1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Manually access sensor cleaning - EPL2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DDBazooka, Sep 16, 2011.

1. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Is it possible? I can't seem to find it in the menus anywhere. I just feel better knowing I "manually" did it because the camera gives no indication of running it on startup...unless the ridiculous startup times count:biggrin:

2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I don't know about manually using it, but if you don't have a lens on it you should be able to see the sensor vibrate to verify the self clean.

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I believe it activates every time you turn the camera on. The self clean happens very quickly.
    As such there never should be a need to manually activate it if you don't leave the camera on when changing lenses (which you shouldn't be doing).

If the sensor looks clean when you take the lens off, then why would you need a clean additional to the start up one?

I can't detect the self clean happening on my EPL1, but I don't think the sensor would be crystal clean after many lens changes over the course of a year if it wasn't.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, it operates every time you turn the camera on. There is no manual activation, nor is there a blue indicator light like the E-System cameras had.

Neither is there a cleaning mode on the PEN cameras, as there is no mirror so the sensor is always exposed for cleaning. ;)

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And you will not see and shaking. Ultrasonic cannot be seen without specialized tools.

6. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I can certainly see mine shake, but maybe I just have good vision. I do like carrots....

7. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    That's not the ultrasonic, that's the ibis mechanism, which should be really obvious to the eye.

8. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    on my E-pl1 there is a small icon on the top left corner which indicates a sensor clean when i power up. at least i am assuming it means a cleaner

9. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Same here.

It's a little screen with rounded corners and 3 little crosses/stars coming out of it. Never noticed it before. It's only there for a second.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That icon actually shows up on the top-right of the E-PL2...

• Useful Useful x 1