1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

manual Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 vs Helios 44-2 58mm f2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by vimar, Nov 29, 2015.

1. vimar

vimar New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2015
    Hi all,

I bought an m10 with 14-42 EZ + Panasonic 20mm and now I am looking for some manual lenses for fun.

I found good Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 and Tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6 for relatively cheap and I will certainly get the latter. At home I dug up a Helios 44-2 58mm f2 and was wondering whether it is worth getting the Pentax. As of now, I don't have any adapters for either.

What do you think?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you already have the helios, I'd say skip the Pentax. I'd probably also skip the Pentax telephoto and find a Olympus 40-150. Old telephotos are kind of a pain to use, and the 40-150 can be as low as $50-60 used.

3. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I have the Helios 44M-7 lens, also 58mm/2, and I like it. Depending on how good a deal you're being offered, you could buy the Pentax and then sell either it or the Helios later.

My Helios has an M42 screw mount, so it uses the same adapter as my old Takumar lenses. The Pentax-A would use the newer K bayonet mount.

Have you checked the Adapted Lens Sample Images forum? You might preview what the lenses can do.

4. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I have 2 Helios 44-2's and I enjoy using them, mostly for nature shots. If you already have one, you should definitely get an adapter. The 44-2 probably isn't as easy to use as the Pentax though. I also have a big zoom, Vivitar 75-205, and I almost never use it. It just doesn't feel right to me on my G2.

5. vimar

vimar New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2015
    Thanks for the input!
    The Helios cannot be sold - it's a family matter.
    I'll get them and decide afterwards. I realized I am very curious to feel the different lenses. If I get some nice results, I may update the sample topics for each.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Adapted zooms have many downsides: it's too complicated to constantly update the IBIS focal length value, they are too long/slow to be happily used without it, IQ is worse than primes, they weight ton and most zoom focal lengths are not that interesting when compared to native lenses, unless you go for the long tele zooms that are simply huge. This is my experience.

My advice is to go for special lenses only and maybe a cheap focal reducer (Roxsen), but it really depends on what you are looking for (wide, tele, bokeh). You can easily end up buying three or four $30 where you can get a good one with $60. Unless this is just for fun, then just get an adapter for the Helios.

On my wishlist there are the MIR-24H 35/f2, Super Takumar 200/3.5, Super Takumar 85/1.9, Jupiter-9 85/2, Nikon 105/2.5, Meyer-optik Orestor 100/2.8 or a Trioplan/Domiplan (some of these are huge monsters). And even the Helios 44-2. I doubt I'll ever get all of these.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    If I was looking for a manual focus "tele" to adapt to a m4/3 camera, it would probably be a 35-105mm.
    The size is not as small as a native tele lens, but probably still manageable and it would be the equivalent angle of view of a 70-210mm full frame lens.
    As you are inclined to try Pentax K bayonet mount lenses, look at this beauty with constant f3.5 aperture:
    [​IMG]