1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Manual Foucsing and Ibis

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aage, Jul 15, 2012.

1. aage

aage Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012
    Iceland
    Hi all. I have had and enjoyed a lot my OMD EM5 for a while now. I like to try out some older nikon lenses with it.

I like to ask. What is the best way to set up the camera for easy manual focusing.

Is there a way to get the EVF stabilized while your using the Magnification View with these lenses ?

Thanks in advance :).

2. TDP

TDP Guest

I have an EM5 and Voigtlander 25 for it, as well as an adapter so I can use my Zeiss 35 SLR lens on it. I find even hand-held using the magnifier function makes manual focusing easy. I mapped the button to the right of the play button to be the magnifier.

I get my focus close, hit the button two times (once for the green box, the second time for the zoom in), tune the focus and adjust the f-stop if my DOF is too shallow, hold down the shutter button for a sec (kicks you back into normal view) for the IBIS to kick in the take the shot.

If I'm doing a walk and shoot I put the lens in f4.0 or 8, zone focus and just shoot.

Today for the first time in a LONG time I picked up my 5DII an Zeiss 35 to take some shots. Even with the red box blink and green dot solid indicator in the 5DIIs viewfinder I realized the EM5 is easier to manual focus.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In Custom menu C, set Half Way Rls With IS to On.
    In Custom menu D, set LV Close Up Mode to mode 2.

When you magnify the view, half-pressing the shutter should stabilize the EVF.

Make sure to dial in the correct focal length in the IS tab first.

DH

4. aage

aage Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012
    Iceland
    Thanks ALOT :)

Excellent guys :).

Thanks a lot. Its now working as I wanted it to.

"In Custom menu D, set LV Close Up Mode to mode 2".

This is what was missing. Now its like a dream using the old manual focus lenses :).

I have few Zeiss/Nikon lenses and like to try them out on this camera.