good time to pick up a copy of CS6.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I wonder how Lightroom will be affected, if at all by this. I hope it remains a standalone. I've already replaced Photoshop CS with Pixelmator for the amount of Photoshop that I actually use.

3. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Ouch... that's a heavy price. I get why they're doing it. Photoshop is probably one of the most pirated softwares online, but forcing people to pay every year to what amounts to the full price is just flat out being greedy.

It would have made more sense to move to a system similar to Steam if they're so concerned about piracy. In the long run, it's probably going to hurt the pros more than it's going to hurt the casual amateur that downloads photoshop for the hell of it. After all, pros (generally) pays for their software, the amateur (probably) wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

4. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Per the Lightroom Journal Blog:

So that's a good thing all around.

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I guess Adobe's consumer line of products would probably remain as standalone products too? e.g. Photoshop Elements.

6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    And I bet the pirating for CS6 just increased a whole ton....

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I believe so, yes. It's only things that were Creative Suite, and I guess LR is excepted.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have CS5 but I rarely use it anymore. LR does most everything that I need to do. This move by Adobe is irritating, but I'll manage. :irked:

9. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    I'm with dav1dz here- I've switched to Pixelmator for the small amount of pixel pushing I need. And I'm glad to see that LR will still be a standalone product...

Seems like a great option for those that use several different Adobe products... but what about us that might just want to use 1 or 2? If they came up with a way to prorate your fee based on usage (say, $5 a program or something), then I'd be 100% behind this. I'd even sign a yearly subscription. But I don't like the idea that it's an all or nothing proposition. And $49/month is really pricey for non professionals.

I guess creative cloud has been so effective in shoring up revenue they are just going all in? I simply hope they don't push all us more casual users completely out of our price range, and out of their products.

10. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Oh good . . . I've been priced out of Photoshop forever. :\

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I personally think this will cost Adobe a lot of users! Many will switch but others will go elsewhere or make due with CS6 for as long as possible. I doubt this will really help much with the piracy problem. A hacker will just have to figure out how to by-pass the monthly check the software does.

12. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    [QUOTE="cdmicha;446152"
    Seems like a great option for those that use several different Adobe products... but what about us that might just want to use 1 or 2? If they came up with a way to prorate your fee based on usage (say, $5 a program or something), then I'd be 100% behind this. I'd even sign a yearly subscription. But I don't like the idea that it's an all or nothing proposition. And $49/month is really pricey for non professionals..[/QUOTE]

You can buy (rent?) individual programs for $10/month.

13. Gurin

Gurin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Sweden
    That’s it then. No more upgrades. My wife will go bonkers, her most used program except for different browsers is probably InDesign. She will never, ever, ever use anything cloud based. She is an artist and she will absolutely not store anything on anyone else’s server. She doesn’t even want to connect her main workstation to the internet, so I guess it is now goodbye Adobe.

Are there any competitors to InDesign on a widows based platform?

14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    You download the programs and you can keep all of your content local. You can however, store content in Adobe's cloud ala Dropbox but it is not essential.

15. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    It would not matter to me what they charged for Photoshop, I do not use that software for processing of my digital images. I use Lightroom 4 for doing my image processing and I only use CS6 when I wish to do any kind of digital painting, such as oil, water or acrylic digital painting. I only purchased CS6 because they added the oil painting filter into CS6 rather than when it was an add on in CS5. I can do without Photoshop upgrades in the future even if they deleted that oil painting filter from Photoshop since I can use what is in CS6 or what is an add on in CS5.

16. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

WHERE? The price I see on the Adobe site is $19.95 a month for a single app, not $10. If you use it enough the $20 a month isn't bad but it is high for the average guy who doesn't use it much. Adobe needs to have a "home user" plan.

The more I think about it the more I think it is a good idea for professionals. It can be used as stand alone, although it does have to be connected to the internet once a month for subscription update. For a big business the "team" plan is a super deal. Even a small business that uses it a lot saves money and gets updated versions at no extra cost.

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Just to be clear, you're not required to store or edit files in their cloud service, although that is available. What happens that once a month, the program connects to the internet to refresh your license for another month. It will complain and shut off if it can't connect.

So your wife will have to connect her main workstation once in a while under this scheme.

18. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Yep, I make my living with Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Fireworks, and I feel that Creative Cloud is a decent enough deal (that's paid off by my freelance work and is written off by my CPA). It was never meant for hobbyist photographers and all of the online complaining by that community isn't going to translate into lost revenue for Adobe IMO.

19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    If they force me to subscribe to future upgrades, they have lost my business for good.
    That's not how I want to work. I like Adobe products, but they are not the only show in town, and I won't be forced by them into something I do not want.

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    There's another thread with a very similar topic. Links are here:

https://www.mu-43.com/f74/no-new-photoshop-cs7-creative-cloud-only-45749/index6.html#post446557