Manual focussing on theOM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by c_henry, Sep 18, 2012.

1. c_henry

c_henry Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Am I the only one who finds it *really* difficult to focus manually on the OM-D?

I try and focus, but the focus point moves, then I use the arrow buttons to move the focus point towhere I want it, but because it's magnified I can't see what it's focussed on, because it's blurred!

Anyone got any tips?

2. edysing

edysing New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2012
    If I am not mistaken, when in zoom mode, it start with 10x zoom so it is maybe to close to the subject you're focusing. But if you turn one of the dial, I forgot which one, you can decrease the zoom to 7x and 5x zoom. You can make adjustment easier.
  3. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    I have found that the magnified view is helpful for fine focus. I have it set so it stays magnified until I disable it with a button press. The negative is that composing can be a challenge when you are magnified at 14X (you can't see the forest for the trees). Sometimes I back it off to 7X or 10X.

I have found that the EVF is actually sharp enough that manual focus can be accomplished pretty well in non-magnified view mode. I find that to be much quicker. As many others have said, focus peaking would be very helpful. maybe someday it will be available via a firmware update.
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Are you using a manual lens or one of the micro43 lenses? I can understand the latter being a pain. They are pretty hard to focus because the action is so slow. Best to get close in AF mode and fine tune.

I've no problem at all with manual lenses on the EM5. I get it close using the EVF or LCD and then use the magnify mode. If I am using a crappy low contrast lens, then it might be harder to see.
  5. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    I have my video button set up for MF, so I use AF and then switch to MF when I want to fine tune. I am not quick but I have got quicker with practice, and I find that it is easier on 5x than the (I think) default 10
  6. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    I was referring to legacy 4/3 lenses that are slow to focus (and can sometimes miss focus). I often use MF for those lenses. I rarely use MF for m4/3 native lenses and while I have some older lenses that are manual focus only they haven't spent much time on my E-M5 but I'll check them out. I have a OM macro lens that would probably be a good candidate to test.