Manual lens disables IBIS?

beameup

Mu-43 Regular
Olympus' Super Control Panel is an important feature and should prove very handy.
Setting the Stabilization is pretty easy to access from the SCP. I have 3 manual focus lenses (9mm & 15mm body-cap + 28mm).

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
The E-m1 mark II/III, E-m1x, and E-m5 mark III have a menu (cogs -> H1 in the E-m5 mark III) that allows to you to save up to 10 lenses and select from it later. It asks for the lens name, aperture value, and focal length. The name and focal length are copied into the EXIF information. This way, you can identify pictures later taken with a given manual lens, and also setup the proper IBIS value.
THANK YOU for posting this! This is a feature that I have used on my Nikon bodies with my Nikkor AIS MF lenses since the D700 had it back in 2009. It was a feature very much missed on my original EM1's and G9 and I was not aware the newer Olympus bodies had this. It was so easy to simply bush a button the turn a dial to choose from the 10 preset lenses, and I see that Olympus has also allowed 10 lens setting to be stored. My EM1 MKIII will (finally) be here on Monday and this is one of the first settings I will set up as I will use a couple of the AIS lenses, the 50mm f1.2 and 105mm f2.5 for portraits, and the Laowa 7.5mm f2 for landscapes with the new body.

Page 239 of the EM1 MK III manual calls this [Lens Info Settings] and says:
"The camera can store information for up to 10 lenses that do not conform to the Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds system standards. These data also supply the focal length used for the image stabilization and keystone compensation features.
• This item applies during both still photography and movie recording. [Lens Info Settings] can be assigned to a button. The button can then be used to recall lens info, for example after lenses are exchanged"

Last edited:
Yes, this is a very useful function indeed (that I had forgotten... I'll try to use it as I just bought a 7artisans 35 mm f/1.2 lens)
Especially with IBIS.

Too bad there's no easy way to access it (easier than getting into H1 menu, or to use a Fn button for this).

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Yes, this is a very useful function indeed (that I had forgotten... I'll try to use it as I just bought a 7artisans 35 mm f/1.2 lens)
Especially with IBIS.

Too bad there's no easy way to access it (easier than getting into H1 menu, or to use a Fn button for this).
From my post above, a direct quote from the manual: "[Lens Info Settings] can be assigned to a button. The button can then be used to recall lens info, for example after lenses are exchanged". So this can be assigned to a button is the way I read it?

Last edited:
From my post above, a direct quote from the manual: "[Lens Info Settings] can be assigned to a button. The button can then be used to recall lens info, for example after lenses are exchanged". So this can be assigned to a button is the way I read it?
Yes, that what I meant by "or use a Fn button for this".
I don't have enough buttons on my E-M5.3 to allow the use one for this function.
A shortcut on the SCP would be the best way to get this (as for Focus limiter, or some functions that I use only from time to time).
If there were several Custom positions on the menu dial, I would have affected one to "manual lens configuration"... with a specific button assignment. But there is only one C mode :)

It's not a big deal though, getting to H1 menu is not so long as soon as you remember where to look.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Understand, limited buttons and C postion on the EM5.3. Does your EM5.3 have the My Menu option, you could put it there? If not maybe in the next FW upgrade.

With my new EM1.3 having 4 selectable C modes, and now there being this Lens Info Setting I plan on doing just that having one setup for manual lenses.

It would be great if we could customize items to appear in the SCP menu, as many of those that appear I have never used or never will. My Sony A7 has a FN button option that brings up a 10 slot user-selectable SCP like menu and I use this shortcut all the time, a real timesaver.

Last edited:
Understand, limited buttons and C postion on the EM5.3. Does your EM5.3 have the My Menu option, you could put it there? If not maybe in the next FW upgrade.
No, no MyMenu option yet (not sure I'll get it).
There are already a fair number of buttons on the EM5.3. I could have 2 more if I choose to sacrifice the direct access to the AF point selection, but I perfer not to.
(that's totally useless when using MF lenses... but much more comfortable with AF lenses)
Access through SCP would be my prefered choice for this kind of option.

It would be great if we could customize items to appear in the SCP menu, as many of those that appear I have never used or never will. My Sony A7 has a FN button option that brings up a 10 slot user-selectable SCP like menu and I use this shortcut all the time, a real timesaver.
My GM5 has "virtual buttons" on screen. And a custom quick menu.

I have been using an Olympus E-M5 with MF lenses for some time. I had buttons set up this way. One for switching to MF, and another for switching on magnify. Half pressing shutter button while image is magnified gets IBIS working which helps a lot to fine focus.

Recently, I found to my great annoyance that when I half press the shutter button, I lose the magnification. I thought that the camera must have developed a software glitch! So I reset to factory settings, but that didn't help.

Finally, I searched and found the answer in a 2012 thread on dpreview. The LV close up mode has to be set to mode 2 for this desirable feature to work. Although I don't know how I lost my original settings in the first place, I am glad that I now know one more thing about my 8 year old camera!

I post this here in the hope that someone may benefit from this information. I hope I didn't repeat something others have already said on this forum!

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
So this [selecting manual lenses] can be assigned to a button is the way I read it?
Yes! I have mine assigned to the "outie" button on the front of my E-M1.2. (I have the "innie" button assigned to focus peaking.)

I only wish there were more than ten settings. If you have a focal reducer and one or two tele-extenders, you can nearly fill up that menu with just three lenses — and I have a dozen or so legacy lenses I regularly use!

How much RAM would it take to have a bottomless list, sorted by last used? I sent this to their engineers, and got a form mail "thank you for your suggestion" response.

I can understand how some marketing type might think that making it easier to use older lenses will cut into current lens sales, but for me, good support for older lenses is high on the list for reasons I even bought the camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom